• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: NFL thread

Peyton Manning's biggest mistake was not taking the 49ers offer....

That team would have won the last 2 Superbowls with Manning....

ESPN's report was that Manning did not want the pressure of having to top the season that Alex Smith just had (Conference Finals)...he preferred the lower pressure of having to take over a Denver team with no expectations after Tim Tebow's season. Especially when he didn't know how his neck would hold up after all those surgeries.

Manning should have sucked it up and went to San Francisco...that team would be close to unbeatable with Manning over the last 2 years. Awesome Offense + Incredible Defense

You forgot to add in Aikman who is 3-0 in the big game

Elway 2-3, Brady 3-2, only Montana and Bradshaw have better records in the SB than Aikman.

Peyton Manning's biggest mistake was not taking the 49ers offer....

That team would have won the last 2 Superbowls with Manning....

ESPN's report was that Manning did not want the pressure of having to top the season that Alex Smith just had (Conference Finals)...he preferred the lower pressure of having to take over a Denver team with no expectations after Tim Tebow's season. Especially when he didn't know how his neck would hold up after all those surgeries.

Manning should have sucked it up and went to San Francisco...that team would be close to unbeatable with Manning over the last 2 years. Awesome Offense + Incredible Defense

Sure, but the reason that team (and Seattle too) was so damn good was because the QB was making peanuts.

Team would have looked drastically different had PM been the QB.

Seattle was smart last year, they held, interfered etc on every pass play knowing the refs would not throw a flag on every play.

Sure, but the reason that team (and Seattle too) was so damn good was because the QB was making peanuts.

Team would have looked drastically different had PM been the QB.

Core guys were already there and signed....

Seattle was smart last year, they held, interfered etc on every pass play knowing the refs would not throw a flag on every play.

Don't be so bitter. The Seahawks were full value for their victory last season. They didn't cheat more than any other team does. If anything, the powers-that-be would have been against them. The NFL would rather have a white living legend like Manning hoisting the Lombardi Trophy than a non-descript black guy like Wilson.

Well, if you know this, so does every other team in the NFL. Maybe they should stop being such pantywaists and play some damn football.

the teams figure once the season starts, the calls will slow down

I watched the Cowboys Dolphins game last night, on the winning Dolphin drive I believe they had three automatic first downs by D penalties, one was obvious, a helmet to helmet personal foul but the others looked like panty waist calls on the DBs. Face it, the NFL wants more of the 51-48 Broncos-Cowboys games than a 10-7 Steeler-Raven game.

The amount of penalties in games is getting ridiculous, a lot of really stupid shit are called.

I don't believe the Seahawks got preferred treatment, they played on the line all season and got rightly called when they crossed that line. Defenders are allowed contact with the receivers within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage and the Seahawks have been doing it on every play as they're allowed to.

That whining that the Seahawks got away with more stuff than other teams is ridiculous.

The amount of penalties in games is getting ridiculous, a lot of really stupid shit are called.

I don't believe the Seahawks got preferred treatment, they played on the line all season and got rightly called when they crossed that line. Defenders are allowed contact with the receivers within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage and the Seahawks have been doing it on every play as they're allowed to.

That whining that the Seahawks got away with more stuff than other teams is ridiculous.

I believe Carroll rightly knew the refs would not call all downfield illegal contact. If Sherman were correctly called all the time, you would get first downs all game long. No way someone like him can stop every receiver with the rules as they are. They changed the rules to some extent re the Patriots too after they manhandled the Colts' WRs constantly.

I doubt the refs will call the game correctly as there will be 4 hour games all season long. They will make college games looks quick.

It will be interesting to see if Sherman can stop Bryant this year. Bryant is a physical beast who pretty much dominates every DB he faces. Seahawks will beat the Cowboys badly no doubt but Bryant should be able to abuse Sherman if the rules are called the right way.

I believe Carroll rightly knew the refs would not call all downfield illegal contact. If Sherman were correctly called all the time, you would get first downs all game long. No way someone like him can stop every receiver with the rules as they are. They changed the rules to some extent re the Patriots too after they manhandled the Colts' WRs constantly.

I doubt the refs will call the game correctly as there will be 4 hour games all season long. They will make college games looks quick.

It will be interesting to see if Sherman can stop Bryant this year. Bryant is a physical beast who pretty much dominates every DB he faces. Seahawks will beat the Cowboys badly no doubt but Bryant should be able to abuse Sherman if the rules are called the right way.

Bryant is a beast but his always his biggest enemy, not the smartest player in the NHL. Sherman on the other hand is a pretty smart player, he knows the game well and knows exactly how much he can get away with. Btw, outside of his taunting penalty against SF, he only received one penalty in the playoffs. It's not hard to stop receivers when QB won't throw in your direction.

Long piece on Jerry Jones in ESPN. He wanted Johnny Football with the #16 pick but he let himself be overruled by his underlings.

He gives himself a C grade as GM.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11420510/dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-wants-known-football-man

There are big problems with that article in that no one saw Stephen rip the card from him to prevent him from drafting Manziel. He ended up taking the best player on their board so while I don't like him as GM, there is no need for ESPN to make stuff up. Lord knows Jerry gives them enough real material to write about.

Back