• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hockey Media & Business Thread

Re: Hockey Media Thread

110+120= 230

6 months of Rogers Super sports pack, which includes CHL, Center Ice, Sunday Ticket etc. is 30 bucks a month. 6 months of that, which covers the season, is cheaper and also not illegal. Pretty sure you have to your Roku jailbroken to run Hockeystreams as well, correct?

Well once you buy the Roku it's yours to keep and has a bunch of other great apps. No jailbreaking anything. Just add the app and you're set. I don't believe Hockeystreams is illegal.

Well once you buy the Roku it's yours to keep and has a bunch of other great apps. No jailbreaking anything. Just add the app and you're set. I don't believe Hockeystreams is illegal.

there's no way its legal. If they have UFC streams and other pay-per view stuff, plus hockey that the NHL has their own pay options for, its not legal.

Not that I have a morale objection to it, but I'd be hesitant to shell out $$$ for the kind of website that could get shut down at any time

there's no way its legal. If they have UFC streams and other pay-per view stuff, plus hockey that the NHL has their own pay options for, its not legal.

Not that I have a morale objection to it, but I'd be hesitant to shell out $$$ for the kind of website that could get shut down at any time

Just wait. a couple of days before the Super Bowl is played the US Department of Homeland Security will seize the domains of all these illegal sites. Happens every year. That's what they did to ATDHE. Sure, another ATDHE site sprung up to take its place, but it wasn't in time for the Super Bowl. It took a few months.

Here's a quote I found from someone else about the legalities.

"They're in a "grey market" - their servers are outside of any jurisdiction that would allow the NHL to come after them. (I don't know where they stream from, but there's a data-center on Mohawk land in Quebec that was popular with gambling sites for years). Anyways, the NHL hasn't been able to move against them to date."

110+120= 230

6 months of Rogers Super sports pack, which includes CHL, Center Ice, Sunday Ticket etc. is 30 bucks a month. 6 months of that, which covers the season, is cheaper and also not illegal. Pretty sure you have to your Roku jailbroken to run Hockeystreams as well, correct?

It's not $30 a month. It's like $230 plus taxes for the season. I couldn't just cancel it anytime.

I'm going to look into this Roku3.

It's not $30 a month. It's like $230 plus taxes for the season. I couldn't just cancel it anytime.

I'm going to look into this Roku3.

used to be a minimum 4 month commitment. Its 36 bucks a month now, but you also get Sunday Ticket

Guess we're torn- use an illegal service or give in to the NHL.

used to be a minimum 4 month commitment. Its 36 bucks a month now, but you also get Sunday Ticket

Yeah I've been paying $250 a year for Center Ice but they've slowly been taking games away from me. So **** em.... if they won't let me watch any game I want for my $250 I'll go elsewhere and pay less while I'm at it.

Still no-one has explained how to avoid downloading caps imposed by the ISP if watching games online. Mine is low and I'm sure I will surpass it in a week.

I'm not a huge fan of quasi-illegal sites like hockeystreams but I might bite the bullet this year... I have an Apple TV and an Iphone (along with my 7 year old ipod nano, the only apple products I own, I promise) and it looks like it would be simple to stream the games from my iphone to TV in HD.

It's really annoying that you pay good money for NHL GameCenter and they don't let you watch local games, that makes it pretty useless in Canada...

Yeah I've been paying $250 a year for Center Ice but they've slowly been taking games away from me. So **** em.... if they won't let me watch any game I want for my $250 I'll go elsewhere and pay less while I'm at it.

What games have they been taking away?

That's right. I'm on the fence here. Don't really want to give into NHL. I'm just concerned that one day I come home and the games online are no longer there.

Ya. Jailbreaking is only something you have to do with apple because they are an evil evil company.

Still no-one has explained how to avoid downloading caps imposed by the ISP if watching games online. Mine is low and I'm sure I will surpass it in a week.

Get a better ISP.
ie: not one of the big guys

I don't understand this downloading cap people are talking about. That went the way of the Dodo here years ago.

I don't understand this downloading cap people are talking about. That went the way of the Dodo here years ago.

I still technically have a cap....I go over every month. Just no charge for it.

Seems like Rogers does it though.

Oh and angelfish....my brother is on acanac....it is great.

In Canada (with Dodo-age internet) most ISP's still have caps. My cap with Teksavvy is like 150 GB and I don't come close to it even though I netflix and download games pretty often....

What games have they been taking away?

Last year they took away all Winnipeg games and you had to buy TSN Jets to see those games. So when they played Montreal I had to watch on RDS which is apparently going away this year. When they played the Pens the wife had to watch on some grainy internet feed. When I pay $250 a year to watch "every game" then I damn well want to watch every game.

Back