• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hockey Media & Business Thread

WeHaveMoreCupsThanYou

I will get banned again soon, worry not.
From the TSN website:

"Headlining the NHL ON TSN's Canadian team coverage during the regular season is 17 Toronto games along with 15 Montreal games, 10 games for Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver, and five games for Winnipeg."

Have the idiots who run TSN not yet figured out that no one outside of the 416 area code wants to watch Burkie's Boys? Maybe they need to start another TSN channel: TSN-TO which will only be available in the GTA. Then they can fat-pack it with as much Leafs coverage as their hearts desire while leaving the old TSN that everyone else in the country watches free of their blue and white crapulence.

Re: Thank God for RDS. TSN schedule once again loaded with Leafs games

I'm not sure but I think the Habs have led the way the past few years on TSN with games shown. TSN has to show Leafs games in the regular season because we all know there will be no Leafs games to watch come playoff time.

We have had more on TSN the last few years.

Now if only Shaw Cable would pick up RDS HD!

Yep, you two are right, there have been more Habs regular season games on TSN than any other team the past few years.

We have had more on TSN the last few years.

Now if only Shaw Cable would pick up RDS HD!

Telus TV picked up RDS-HD last year. My biggest pain in the butt was when I moved in Feb 2010 and had to get rid of Bell ExpressVue because my strata didn't allow satellite dishes. I thought I'd be stuck with RDS in standard def forever. But before last season ended Telus finally came through.

I don't see Shaw adding it anytime soon. If they were ever going to do it, they'd have done it long ago.

Stupid thing is, Shaw Direct aka Star Choice offers it.

We have the most CBC games (26 to the Leafs 24) this year, although I suspect that CBC will show Leaf games for most of the country most of the time.

They are really pimping the small market Jets this year, 21 games on CBC.

When is the RDS contract up? I am sure Geoffrey can't wait to renegotiate that one.

Then, will they dump bad contracts in the AHL or put guys on waivers? Probably not. They make a lot of money as it is, and they don't do what's needed so the team looks like a contender going into the season.

Stupid thing is, Shaw Direct aka Star Choice offers it.

We have the most CBC games (26 to the Leafs 24) this year, although I suspect that CBC will show Leaf games for most of the country most of the time.

They are really pimping the small market Jets this year, 21 games on CBC.

Again, the devil is in the details. How many of those so-called "habs" telecasts are games against one of the other Canadian teams? If the Habs play the Nucks on a Saturday night (as they will this season) does it count as a Habs game, a Nucks game or both? The Habs may have 26 games to the Leafs 24 but how many of those games are against the Leafs?

For me the bottom line is this: if the Habs had failed to make the playoffs for 6 straight years, would they still be getting the lion's share of games the way the Leafs do? Because back in the late 90's when the Habs sucked their poor record was used as an excuse by the suits at HNIT for not showing them as much. But with the Leafs it doesn't matter how much they suck; they're always on.

The

That is true. I remember it started in 1998 when all of a sudden, not all Canadiens Sat games were on CBC and CBC actually showed Leaf games in Montreal against the SRC Canadiens' broadcast.

Again, the devil is in the details. How many of those so-called "habs" telecasts are games against one of the other Canadian teams? If the Habs play the Nucks on a Saturday night (as they will this season) does it count as a Habs game, a Nucks game or both? The Habs may have 26 games to the Leafs 24 but how many of those games are against the Leafs?

For me the bottom line is this: if the Habs had failed to make the playoffs for 6 straight years, would they still be getting the lion's share of games the way the Leafs do? Because back in the late 90's when the Habs sucked their poor record was used as an excuse by the suits at HNIT for not showing them as much. But with the Leafs it doesn't matter how much they suck; they're always on.

The

It wouldn't matter.... if they play each other 6 times this year both their televised games will go up by the same number.... as it stands, the leafs only get two more televised games than the habs.... it's not that bad really....

It's rare that I watch the English telecast anyway, so I don't really care.

Wonder who TSN will get to replace Pierre McGuire.

Are there any other hyper, bald guys that can't shut up for two seconds during a broadcast available? Maybe Darren Pang?

Last edited:

Wonder who TSN will get to replace Pierre McGuire.

Surely there must be an ex-Leafs or Bruins 4th line scrub/7th defenceman/3rd string goalie with a dislike for the Habs out there looking for work. Nevin Markwart? Alan Bester?

Nevin Markwart, damn that is a name from the past. He makes Alfie Turcotte look like a good draft choice.

Tie Domi for sure...

If I remember correctly, I think Domi had a brief stint on TSN a few seasons ago and basically made PJ Stock look like Dick Irvin.

When is the RDS contract up? I am sure Geoffrey can't wait to renegotiate that one.

Pretty solid contract: 24 M per season, which is in the top 3 in the league. I don't think they will go anywhere else: Bell is a minority partner of Geoff's team. Don't expect Bell to give the contract to TVA Sports, lol.

Back