• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

'Murica

https://www.theindychannel.com/news...hooter-situation-at-noblesville-middle-school

A middle school kid managed to get his hands on not one, but two hand guns.

****ing awesome.

Freedom!!! **** Yeah!!!!

When will you come to terms with the fact that this recent rash is not only about guns? Guns have been around in excess for 200 years. There is more going on here. Cyber-bullying, parental neglect, mental health issues etc. something is making these copycats go for the guns and it’s quite disconcerting.

I’d hazard a guess that social media is playing a big part of it.

We all know that’s crap.

Something is pushing these unstable kids over the edge. Yes they shouldn’t be anywhere near a gun but there’s more to it and I’m genuinely curious.

The U.S is a complete mess. I do agree, several factors play into it, but they need to restrict access to guns which will never occur. They can't even ban bump stocks. That's easier than fixing the dozens of other issues that are there.

When will you come to terms with the fact that this recent rash is not only about guns? Guns have been around in excess for 200 years. There is more going on here. Cyber-bullying, parental neglect, mental health issues etc. something is making these copycats go for the guns and it’s quite disconcerting.

True, a lot of American kids are on social media. Lots of American kids are being bullied. There is a lot of mental health issues that American kids are dealing with.

But are these issues really more prominent for American kids than with kids from other western nations?

The USA has the largest population in the western world so it stands to reason that it will have more people with mental instability.

The ratio is way off though. I'm guessing the mental illness per capita is similar to other Western countries. The murder rate seems to be a hell of a lot higher though.

This is satire, right?

The USA has the largest population in the western world so it stands to reason that it will have more people with mental instability.

I'll bite. Population of the USA. 325 million.

Combined population of Germany, France, Spain, Canada, Italy, Great Britain is 355 million.

Why do you think social media, mental health, online bullying, parental neglect, ect isn't producing the same amount of violence as the US despite having a greater combined population as the USA?

Last edited:
so the white house holds a presser but demands that it stay off the record.

the reporters dutifully report it, without reporting the source.

then Trump comes out today and yells at reporters for using fake sources.

which is scary evil shit of course.

but then the humour of it comes back in when of course we have recordings of this off the record presser.

I’m going to assume the genetic profile of metal health in the US is roughly similar to anywhere else in the world.

For matters like this, I will continue to point to the work by Deaton and Case which reveals a shocking divergence in US morbidity rates for middle aged white people from other similar cohorts. Scroll down and look at the chart: http://www.pnas.org/content/112/49/15078

“Deaths of despair”. Is there an underlying link to school shootings? I dunno, but I would suggest this might control for issues like social media, bullying, etc. They occur everywhere. Yet the results are starkly different.

This is satire, right?

Why would it be satire? I’m not arguing easy access to guns is a major problem. I’m not deflecting the impact of said access in any way. Are you so myopically focused on the gun aspect to be incapable of questioning why, when said guns have been around for centuries, there appears to be an increasing rash of school shootings?

I’m going to assume the genetic profile of metal health

SxydFtw.jpg

I’m going to assume the genetic profile of metal health in the US is roughly similar to anywhere else in the world.

For matters like this, I will continue to point to the work by Deaton and Case which reveals a shocking divergence in US morbidity rates for middle aged white people from other similar cohorts. Scroll down and look at the chart: http://www.pnas.org/content/112/49/15078

“Deaths of despair”. Is there an underlying link to school shootings? I dunno, but I would suggest this might control for issues like social media, bullying, etc. They occur everywhere. Yet the results are starkly different.

Would you know of any study revolving around parenting, specifically the nuclear family, comparing the statistics of different countries? I’m genuinely curious as to what the difference is. Is it easier to get a gun in the US? Absolutely. What is driving these kids to even want to kill other kids is my question? When I was younger and you had a serious issue with someone you got into a scrap. It usually sorted itself out after that. Today it seems these unstable kids just think “**** it, I’m going to kill them and ruin the lives of their families and my own too”.

I just don’t get what goes through their minds.

Whatever it is, its unique to America.

Online bullying. Every western country has it.

Mental health issues, every western country has it.

Violent video games and movies. Every western country has it.

Parental neglect, every western country has it.

Yet other countries are not experiencing a spike in young people killing others in schools.

I’d like to see specific numbers on all of it in comparison. I’ve been surfing but not really finding it.

Back