• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Is it your military experience that taught you to make up BS about this obvious political concession?

Is it your lack of any military experience that makes it impossible for you to see any action taken by the military without a political angle?

*D-Day was a reelection ploy for FDR

NK requested they not hold the joint military exercise in light of peace talks and the US/SK agreed not to. I'm not sure what the big deal is. Who cares if it is political, or tactical, or the intricacies of holding joint military exercises.

They agreed to give up something for the continued peace talks. Thats a concession.

Now pretending like you refuse to make any concessions when you already did is purely political.

Is it your lack of any military experience that makes it impossible for you to see any action taken by the military without a political angle?

*D-Day was a reelection ploy for FDR

you are telling me to pretend that the US changing the flight plans of the flights NK had just complained in the leadup to a summit wasn't political?

and you want me to pretend this just so you don't have to admit that the US made a concession to NK?

The snow glows white on the mountain tonight
Not a footprint to be seen
A kingdom of isolation
And it looks like I'm the queen
The wind is howling like this swirling storm inside
Couldn't keep it in, heaven knows I've tried
Don't let them in, don't let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know
Well, now they know
Let it go, let it go
Can't hold it back anymore
Let it go, let it go
Turn away and slam the door
I don't care what they're going to say
Let the storm rage on
The cold never bothered me anyway
Let it go, let it go
Let it go, let it go
Let it go (go, go, go go, go go, go go, go, go, go go)
Let it go
Let it go
Let it go
It's funny how some distance makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
Let it go, let it go
I am one with the wind and sky
Let it go, let it go
You'll never see me cry
Here I stand and here I stay
Let the storm rage on
My power flurries through the air into the ground
My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast
I'm never going back, the past is in the past
Let it go
Let it go, let it go
And I'll rise like the break of dawn
Let it go, let it go
That perfect girl is gone
Here I stand in the light of day
Let the storm rage on

The snow glows white on the mountain tonight
Not a footprint to be seen
A kingdom of isolation
And it looks like I'm the queen
The wind is howling like this swirling storm inside
Couldn't keep it in, heaven knows I've tried
Don't let them in, don't let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know
Well, now they know
Let it go, let it go
Let it go, let it go
I don't care what they're going to say
Let the storm rage on
Let it go, let it go
Let it go, let it go
Let it go (go, go, go go, go go, go go, go, go, go go)
Let it go
Let it go
Let it go
It's funny how some distance makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
Let it go, let it go
I am one with the wind and sky
Let it go, let it go
You'll never see me cry
Here I stand and here I stay
Let the storm rage on
My power flurries through the air into the ground
My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast
I'm never going back, the past is in the past
Let it go
Let it go, let it go
And I'll rise like the break of dawn
Let it go, let it go
That perfect girl is gone
Here I stand in the light of day
Let the storm rage on

Mark Knoller @markknoller
36s
"We have made zero concessions to Kim Jong-un to date, and have no intentions of doing so," said @SecPompeo” in testimony to House Foreign Affairs Committee. But asked about cancellation of B-52 exercise with South Korea, he referred Committee to ask the Pentagon.

I see what's happening here
You're face-to-face with greatness and it's strange
You don't even know how you feel.
It's adorable!
Well, it's nice to see that humans never change

Open your eyes, let's begin
Yes, it's really me,
It's Maui! Breathe it in
I know it's a lot:
The hair, the bod!
When you're staring at a demigod

What can I say except "You're welcome"
For the tides, the sun, the sky?
Hey, it's OK, it's OK. You're welcome
I'm just an ordinary demi-guy!

Hey, what has two thumbs and pulled up the sky
When you were waddling yay high?
This guy!
When the nights got cold, who stole you fire from down below?
You're looking at him, yo!

Oh, also I lassoed the sun
—you're welcome—
To stretch your days and bring you fun
Also, I harnessed the breeze
—You're welcome—
To fill your sails and shake your trees

So what can I say except "You're welcome"
For the islands I pulled from the sea?
There's no need to pray, it's OK,
You're welcome
I guess it's just my way of being me

You're welcome, you're welcome
Well, come to think of it

Kid, honestly I can go on and on
I can explain every natural phenomenon
The tide, the grass, the ground
Oh, that was Maui just messing around
I killed an eel, I buried its guts
Sprouted a tree, now you've got coconuts
What's the lesson? What is the take-away?
Don't mess with Maui when he's on the break-away
And the tapestry here in my skin
Is a map of the victories I win
Look where I've been. I make everything happen
Look at that mean mini Maui just tippity tappin'
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, hey!

Well, anyway, let me say you're welcome!
For the wonderful world you know
Hey, it's OK, it's OK. You're welcome!
Well, come to think of it, I gotta go

Hey, it's your day to say you're welcome!
'Cause I'm gonna need that boat
I'm sailing away, away. You're welcome!
'Cause Maui can do anything but float
You're welcome, you're welcome

And thank you!

NK requested they not hold the joint military exercise in light of peace talks and the US/SK agreed not to. I'm not sure what the big deal is. Who cares if it is political, or tactical, or the intricacies of holding joint military exercises.

They agreed to give up something for the continued peace talks. Thats a concession.

Now pretending like you refuse to make any concessions when you already did is purely political.

Yep. Giving a concession because someone else requested you to (SK) is still giving a concession.

I'm sure you do

c92bd0c0f101019fdb85bd607ad2354e.gif

An excellent analysis of 1 year of Hannity's show

https://www.mediamatters.org/blog/2...rk-authoritarian-response-russia-probe/220281

How Hannity actively discredits the Mueller probe

Our study, building on our earlier reviews of the program’s coverage of the Trump-Russia saga, found that of the 487 Hannity segments about the Mueller probe:

256 segments -- a whopping 53 percent -- included criticism of the media’s coverage of the Mueller investigation, which Hannity and his guests consider excessively anti-Trump.

191 segments included commentators suggesting that there had been no collusion between Trump or his associates and Russia.

82 segments feature attempts to construct a counternarrative by claiming that the real collusion had been between Russia and Democrats. This is often a reference to the Uranium One pseudoscandal, which was referenced in 38 percent of all segments about the Mueller investigation.

25 segments involved commentators downplaying reporting about Trump and his associates by saying that collusion is not a crime.

81 segments described Mueller’s probe as a “witch hunt,” while 140 included criticism of purported “conflicts of interest” involving members of his team.

67 segments included suggestions that Mueller should resign, recuse himself, be fired, or otherwise end the investigation. 41 suggested that Rod Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general overseeing the probe, should do so.

186 segments -- nearly 38 percent of the total -- claimed top federal law enforcement officials involved in the creation of the probe had broken the law.

218 segments -- 45 percent of the total -- featured Hannity or his guests saying Hillary Clinton had committed crimes.

77 segments included a call for the appointment of a second special counsel to investigate Trump’s political enemies.

To watch Hannity’s broadcast over the last year is to plunge into a strikingly paranoid vision of America today.

“A soft coup is underway right here in the United States of America,” Hannity said last June, “in an attempt to overturn November's election results and forcibly remove a duly elected president from office, sinister forces quickly aligning in what is becoming now, in my mind, a clear and present danger.”

Specifically, Hannity claims that the leadership of the FBI, aided by Democrats and the media, conspired during the 2016 election to exonerate Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton of the crimes they knew she had committed. At the same time, Hannity alleges that this cabal fabricated the narrative that Trump had colluded with Russia in order to prevent him from becoming president -- and that once Trump won the election despite these efforts to manipulate voters, his enemies continued to try to drive him from office. This narrative bears little relationship to reality: In the months leading up to the election, the FBI kept its investigation into whether the Trump campaign collaborated with the Kremlin’s effort to support his candidacy a secret while repeatedly calling attention to the Clinton probe, likely costing the Democrat the presidency.

Nonetheless, the sinister cabal of Democrats, journalists, and the “deep state” are the villains of this story. And in Hannity’s telling, the host and his rotating cast of guests are the only thing standing between Trump and his annihilation.

Hannity presents his show as the only venue willing to tell the truth about the story, casting reporting about Trump, Russia, and the 2016 election not as the result of serious journalism, but as part of a plot against the president.

The Fox host is adamant that any suggestion of collusion between Trump associates and Russian officials is the stuff of “black-helicopter, tinfoil-hat conspiracy.” Instead, Hannity claims that the “real collusion” happened between Russia and the Democrats, in the form of various broadly discredited pseudoscandals.

New Yorker had a long piece recently on Trump's war vs civil servants (collectively called the Deep State if you're a Fox diehard)

Some really scary shit. Most government workers keep their affiliations at home; they just want to do their job as well as they can. ie. They helped Obama even though they originally served under Bush.

But Trump and his staff demand high school level loyalty over the facts. The US will be stuck with the repercussions for quite a while. It's infected pretty much every dept (economics, education, law, environment, industry, etc)

This one section made me laugh.

Peter Navarro, the head of the White House National Trade Council, told an interviewer, “My function, really, as an economist is to try to provide the underlying analytics that confirm his (Trump) intuition. And his intuition is always right in these matters.”

It's like a hockey GM wanting to trade Auston Matthews for Shea Weber and the analytics guy thinking his job is to provide a few stats to seal the deal.

full piece here
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/05/21/trump-vs-the-deep-state

Last edited:
Back