• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

I've probably done stuff that I shouldn't have, tbh. Nothing crazy, and nothing abusing a power position, but still, probably offsides.

Yeah, I think we all probably have. Like you, nothing that would have landed me in jail... but definitely some inappropriate jokes while drinking that the girl laughed off. In hindsight, they might have creeped out or even scared.

I worked for a finance company out of high school (mid 90's). The boss was a older dude, married. Real creepster. The office was in Cambridge on hespeler road, and he would spend all of his free time (and office time) at the strip club there down the street. He was dating (paying) strippers and getting up to all kinds of nasty business. He would always be sharing his stories of conquest with everyone in the office. I remember for sales incentives, he would give everyone a checkmark for a sale (that directly benefited his pocket) and at the end of the week, or whenever he felt like it, he would translate the checks into drinks at the strip club. So he would take us staff out to a strip club in the afternoon to sit and drink and chat with these dancers.

It was just so normalized.

But after a year or so of this, it started to get creepier and creepier. Then he hired a young woman that was kind of a friend of the office. Well, eventually he grabbed her one night out in the parking lot and kissed her/groped her. When I found out the next day, I dropped a dime to HR and they were down there so quick interviewing EVERYONE. He was sent home that day during the investigation. He was gone by the end of the day. I still remember the HR lady asking me for direct examples and I repeated one of this clowns famous stories that would make a sailor blush.

When I think back on it, I still can't believe it was real. It was so outlandish. If I had of been a few years older, that guy would have been gone on day one. But 21 years old, no idea of a working life...you just roll with it.

I can pretty much guarantee that everyone on here has either;

1) Seen a woman unwantingly get her ass slapped.
2) Seen a woman unwantingly get cat called.
3) Seen a woman getting verbally abused for shutting down a man's advances.

I can pretty much guarantee that everyone on here has either;

1) Seen a woman unwantingly get her ass slapped.
2) Seen a woman unwantingly get cat called.
3) Seen a woman getting verbally abused for shutting down a man's advances.

Yes, sure.

But this level of Rape, sexual assault, being forced upon?

I don't really see any reason to believe that the US Congress has been home to any lesser amount of sexual abuse, harassment & assault, and abuse of power than Hollywood and showbiz in general.

This Franken stuff is likely just the tip of the iceberg, and there's probably a hell of a reckoning coming for both sides of the aisle.

The problem is that the times you see it in public, the girl usually tries to laugh it off so we probably don't even register that it just happened.

I don't really see any reason to believe that the US Congress has been home to any lesser amount of sexual abuse, harassment & assault, and abuse of power than Hollywood and showbiz in general.

This Franken stuff is likely just the tip of the iceberg, and there's probably a hell of a reckoning coming for both sides of the aisle.

Just read something on the fact that Congress a) has no HR department, b) requires anyone accusing any congressperson of sexual assault to go through over a month of counselling before the matter can actually go forward.

creepy stuff.

DOxCMD-XkAAULjm.jpg:large

actually a good answer here:

Dave Weigel @daveweigel
Tim Kaine on if Franken has done enough to apologize: "That's a hard question. The sufficiency of an apology is measured by what the person thinks of it. I'm not going to judge the sufficiency of the apology, but the behavior is unacceptable."

Poor holmes, lurking, and he can't get on here to defend men.

People with power abuse it. Plain and simple. Sex is just one of the many "advantages," some powerful people think they can take.

...but forget powerful people...anybody here worked construction? I can remember being embarrassed to be a man, working with some of these guys who think it's okay to intimidate a woman as she walks by.

Rosalind Helderman @PostRoz
Senate judiciary panel: Kushner had contacts about WikiLeaks, Russian overtures he did not disclose, via @karoun wapo.st/2zLjqlC?tid=ss…

From the front page of the National Post today: Conrad Black going full retard.

gss4Vs2.png

Pretty funny how much of a sycophant Black is for Trump. And it's so transparently obvious that it all comes down to Trump being his buddy, and a fellow member of the sleazy, corrupt, fake billionaires club.

I suppose an additional motivation could be that this is Black grovelling at Trump's feet for a pardon of the felony conviction that currently keeps him out of the United States.

Last edited:
Back