• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

11u02av64th01.jpg

I saw an extended interview with the kid. They only wanted questions that fit their narrative. Another father was actually asked if he knew any parents that would ask questions that fell in line with CNNs version of gun control. Simply pointing out cnn isn't honest reporting. Especially their town halls.

Funny. People are starting to talk about hiring veterans to provide security.

How much of a step is it from hiring vets to using the national guard?

Re: OT: Canadian Politics

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/don...n-the-world-stage-we-should-get-off-1.3815230

Don Martin: If this is Trudeau putting Canada 'back' on the world stage, we should get off - 22 Feb 18

First, that testy unproductive China visit last fall. Then there was the angry group of Pacific Rim partners left stewing as Canada waffled back from a free trade agreement. And let's not get started on how repeated soothing Justin Trudeau visits have only ramped up President Donald Trump’s trash-talking of Canada for re-negotiating NAFTA in bad faith. Now add India to the list of countries which have lowered their opinion of Canada as a result of prime ministerial visits.

If this is Trudeau putting Canada back on the world stage, we should get off.

This week’s far-too-long tour of India by a prime minister looking for campaign-friendly photo-ops has become a cross between the Keystone Cops and Mr. Dressup. Poor advance team scouting, lousy political intelligence-gathering, awkward fashion advice and a major security breach have turned a minor snub at the arrival gate into a sustained epic failure. For six days Trudeau has wandered the country with a collection of mediocre cabinet ministers in tow who have little reason to be there beyond being Sikh.

Meanwhile his foreign affairs and international trade ministers stayed home.

This is not to begrudge the effort. India is an overlooked economic giant with unlimited potential for Canadian interests. It's in the mission delivery where things have fallen apart. In the quest for perfect optics, they missed the big picture problem of an India whose leaders believe, rightly or wrongly, that Canada is too cozy with Khalistani extremists.

And you knew this was truly a voyage of the damned when, just as Punjab was pacified, it fell apart all over again. A Canadian Sikh extremist, convicted in the attempted murder of an India cabinet minister, was discovered as an honored reception guest.

By the time CTV News discovered the nonsensical inclusion of a celebrity Indian cuisine chef from Canada, flown at taxpayers’ expense to whip up a dinner in India, well, it was almost comic relief.

Given his now-proven tendency to bring tension to otherwise calm international relationships, Justin Trudeau should just stay home. For the next while, for the preservation of our good name, the world doesn’t need more Canada.

The press is starting to turn on Trudeau. Not good.

But seriously, they have good reason at this point. Trudeau has gone to the two Asian superpowers and more or less gone out of his way to offend them. One simply shouldn't offend the leaders of 2.7 billion people.

ABC News @ABC
BREAKING: Florida Gov. Rick Scott says the state "will require all individuals purchasing firearms to be 21 or older." abcnews.com/politics

complete ban on bump stocks, too.

The more I think about this, the more disappointed I get.

Canada has, since 1948, had something of a special relationship with India ... St Laurent and Pearson and Nehru and Krishna Menon were famous for their cooperation and close consultation in trying to defuze the cold war. St Laurent and Pearson persuaded Truman and Atcheson and Eisenhower and Dulles to accept Menon's "non-aligned" movement and to be extra patient while India developed, slowly one must admit, into the world's greatest democracy. Given what I saw of Prime Minister Modi's remarks at his joint press conference with Prime Minister Trudeau, it appears that Canada was sent home with an ever so polite warning to stop associating with Sikh separatists ... I didn't detect a shred of goodwill in Modi's welcoming tweet (sent five days after Trudeau arrived) or in his remarks to Trudeau. Canada is just a small country that came to look for access to India's huge and growing market and was sent away, empty handed.

The prime minister emerged as a bit of a global laughing stock for his "Mr Dressup" routine, but the Atwat affair raised serious questions about the honesty of his pledge to Punjab leader Amarinder Singh that Canada supported Indian national unity. Trudeau's attendance at a Khalsa Day parade in Toronto in April 2017 is what lies behind his strained relations with India. While people like Jason Kenney took pains to distance Canada from Sikh extremists, Trudeau blundered into their trap and India, at the highest levels, was shocked and offended.

The Trudeau plan, to use this trip as a source of photos for the 2019 campaign also backfired ... those pictures will get used, I think, but mostly in Conservative campaign adds mocking the PM for insulting India and being ridiculed by the world.

The Indians are also worried about Trudeau's seemingly single minded quest for a free trade deal with China. Now, let me be clear, I favour a free(er) trade deal with China ... I favour free(er) trade with everyone. But China is not the only market that matters and, anyway, Xi Jinping sent Trudeau packing without a hoped for deal because he (Trudeau) was a bit too "uppity." And that came after Trudeau managed to offend Australia, Japan and the Philippines on one short trip.

India is emerging as a major global power ... in 25 years it may rival China. Canada needs good relations with India. Trudeau has failed, miserably, at achieving an important, strategic goal. It will take years to set things right

The more I think about this, the more disappointed I get.

Canada has, since 1948, had something of a special relationship with India ... St Laurent and Pearson and Nehru and Krishna Menon were famous for their cooperation and close consultation in trying to defuze the cold war. St Laurent and Pearson persuaded Truman and Atcheson and Eisenhower and Dulles to accept Menon's "non-aligned" movement and to be extra patient while India developed, slowly one must admit, into the world's greatest democracy. Given what I saw of Prime Minister Modi's remarks at his joint press conference with Prime Minister Trudeau, it appears that Canada was sent home with an ever so polite warning to stop associating with Sikh separatists ... I didn't detect a shred of goodwill in Modi's welcoming tweet (sent five days after Trudeau arrived) or in his remarks to Trudeau. Canada is just a small country that came to look for access to India's huge and growing market and was sent away, empty handed.

The prime minister emerged as a bit of a global laughing stock for his "Mr Dressup" routine, but the Atwat affair raised serious questions about the honesty of his pledge to Punjab leader Amarinder Singh that Canada supported Indian national unity. Trudeau's attendance at a Khalsa Day parade in Toronto in April 2017 is what lies behind his strained relations with India. While people like Jason Kenney took pains to distance Canada from Sikh extremists, Trudeau blundered into their trap and India, at the highest levels, was shocked and offended.

The Trudeau plan, to use this trip as a source of photos for the 2019 campaign also backfired ... those pictures will get used, I think, but mostly in Conservative campaign adds mocking the PM for insulting India and being ridiculed by the world.

The Indians are also worried about Trudeau's seemingly single minded quest for a free trade deal with China. Now, let me be clear, I favour a free(er) trade deal with China ... I favour free(er) trade with everyone. But China is not the only market that matters and, anyway, Xi Jinping sent Trudeau packing without a hoped for deal because he (Trudeau) was a bit too "uppity." And that came after Trudeau managed to offend Australia, Japan and the Philippines on one short trip.

India is emerging as a major global power ... in 25 years it may rival China. Canada needs good relations with India. Trudeau has failed, miserably, at achieving an important, strategic goal. It will take years to set things right

Yeah, it's one thing to court the Sikh vote at home. If Trudeau wants to show up to the Khalsa Day parade and stuff, that's fine. But definitely the entire mis-step with the convicted attempted murderer guy on this trip is a massive blunder, that I can't imagine any reason why they would have invited him along on the trip.

Going overboard with the dressup routine is fine if the rest of the trip is going well, but given the problems they were having, it definitely seemed to go a little overboard. Combined with the "light" schedule of events and the whole family in tow, it doesn't help the impression that he was just taking a family trip on the public dime.

I don't know what lasting impact it will have. Probably not much on its own, but he definitely needs to get a good trip somewhere under his belt soon to restore some global cred.

MetLife @MetLife
We value all our customers but have decided to end our discount program with the NRA.

insurance company would care more about potential young clients than the old ones, of coruse.

Yeah, it's one thing to court the Sikh vote at home. If Trudeau wants to show up to the Khalsa Day parade and stuff, that's fine. But definitely the entire mis-step with the convicted attempted murderer guy on this trip is a massive blunder, that I can't imagine any reason why they would have invited him along on the trip.

Going overboard with the dressup routine is fine if the rest of the trip is going well, but given the problems they were having, it definitely seemed to go a little overboard. Combined with the "light" schedule of events and the whole family in tow, it doesn't help the impression that he was just taking a family trip on the public dime.

I don't know what lasting impact it will have. Probably not much on its own, but he definitely needs to get a good trip somewhere under his belt soon to restore some global cred.
In terms of lasting impact, locally, not so much. Wont look good on Trudeau, but he will probably survive.

In terms of India Canadian relations, this will be the image they have of Canada for a while. If India does become a superpower, that's where our relations are going to be starting from. This is akin to the Charles de Gaulle "Vive la Quebec libre", where in france, it didn't effect de Gaulle too much but the Canadian public and political class was rather chilly towards the french.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ott...lost-the-foreign-press-and-not-just-fox-news/

The foreign press does not love Justin Trudeau, not any more.

Outside our sea to sea to sea boundaries, Trudeau has received substantially positive coverage, particularly in the immediate aftermath of the U.S. presidential election, when he provided an effective visual and political counterpoint to Donald Trump. Rolling Stone wondered why he couldn’t just be in charge south of the border instead, Vogue published some glamour shots of the prime minister and his wife, and his sock game was analyzed by Vanity Fair, GQ and InStyle. The Economist, fans of all things small-l liberal, proved a fan of this big-L one, putting Canada on its cover.

All this glowing prose had some in Canadian media (*coughs*) pleading with their international counterpart to desist from the fawning and examine Trudeau in his proper, domestic, context. The message seems to have taken—and how.

The prime minister’s ongoing visit to India has been met with a notably downbeat and at times snarky reception from the foreign press.

The first wave of stories focused on the Trudeau family traipsing across the country largely unencumbered by the presence of high-level Indian officials. CNN reported that the prime minister was being “snubbed,” and the Washington Post sought to explain why India was being “really rude.” Al-Jazeera also deployed the dreaded “s” word.

It’s worth noting, as financial journalist Kevin Carmichael (always well informed on Canada and India) did, that many of those headlines had the feel of “follow-the-leader reporting,” with one outlet after another calling the same two commentators to pick over the same morsel of news. In this case, the proximate cause of the coverage was Indian prime minister Narendra Modi’s no-show at the Trudeaus’ airport arrival, something that’s actually in line with protocol. (But Modi came out for Barack Obama and Israel’s Benjamin Netanyahu, you and Candice Malcolm say! Yes, well, those countries actually matter to India’s strategic interests.)

But the pile-on is notable in and of itself. And in a funhouse mirror of the lavish analysis of his sock diplomacy, the Prime Minister’s sartorial stylings on this trip have been panned by the press and in numerous Indian expats’ family WhatsApp groups. The Trudeaus have been appearing at events decked out in salwar-kameez and kurta-pyjama combos that are straight out of a particularly saturated Indian wedding. (Let’s stop calling it “traditional Indian dress” though—there are more ways to tie a sari than a tie, and the Trudeaus’ itinerary and outfits are north and west India-only affairs).

The Irish Independent handily compiled some style tip tweets, while the BBC called his wardrobe “Bollywood.” Again, Carmichael is a worthy counterpoint, noting that the shots of the Trudeaus at various Indian landmarks would probably stick in the memory of the local public longer than any actual news coming out of the trip.

The inviting of a man convicted of attempting to assassinate an Indian state cabinet minister to two events on Trudeau’s Indian itinerary, incontestably a debacle, also did not escape attention. Broken by the CBC and the Toronto Sun. The Guardian said the episode had “overshadowed” the trip.

International outlets, to be fair, are drawing inspiration from the notably unimpressed stance being struck by the Indian press. The Hindustan Times newspaper talked to some Canadian critics of the prime minister, while Outlook magazine asked if his outfits are “too flashy even for an India.”

Yeah, he's lost the press.

Gabby Morrongiello @gabriellahope_
Asked about newest sanctions against NoKo, @POTUS says: “If the sanctions don’t work we’ll have to go to Phase 2. Phase 2 maybe a very rough thing. May be very, very unfortunate for the world."

he's such a fag.

Gabby Morrongiello @gabriellahope_
Asked about newest sanctions against NoKo, @POTUS says: “If the sanctions don’t work we’ll have to go to Phase 2. Phase 2 maybe a very rough thing. May be very, very unfortunate for the world."

he's such a fag.
True, but he's not wrong.

Back