• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

In a quick summary, his schtick for at least the last couple of years has been:

• Every Muslim on the planet is at war with "Western civilization" (read: White people of Judeo-Christian backgrounds)

• Muslims are trying to, and are on the verge of conquering Western civilization, and thus they should all be rounded up into camps and deported.

• Donald Trump is the bestest ever

• Breitbart & InfoWars are the gospel truth, everything else is "Fake news"

• Any movement challenging the absolute, unchallenged supremacy of white males in society = bad

• Any woman who claims she's been sexually assaulted is a liar

...anyway, that's the broad strokes. He either believes all or most of it, or he's just really committed to playing at believing in it for the purpose of trolling.
And I thought Koreaboy was the one to worry about

Doesn't really matter whether or not Trump is actually a whit supremacists in private. He has empowered them publicly. Outword actions actually impact the world and are all we can judge him on. What he "really feels" is irrelevant at this point.

+1

ya, you did.

"confederate statues are ok because romans had slaves too".
If you are going to quote don't paraphrase.

You refused to admit slavery is slavery, whether based on race, social status or whatever.

You were also clearly wrong when you stated Lincoln started the war to end slavery.

You want the statues down because they were slaveholders, fine but then you cannot justify other slave owners having monuments. You did.

you're still trying, eh?

you tried to whitewash the racism out of american slavery. I showed you why that was wrong.

you tried to argue the civil war wasn't about slavery. I showed you why that was wrong.

and the best part is you thought you were being clever and original.

I don't people interact politically in real life at all.

Hear me out.

How many of your friends are Republican supporters?

I ask because it's pretty much a given that people don't talk politics at work, along with religion, people are far more reserved around family, and in school there are groups that cater to your political beliefs and one rarely interacts with the other groups in a positive manner.

I say this because I have 3 friends, college age republicans(met playing EASHL, I'm their goalie.)

We are all comfortable enough to talk about our political leanings, me a Canadian liberal, them American republicans.

These aren't hillbilly rednecks in some backwater town, these are more the CEO types you see, big money Republican types(although poor as **** now they are in school to become doctors and surgeons).

In the backs and forth, civil discussions I've had with them, I've learned more about American republicans and them liberals than before.

Why? Because we are able to have calm, rational discussions, we respect each other's opinion, I'm not looking to change then for the Republican leanings, they aren't trying to change me from my liberal ones. We are simply trying to understand where I'm coming from, my worldview, how I see things and vice versa.

But how does one replicate that on a large scale?

Now whenever someone meets someone of a different political leaning, usually online, it's not about consensus building, learning about the other side, it's about reinforcing your own beliefs or beating down other ones.

And in polite society in person it's looked down upon to discuss politics.

Most of my friends are to the left of me. In many cases, far to the left. I have a really good friend who is a Canadian conservative, a few other centrists/lean conservative, and my father, who is also very conservative. My partner is much more left-wing than I am.

I talk politics very frequently with my friends, and particularly my father. We often disagree. I learn a lot from our disagreements. My stance or opinion often changes on the basis of those discussions. They are incredibly valuable. Sometimes their stances change (I got my dad to vote Trudeau, but he is most unhappy about it)

I am not sure how you can create that kind of debate and exchange of ideas in a civil manner with the internet as your medium. But we really need to find a way, now more than ever.

Do you watch the show?

Because I've thinking lately about how the Gods in that show are a good comparison for Trump, in that the "Gods" need as many people as possible giving them adulation and attention in order for them to live and gain power, and that without attention and adulation, they wither away and eventually die.

Yeah I watch it and yes, that thought crossed my mind before as well.

If you are going to quote don't paraphrase.

You refused to admit slavery is slavery, whether based on race, social status or whatever.

You were also clearly wrong when you stated Lincoln started the war to end slavery.

You want the statues down because they were slaveholders, fine but then you cannot justify other slave owners having monuments. You did.

pretty sure zeke has been clear on this point.

and you are being deliberately obtuse here.

some people have statues because they fought to defend slavery etc

others have statues because they were founding fathers, etc, who just so happen to have also been slave owners at the time.

kind of different. but you know that.

Zeke's superpower is extreme arrogance. He cuts through swaths of mere mortals as Arrogant Man. He's still searching for his long lost sidekick, Righteous Boy.

I think the reason zeke drives people up the wall so much is that he never gives an inch. Most people you can debate and discuss and each will be willing to cede at least some points. but with zeke, you will only become increasingly aggravated, without ever any satisfaction that maybe you are getting through to him.

ok that is ridiculous

If you argued it was some of the virgins in the crowd yelling down with jews, fine, but Duke has always espoused these views

Well that's what makes him a prime candidate now, isn't it?

He's been a known white supremacist for decades, yet just never seems to go away. And now here he is pouring gasoline on the Trump fire. It's more than a little suspicious.

Man, when did Johnny become a Nazi sympathizer

I'm not. It's a 1st amendment issue. Period.

In a quick summary, his schtick for at least the last couple of years has been:

• Every Muslim on the planet is at war with "Western civilization" (read: White people of Judeo-Christian backgrounds)

• Muslims are trying to, and are on the verge of conquering Western civilization, and thus they should all be rounded up into camps and deported.

• Donald Trump is the bestest ever

• Breitbart & InfoWars are the gospel truth, everything else is "Fake news"

• Any movement challenging the absolute, unchallenged supremacy of white males in society = bad

• Any woman who claims she's been sexually assaulted is a liar

...anyway, that's the broad strokes. He either believes all or most of it, or he's just really committed to playing at believing in it for the purpose of trolling.

Hi Fanclub!

That he actually thinks they're in the right? His point has been that there are some on the right that have the right to peacefully articulate their views, even if the left disagrees. These are the normal, regular conservatives in his mind. He's specifically said the nazis and supremacists aren't among that group and has said that obviously they're not legitimate or defensible.

Do you really think a big shot NYC real estate tycoon hates Jews? Do you know of any nazi sympathizer who would let his daughter marry a religious Jew, support her conversion, have grandkids be born and raised Jewish, and give their Jewish father a senior position in the White House? I mean, come on.

Whoa...someone makes sense? Careful...that's dangerous behavior.

Vigilantes are the road to chaos.

This is the main point.

When it becomes ok, or encouraged to eliminate the rights of one segment of the population, it becomes easier to take away YOUR rights.

I'm sure nobody would cry louder than Zeke if he were one day marginalized, yet here he is advocating for violence against a political minority.

Sad.

Back