• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Guys just remember... people need their guns to defend themselves against the government... incase the government goes crazy and starts executing US Citizens.

You know, that same government that has tanks and fighter planes, and drones with missles. We need guns to stop them, cause that's realistic.

So where is the outrage for the real issue here? That being the mentally ill. Ignoring the underlying problem of mental health has been the long standard in society. A guy plows people down with a truck, someone shoots a mass of people, domestic abuse, drug abuse, pedophilia. When is the real issue going to be addressed. The issue isn't guns people, millions of people own them responsibly. The issue is keeping them out of the hands of the mentally ill.

Mental illness is an extremely complex problem that absolutely needs a higher level of societal awareness and much more support and funding from multiple levels of government to diagnose and treat the conditions that lead to these tragedies....but guns are a force multiplier in the hands of those people that is, judging by the results in every other western nation, quite easy to keep out of the hands of those people with a bit of regulation.

You might want to get at the low hanging fruit first in turning your tragedies into smaller ones before we go tackling problems that are actually hard to solve man. Baby steps.

Sure, makes sense. Now incorporate the fact that these guns have been around since the inception of the country and tell me what you think would be the right, in that I mean realistic, tact to take?

Realistic in what sense? Realistic in that it wouldn't trigger the NRA's hissy fit reflex? Or realistic in that the majority of Americans would actually support it?

Because if it's the latter, you could have legit gun control laws with limited capacity mags, good background checks and vetting for mental health and domestic violence issues done in like a week. If it's the former, well you'll get their suppressors from their cold dead hands and you'll never have peace until there's a heavily armed citizen on every corner.

The tail is wagging the dog and you people (Americans) can't even ****ing talk about it with reducing the conversation to the 7th level of absurdity (which is of course by design of the tails PR machine).

Nice spin but Americans have a different sort of arrogance. Canadians have long believed themselves smarter and morally superior to their cousins to the South. You forget, I've lived in both countries for extended periods.

Have a good night. I'm out too.

I’ve found this to be the case too.

Canadians can be damn irritating abroad.

Habsy, when you petitioned the NRA for stronger regulation as it relates to mental illness, how did they responsed ?

As you like to point out we're foreigners, so you're the only one who can do anything.

So where is the outrage for the real issue here? That being the mentally ill. Ignoring the underlying problem of mental health has been the long standard in society. A guy plows people down with a truck, someone shoots a mass of people, domestic abuse, drug abuse, pedophilia. When is the real issue going to be addressed. The issue isn't guns people, millions of people own them responsibly. The issue is keeping them out of the hands of the mentally ill.

I find it hard to believe that the US has that much higher percentage of mentally ill people. But if they do... we really need to find a way to keep weapons that do this kind of damage away from those people.

Yeah the issue isn't guns themselves it's how easily people who shouldn't have them can get them and the armory that is available to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It amazes me that there are still people who believe:

A) everyone should have access to guns.
B) an AR-15 is something the general population needs.

Nobody is trying to take away your silly guns. There just needs to be certain restrictions on who can buy them and what type of weapons can be purchased.

The fact that supposed "moderates" like habsy cant see this convinces me nothing will change.

And blaming the mentally ill is just sick. I'm guessing every family knows someone who has or is dealing with mental health issues and they don't shoot up churches.

This is an American problem created by Americans who value guns over lives.

You can't just go by the people who met you.

tenor.gif

I think the fact that this dude proudly posted a pic of his new gun on facebook saying "She's a bad bitch" and everyone was fine with it kind of says everything about what the real problem is.

Now what did Rand Paul do to warrant such an attack?

A more salacious news outlet might investigate more “familiar” causes, instead of high-talkin’ political stuff.

apparently they've had a neighboulghy squabble for a while now. I'm sure Rand got his licks in.

Yeah the issue isn't guns themselves it's how easily people who shouldn't have them can get them and the armory that is available to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wholeheartedly agree. I'd take it one step further, you shouldn't be able to buy one without a license that requires a 4 hour course. Conceal/Carry license holders have to do that, get fingerprinted and be run through a background check with the FBI in Florida. I don't see why that can't be extended to all gun purchases. My thinking is that if you truly are an enthusiast, you won't mind getting licensed.

It amazes me that there are still people who believe:

A) everyone should have access to guns.

There will always be people that believe that. I am not one of them. There are plenty of people that shouldn't. The issue is the second amendment.

B) an AR-15 is something the general population needs.

Needs? Probably not. But again, have you ever fired an AR-15? They're not as devastating as everyone purports. In fact, there are far worse guns out there, available, that are never mentioned. Extended clips? Yeah I can see the argument but they are available for almost every rifle and most handguns. You're probably one of those people that thinks the AR in AR-15 means assault rifle. It doesn't. Plus there is a difference between the .222 and the .223 high velocity versions of the rifle.
Nobody is trying to take away your silly guns.

This is BS. There are plenty of people trying to take guns away. You may not be one of them but there are plenty.

There just needs to be certain restrictions on who can buy them and what type of weapons can be purchased.

Slippery slope. Your definition of who can by them and someone else's can vary greatly. Requiring licensing and background checks isn't asking too much though.

The fact that supposed "moderates" like habsy cant see this convinces me nothing will change.

Can't see what? I consistently mark of licensing and background checks should be required when polled. Go to any range, they have cards you can fill out that the NRA uses for polling.

And blaming the mentally ill is just sick. I'm guessing every family knows someone who has or is dealing with mental health issues and they don't shoot up churches.

How so? It's basic logic. You live in Toronto therefore you live in Canada. If you live in Canada do you necessarily live in Toronto? Someone that shoots anyone not out of self-defense, let alone mass casualties, is mentally ill. Someone that is mentally ill isn't automatically a murdering *******. Spare me the indignation.

This is an American problem created by Americans who value guns over lives.

This is an American problem created by the American gun industry that has bought off the politicians. Pandora's box is wide open. I don't see it getting shut. Not in my lifetime anyway. Probably not in my kid's either.

being a gun enthusiast is kind of ****ed up in itself, tbh.

There are many that agree with you. I really don't know any gun enthusiast that thinks someone else is weird if they aren't one. It's just what you enjoy. Target practice and hunting is enjoyable.

Back