Page 3820 of 3827 FirstFirst ... 2820332037203770381038183819382038213822 ... LastLast
Results 76,381 to 76,400 of 76526

Thread: OT: American Politics

  1. #76381
    Legend lecoqsportif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    43,497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    WTF are you talking about? The PC would have been presented to the judge that signed the warrant and they have to have a taint team in place since Cohen is a technically a lawyer.

    Are you suggesting a judge signed off on a raid without cause?
    Last edited by lecoqsportif; 04-16-2018 at 12:58 AM.

  2. #76382
    Legend lecoqsportif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    43,497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    As someone that likely uses attorneys far more than most, this is a big ****ing deal to me and I am watching most intently to see how this shakes out. This is unprecedented.
    Cohen was a business colleague who happened to be a lawyer, but he did not provide legal opinion/advice that would constitute privilege. He spent most of his time with Dotard Jr and Ivanka in the former Soviet Union.

  3. #76383
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    145,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    Nope, Iím suggesting information outside that PC will eventually be leaked. Circular subterfuge. Mueller refers to NY. NY reads everything and anything. Any potential issue outside the nature of the warrant will still be read then referred back to mueller if pertinent to Muellerís investigation. For all intents and purposes Mueller will now have access to information that was beyond his initial purview. Itís a smart move but underhanded
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  4. #76384
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    145,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by lecoqsportif View Post
    Cohen was a business colleague who happened to be a lawyer, but he did not provide legal opinion/advice that would constitute privilege. He spent most of his time with Dotard Jr and Ivanka in the former Soviet Union.
    The higher courts may not agree. Iím thinking they wonít. The damage will have been done though.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  5. #76385
    Legend lecoqsportif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    43,497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    If it’s pertinent (i.e. criminal) to Mueller’s investigation, isn’t SDNY obliged to refer back? That’s the law.

  6. #76386
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    145,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default OT: American Politics

    It is apparent to me though that many people are willing to just give up freedoms and privacy because itís not them being targeted and if itís someone they hate then they give it up even more freely. People donít realize that once the precedence has been set then theyíre ****ed... eventually. Donít tread on me.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  7. #76387
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    145,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by lecoqsportif View Post
    If itís pertinent (i.e. criminal) to Muellerís investigation, isnít SDNY obliged to refer back? Thatís the law.
    Fruit of the poisonous tree.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  8. #76388
    Legend lecoqsportif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    43,497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    The higher courts may not agree. I’m thinking they won’t. The damage will have been done though.
    There are very specific rules as to what constitutes “privilege”, and apparently what Cohen did for the Trump Syndicate does not fall within those guidelines.

  9. #76389
    Legend lecoqsportif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    43,497
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    Fruit of the poisonous tree.
    Is it?

  10. #76390
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    145,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    You simply canít refer something, seize everything, find something outside the initial warrant then claim its kosher. Doesnít work that way. Now I donít know what precisely the referral was for but if they use it as a back door to information outside the warrant? Fruit of the poisonous tree. Theyíll taint a lot of evidence. They know this too. That is why I believe this is about info for impeachment, not criminally (where Trump is concerned).
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

  11. #76391
    Legend zeke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    75,093
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    Lol habsy.
    #FreeVladdyJr

  12. #76392
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    60,203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    Of course investigators can follow evidence of criminal activity found in searches for another purpose. If you get pulled over for speeding and have a bunch of weed in the car you don't avoid possesson charges because they only pulled you over for speeding.

    Also, solicitor-client privilege is a rule of evidence regarding admissibility. its not a shield for criminal activity.

  13. #76393
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    60,203
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    It is apparent to me though that many people are willing to just give up freedoms and privacy because it’s not them being targeted and if it’s someone they hate then they give it up even more freely. People don’t realize that once the precedence has been set then they’re ****ed... eventually. Don’t tread on me.
    But wait, we are talking about covering up criminal activity here. What is the public policy argument for solicitor client privilege protecting that?

    You literally only have to worry about "treading" if you are utilizing your lawyer under the false belief that it shields you from prosecution.

  14. #76394
    The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins. CH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    41,681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    It is apparent to me though that many people are willing to just give up freedoms and privacy because itís not them being targeted and if itís someone they hate then they give it up even more freely. People donít realize that once the precedence has been set then theyíre ****ed... eventually. Donít tread on me.
    Please tell me this is not the first time you contemplated this.
    Some GMs get you to the playoffs and some GMs get you through the playoffs.

  15. #76395
    The Artist Formerly Known as chiggins. CH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    41,681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    As someone that likely uses attorneys far more than most, this is a big ****ing deal to me and I am watching most intently to see how this shakes out. This is unprecedented.
    You should be OK.
    Some GMs get you to the playoffs and some GMs get you through the playoffs.

  16. #76396
    Legend zeke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    75,093
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    If they raided cohen without evidence then they just torpedoed any case they might have had. So habsy should be happy.
    #FreeVladdyJr

  17. #76397
    3rd Liner
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    504
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    I have just read the past 13 pages and the one thing i can say I have noticed, is how each poster here has their own agenda. Since i havent met any of you ( although i once offered zeke a house to use when he needed a place a few years ago) i have imagined your personalities and traits from these postings. My conclusions concerning most of you is one of obvious respect and admiration for your mostly intelligent and introspective perceptions on the matters of this post.
    This is just mho and i am obviously not as well versed or learned as many of you who post here but doesnt this whole Trump discussion strike you as comical and sad.
    I think that habsy is right when he made the point of a slippery slope as far as lawyer/client privledge. Kind of reminds me of a jack in the box, open the box (taking all of the lawyers records) and whatever jumps out, take it and run.
    Another point which i find absolutely hilarious is that every single one of the persons in charge of the investigation themselves have closets they dont wish to be opened because of the smell dead bodies make ( so i am told lol).
    So you have the rats chasing the rats ......
    Name me one president or vice president or department head who hasnt got some dark secret from some wrong doing or criminal activity which they have partaken or witnessed which they have not reported or divulged.
    Power is built on the backs of others. Whether it be money made in stocks or gromets made in some basement in a far away place ....
    I am not a trump supporter ...... but i certainly dont think for one minute hillary would have been any better or more credible.
    On that hill, there is blood everywhere .... a little seen but most hidden away, out of sight, of we the public.
    I had to smile when someone made the comment about freedom of speech being one of the republicans constitutional priorities (my words) being a democrat supporter, no one uses that freedom of speech more and loosely than a democrat but that is just mho.
    Trump has some power ... i think they call it executive power but the real power is the people in behind the scenes. These are the ones who make the real important decisions, that play on a scale we have no concept.
    Trump is a figurehead, which the public is permitted (voting) to partake upon. And the public has spoken .... i think it is an indication of the populations anger and desires. They may have failed but would hilary and the democrats been any better? Cause we all know, same shit but just a different boat and for most of us, it is about what is in it for me.
    Jmho and i enjoy reading your comments and gaining the knowledge of your perceptions and insights.
    Thank you

  18. #76398
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by CH1 View Post
    You should be OK.
    Yeah. Habsy demographics won't be targeted.

  19. #76399
    Legend zeke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    75,093
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by uncus View Post
    I have just read the past 13 pages and the one thing i can say I have noticed, is how each poster here has their own agenda. Since i havent met any of you ( although i once offered zeke a house to use when he needed a place a few years ago) i have imagined your personalities and traits from these postings. My conclusions concerning most of you is one of obvious respect and admiration for your mostly intelligent and introspective perceptions on the matters of this post.
    This is just mho and i am obviously not as well versed or learned as many of you who post here but doesnt this whole Trump discussion strike you as comical and sad.
    I think that habsy is right when he made the point of a slippery slope as far as lawyer/client privledge. Kind of reminds me of a jack in the box, open the box (taking all of the lawyers records) and whatever jumps out, take it and run.
    Another point which i find absolutely hilarious is that every single one of the persons in charge of the investigation themselves have closets they dont wish to be opened because of the smell dead bodies make ( so i am told lol).
    So you have the rats chasing the rats ......
    Name me one president or vice president or department head who hasnt got some dark secret from some wrong doing or criminal activity which they have partaken or witnessed which they have not reported or divulged.
    Power is built on the backs of others. Whether it be money made in stocks or gromets made in some basement in a far away place ....
    I am not a trump supporter ...... but i certainly dont think for one minute hillary would have been any better or more credible.
    On that hill, there is blood everywhere .... a little seen but most hidden away, out of sight, of we the public.
    I had to smile when someone made the comment about freedom of speech being one of the republicans constitutional priorities (my words) being a democrat supporter, no one uses that freedom of speech more and loosely than a democrat but that is just mho.
    Trump has some power ... i think they call it executive power but the real power is the people in behind the scenes. These are the ones who make the real important decisions, that play on a scale we have no concept.
    Trump is a figurehead, which the public is permitted (voting) to partake upon. And the public has spoken .... i think it is an indication of the populations anger and desires. They may have failed but would hilary and the democrats been any better? Cause we all know, same shit but just a different boat and for most of us, it is about what is in it for me.
    Jmho and i enjoy reading your comments and gaining the knowledge of your perceptions and insights.
    Thank you
    offer still good?
    #FreeVladdyJr

  20. #76400
    Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Forum ICE
    Posts
    145,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: American Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by leafman101 View Post
    But wait, we are talking about covering up criminal activity here. What is the public policy argument for solicitor client privilege protecting that?

    You literally only have to worry about "treading" if you are utilizing your lawyer under the false belief that it shields you from prosecution.
    It can. Opinion papers add a layer of protection. I'll leave it at that.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

Page 3820 of 3827 FirstFirst ... 2820332037203770381038183819382038213822 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •