• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Pfft. Keep telling yourself that.

Why was Iceland brought into the alliance then? We're of strategic geographic importance to the US.

To clarify my view again....we should be able to maintain our territorial integrity and need a spending increase to do so. There's nothing magic about 2% though.

You don't get to arbitrarily decide while others are ponying up far more. As I said, if Canada wants to renegotiate then they should say so but pay their way while renegotiating.

They don't want to renegotiate because they've been getting away with screwing other countries for 30 years. If they renegotiate they'll lose their loophole.

Why was Iceland brought into the alliance then? We're of strategic geographic importance to the US.

To clarify my view again....we should be able to maintain our territorial integrity and need a spending increase to do so. There's nothing magic about 2% though.
You don't think there should be fairness in contribution? Percentage based on GDP is very fair. The USA has the highest GDP in NATO and pays the most, there is no reason they should pay 3.81% to Canada's 1% though.

You don't get to arbitrarily decide while others are ponying up far more. As I said, if Canada wants to renegotiate then they should say so but pay their way while renegotiating.

They don't want to renegotiate because they've been getting away with screwing other countries for 30 years. If they renegotiate they'll lose their loophole.

There.is.no.contract.to.renegotiate.

Goal man...****ing goal. Language is important.

You don't think there should be fairness in contribution? Percentage based on GDP is very fair. The USA has the highest GDP in NATO and pays the most, there is no reason they should pay 3.81% to Canada's 1% though.

Canada, and by extension Europe, love the security benefits they get from the US, while getting to ignore up to half of the costs associated with being a member. It's great budgeting.

In other words, Canadians are selfish deadbeats. You might as well move on.

Canada, and by extension Europe, love the security benefits they get from the US, while getting to ignore up to half of the costs associated with being a member. It's great budgeting.

In other words, Canadians are selfish deadbeats. You might as well move on.
Yep. People don't want to look in the mirror.

Last edited:
Why was Iceland brought into the alliance then? We're of strategic geographic importance to the US. To clarify my view again....we should be able to maintain our territorial integrity and need a spending increase to do so. There's nothing magic about 2% though.

Iceland was brought in because it is of strategic importance to Europe and Scandinavia.

Back