Page 5030 of 5218 FirstFirst ... 4030453049304980502050285029503050315032504050805130 ... LastLast
Results 100,581 to 100,600 of 104347

Thread: OT: American Politics

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OT: American Politics

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    but does the world really think this is a trump problem?

don't you think they see it as country-that-elected-a-trump problem?
    From everything I've read the international community sees this as an America problem with Trump just being a pretty ridiculous avatar of everything wrong with the US political system and climate.

Nobody thinks that simply removing Trump removes the problem.
    The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is required to produce it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default OT: Politics Thread

Merging the Canadian and American Politics thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OT: American Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    I do think that other politicians playing nice, Macron, Trudeau, will see how pointless it is and start playing at least more aloof, is not downright nasty.
    I think the way to play nasty is to target Trump. He clearly values himself and his business more than he values America. Start attacking him and him specifically. Answer Trump driven trade wars tit for tat, and target red state economies with your responses, but if there is a Trump branded or Trump owned property on your soil, ****ing hammer them with everything you can. Crawl up their ass with every tool at your disposal. Expand wind turbine installs beside his golf courses, have health inspectors hit his properties as often as the law allows with ****ing microscopes, etc, etc.
    The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is required to produce it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OT: Politics Thread

It's scary how much Trump's crap works on so many. The U.S is hopeless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SundinsTooth View Post
    I know you guys are the mods and can do anything that you want, but don't you think the canadian political issues, local elections and politics will be swamped by the American issues and politics?
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

Post Thanks / Like

I know you guys are the mods and can do anything that you want, but don't you think the canadian political issues, local elections and politics will be swamped by the American issues and politics?
    Yeah, especially given how much US political chatter goes on, feels like merging the 2 is going to lead to a lot of cross-talk. Obviously this tariff issue splits the lines, but I'd vote to keep them separate.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/05/evi...chment-senate/

With the likes of Trey Gowdy and Mitch McConnell refusing to join Trump’s Fox News amen chorus screaming “spygate” after the briefings by the Department of Justice and the Director of National Intelligence last week, Trump is left with the likes of Dim Bulb Nunes and the House Freedom Caucus to defend him. That’s not good.

It’s impossible to tell at this point, but it’s beginning to look like Trump would have a hard time putting the votes together to fight impeachment in the Senate. He doesn’t have a single Democrat, and Republicans aren’t exactly lining up to follow him over the cliff.

It’s looking more and more like we are approaching that famous moment during Watergate when three senior Republican Senators got in a black car at the Capitol and drove up Pennsylvania Avenue to the White House and told Richard Nixon that he wouldn’t survive an impeachment vote in the Senate. They told him if he wanted to avoid certain indictment and possible conviction for federal crimes once he left office, he had better resign and make a deal for a pardon with his Vice President, Gerald Ford, who would succeed him as president. Which is what he did.

Trump isn’t that far from facing the same decision. He has been acting like a guilty man since the day he panicked over Sessions’ recusal. A Watergate-style Saturday night massacre of his top law enforcement officers isn’t going to save him any more than it saved Richard Nixon. If Trump were to be impeached by the House and found guilty by the Senate, he would leave office with no protections at all against indictment and conviction for god-only-knows what crimes he’s committed with Russians and other thugs. His business empire would be in jeopardy. He may as well start looking forward to spending his retirement at Mar-a-Leavenworth.
    Good article pointing out the big differences between the protection Trump has received from the House and Senate. He seems to have few friends in the Senate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
    Yeah, especially given how much US political chatter goes on, feels like merging the 2 is going to lead to a lot of cross-talk. Obviously this tariff issue splits the lines, but I'd vote to keep them separate.
    Same, Zeke is dumb to suggest putting them in the same thread. We split them for a pretty good reason a couple of years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the slower pace of Canadian politics will mean the one or two posts per page will be missed in the sea of whatever nonsense trump(or whoever is president) is up to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SundinsTooth View Post
    #FreeVladdy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
    It's scary how much Trump's crap works on so many. The U.S is hopeless.
    Honestly, is Canada that much better? I think we're bailed out more by our political system including additional parties and pressure relief valves than anything else. The amount of support for Trump in western Canada is roughly equivalent to his core of support in the US. Doug Ford might be the next premier of Ontario.

I think we just have to come to grips with the fact that morons fall for populism and are willing to follow the corrupt ******* offering it regardless of his failings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindzEye View Post
    Same, Zeke is dumb to suggest putting them in the same thread. We split them for a pretty good reason a couple of years ago.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the "OT:Politics Thread" ends up being the default "OT:American Politics" within a month, with no "OT:Canadian Politics"

Post Thanks / Like

The Daily Beast @thedailybeast
    NEW: White House demands TBS cancel Samantha Bee’s show thebea.st/2H7RXuK
    Show this thread
    #FreeVladdy

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, is Canada that much better? I think we're bailed out more by our political system including additional parties and pressure relief valves than anything else. The amount of support for Trump in western Canada is roughly equivalent to his core of support in the US. Doug Ford might be the next premier of Ontario.

I think we just have to come to grips with the fact that morons fall for populism and are willing to follow the corrupt ******* offering it regardless of his failings.
    Yeah, Doug in charge of Ontario is a recipe for disaster, and definitely still scary to think that he's still poised to win the election.

Really not sure what the solution is. Would people actually vote for a sensible solution overall, or does the fact that politics come down way too often to emotion mean that we're forever doomed?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the "OT:Politics Thread" ends up being the default "OT:American Politics" within a month, with no "OT:Canadian Politics"
    Don't worry, we'll make our own Canadian politics thread with blackjack and hookers.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry, we'll make our own Canadian politics thread with blackjack and hookers.
    I like one of those things, I wont say which one.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Doug in charge of Ontario is a recipe for disaster, and definitely still scary to think that he's still poised to win the election.

Really not sure what the solution is. Would people actually vote for a sensible solution overall, or does the fact that politics come down way too often to emotion mean that we're forever doomed?
    I don't think we're forever doomed, but it absolutely starts with education. Try to strike up a conversation with someone about public policy, they're very quickly lost in a mess of bad assumptions and personal biases. Apparently Ontario has started to add personal finance to it's secondary school education, and that's awesome. Now add civics & economics as required courses in every province and we're on our way to creating generations of kids who can't be baffled by bullshit. Who understand how their system works and can spot a politicians lie from 100m away. Engaged and enlightened citizenry is always the answer. How to create that is the question.

Post Thanks / Like

probably the Canadian politics thread, I'm guessing.
    "...And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Post Thanks / Like

Not much of a card player eh?

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently Ontario has started to add personal finance to it's secondary school education, and that's awesome.
    wait, what?
    #FreeVladdy

Page 5030 of 5218 FirstFirst ... 4030453049304980502050285029503050315032504050805130 ... LastLast