• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Any degree does not make you an expert in a field. Years, and years of continued practice, education and professional development make you an expert.

That engineer graduate is still just a first year engineer that is heavily sheltered from clients, who you likely don't want stamping your drawings.

You can't call yourself an engineer with an undergrad degree, not in Canada.

As much as an education does not prepare you for the real world, let's not dismiss it too much. It's incredibly important and the more the better as far as I'm concerned.

As long as you don't accept everything as gospel and regurgitate it without thought. University is for questioning. These past couple of decades that seems to have changed.

As much as an education does not prepare you for the real world, let's not dismiss it too much. It's incredibly important and the more the better as far as I'm concerned.

It's also unfair to compare what I do, and economics. My training is not just research and reading, it's equal parts knowledge/equal parts clinical practice and seeing clients. I didn't just read about the capabilities of an individual with a 90 IQ, I interviewed these people and observed them, and tested them.

Spicer on Trump, "He was a leader in the effort to call Brexit, as you know"

As long as you don't accept everything as gospel and regurgitate it without thought. University is for questioning. These past couple of decades that seems to have changed.

+1. College should develop one's capacity for critical thought. Regurgitation doesn't lead to progress.

Yes, and I was too glib earlier.

By all means, people should apply what they learn. But properly. And waving about one's qualifications is meaningless.

I never got beyond a bachelor's degree but I thought a master's degree required more than that (granted I haven't been to a University in eons...)

I'd say tenacity is more important than IQ, where you come from or who your parents are. Unwillingness to look at a setback as defeat and a willingness to push forward even through daunting times. That's what it takes.

money is not the only way to measure success. money just solves your money problem.

The longer I've been out of school the more I wish I did more. I love learning for learning's sake more now than I ever did when I was young.

also I know many average intellect types who made great dough by being overconfident and lucky. lots of ways to "succeed" if you're using money as a metric

The longer I've been out of school the more I wish I did more. I love learning for learning's sake more now than I ever did when I was young.

I've been on a reading bender of late --- probably reading more now than I did when I had to in college

Back