• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

What a petty twat.

He's wrong about this, has been told that he's wrong about this and yet continues to insist that his will be served like he's a ****ing dictator.

DdeWG3iVMAA2wAa.jpg:large

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick says there are too many entrances and exits to schools, and that is why shootings are able to happen. "Had there been one single entrance possibly for every student, maybe he would have been stopped."

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick says there are too many entrances and exits to schools, and that is why shootings are able to happen. "Had there been one single entrance possibly for every student, maybe he would have been stopped."

It is sad that innocent children and civilians are killed.

But when you elect people who say things like that...

I see a guy talking about the need for metal detectors in schools. "Problem solved." WTF? A guy walks into a school with a gun and the metal detector beeps... how does that stop the guy from shooting the place up?

Don't get me wrong, it's a good step that makes some sense... but it is just one minor step that on it's own doesn't stop anything.

#doorcontrol

Ben Collins @oneunderscore__
6h
New: Facebook confirmed to me it deleted Dimitrios Pagourtzis’ Instagram account shortly after the shooting.

The account followed 13 pages.

Eight were gun fan pages. The first four were Donald Trump, Ivanka, Melania and The White House.

Yeah, fire marshals might have a dim view of that.

Anyway. Guns, it’s futile until a powerful lobby emerges to counter the NRA and influence the primaries. Until then, school shootings and epidemic of suicides will go on.

Not to throw logic into this particular case but apparently this kid was building bombs but got impatient or they malfunctioned or for whatever reason turned to guns. He was hell-bent on hurting people and had he waited longer to perfect the bombs, it could have actually been much much worse. All that being said, his father is complicit in allowing his troubled kid to have access to his guns. Many States have laws on that now, Texas isn't one of them. If you don't secure your own firearms and your kid gets a hold of them, you're culpable IMO. This isn't a case like Parkland because of it, just like Sandy Hook. These deranged kids weren't able to go buy the guns, they already had them at home unsecured. No bueno.

I am now of the opinion that the ATF needs to have a budget for a new national registration system whereby licensed dealers can file for background checks and look for flags. There also needs to be a federal law in dealing with the storage of said firearms. I do not believe either point is unconstitutional. My kids still don't know the combination to my gun safe and my biometric safes are only linked to my, and my wife's, biometrics. I would be devastated if one of my family fell off the deep end and used my firearms in such a horrendous manner. In fact, I keep most of mine locked up at the office now. They aren't even at home. When I feel like shooting I take them to the range.

I forgot to mention, they need to implement a 3-day waiting period on rifles (currently it's zero) and a 7-day waiting period o n handguns, it's currently 3-day.

People with Conceal Carry permits are actually allowed to purchase a handgun and leave with it same day.

Not to throw logic into this particular case but apparently this kid was building bombs but got impatient or they malfunctioned or for whatever reason turned to guns. He was hell-bent on hurting people and had he waited longer to perfect the bombs, it could have actually been much much worse.

Bombs are hard. Surprisingly hard for the layperson to understand. Part of the point behind the argument of just making guns harder to get is that time is our friend with these people. Every day they're unable to get their hands on the tools they need to do the acts they're planning is an additional day that people around them have to identify these dangerous behaviours, that law enforcement has to identify dangerous online behaviour, etc.

I don't see why you think this is "throwing logic" into this at all. This incident actually reinforces the salient point about how easy access to firearms is driving these attacks. He tried making bombs but that shit is hard. If he tried getting guns but then that shit was hard, maybe he's attacking with a knife instead if he's that committed. I'll take that substitution in force multiplication any day of the week.

All that being said, his father is complicit in allowing his troubled kid to have access to his guns. Many States have laws on that now, Texas isn't one of them. If you don't secure your own firearms and your kid gets a hold of them, you're culpable IMO. This isn't a case like Parkland because of it, just like Sandy Hook. These deranged kids weren't able to go buy the guns, they already had them at home unsecured. No bueno.

Yep. Make the owner accountable and these kids getting their hands on one of dad's guns becomes much less likely.

I am now of the opinion that the ATF needs to have a budget for a new national registration system whereby licensed dealers can file for background checks and look for flags. There also needs to be a federal law in dealing with the storage of said firearms. I do not believe either point is unconstitutional.

Those would be good to start, yeah.

Justin Hendrix @justinhendrix
MAJOR NEWS: Donald Trump Jr. and Other Aides Met With Gulf Emissary Offering Help to Win Election:
nytimes.com/2018/05/19/us/…

I don't see why you think this is "throwing logic" into this at all. This incident actually reinforces the salient point about how easy access to firearms is driving these attacks. He tried making bombs but that shit is hard. If he tried getting guns but then that shit was hard, maybe he's attacking with a knife instead if he's that committed. I'll take that substitution in force multiplication any day of the week.

Yeah, it's economics 101. There are a million cases where disincentives have proven to work.

Back