• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Most people would rather exhaust all possible alternatives first rather than get an erection at the thought of the destruction of a major world metropolis.
Ya, and one of those alternatives is doing nothing and letting them build up a ever growing nuclear arsenal along with increasing their missile capabilities, in other worlds, for every despot out there, as long as you hold a important city hostage, you can get away with whatever you want.

And again, I would much rather a peaceful solution, but I also realize the necessity of war if it comes right down to it. So I'm not getting an erection about this conflict, again, I probably have more skin in the game than anyone else here. What I do get a lot of fun out of is showing people how naive and innocent they are. People think that a war isn't possible, all the while every sign is pointing towards one.

Trump just used the national security clause to pass steel tariffs.

Ever wonder why?

http://business.financialpost.com/o...or-trumps-steel-tariffs-hes-preparing-for-war

rump is old enough to know that during the Korean War, president Harry Truman seized the U.S. steel industry to maintain production for America’s then-vulnerable wartime economy. During the Second World War, when the U.S. dominated the world’s steel production, rationing was nevertheless needed — the public was even exhorted to donate their automobile bumpers to the war effort as scrap steel.

oday, the U.S. has not only lost much of its steel capacity, it’s at risk of losing the balance, making it dependent on a host of countries: Canada, its largest and most reliable foreign supplier, meets just five per cent of U.S. needs. According to the U.S. Commerce Department, the United States is now at risk of finding itself “in a position where it is unable to be certain it could meet demands for national defense and critical industries in a national emergency.” If dependent on a foreign country, the department warns, the U.S. would not have the legal authority to commandeer supplies as it could within the U.S.

His state of the Union address mentioned north korea 475 times. ISIS was mentioned 302 times. Iran was mentioned 48 times, Israel 23. Russia and China got a sentence.

He just fired Tillerson, and McMaster is about to be replaced by a even bigger hawk in Bolton.

But meanwhile people flippantly brush off any possibility of a war with North Korea.

It amuses me to no end that people can simply ignore that.

There is no causus belli. Rationale solutions exist. Kim is a murderous, but rational, actor.
I will laugh at lecoqsportif the most I think. While I can, for I wont be posting once deployed.

Too late.

they don't have the missile technology. Yet. They soon will. Which is why I wont be surprised if military options are on the table before too long if negotiations go south, or the US has intel that it's being played by Kim.

You will be.

To stop the North Koreans from obtaining working nuclear weapons and missile technology that can threaten the US and its allies.

That has always been the US position.

That wouldn't really hold any water in international law. Of course, international law is largely toothless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one cares about international law, this is RealPolitik.

War is possible, but only if the US is supremely incompetent and stupid. So, yeah, at present there’s always a chance.

Re: OT: Canadian Politics

I was holding off on saying anything until the announcement on Monday, but Canadian Forces are off to Mali. It's on the news, so I figure it's safe.(I though Washington was leaky)

Details to follow, so I'll talk more in depth then.

You've given no reasonable explanation as to why there would be a war other than "NK is crazy", and "American's won't stand for a nuclear armed Korea"

When in reality, Korea isn't remotely "crazy" and no foreign policy experts who have studied the NK regime believe them to be anything but rational, if brutal actors...and the US has "stood for" a nuclear Korea for a number of years now. The genie is out of the ****ing bottle and any attack on NK becomes the catalyst for letting a nuke off the chain. It's the only way they let one loose, because again they're rational actors and their goal is the survival of the regime. If their goal was to be a nihilist destroyer of their enemies, Japan would be glowing already.

Rocket Man has to find balance between the hard liners in his military (the only domestic threat to his power), the Chinese (who would happily facilitate that transfer of power if RM goes fully off the reservation...the don't like the instability in their backyard at all) and the US. That they've done so for years suggests that infact they are completely rational actors in all of this with shitty, but entirely rational goals.

Back