• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Yes but how far were they willing to go. That is what also needs to be determined. Grenades can be lobbed both ways.

Just so we're clear. This whole, bizarre saga was triggered by confirmed Russian meddling in the U.S. election and alleged collusion by one party.

You can't cast aside constitutional rights. Period. You're implying that while investigating an alleged crime it's ok to commit other crimes.

It's not.

Also, the media and Democrats are going to end up with egg on their face concerning this alleged collusion. Mark my words on that. Willing to bet money on it too.

I think someone is going to get their hand caught in the cookie jar from the previous administration, they fully expected to win this election and didn't expect this to come out.

People here like to beat the McCarthyist drum but if you truly look at it impartially, there's zero evidence of collusion. In fact, former Obama officials have said so yet the drum keeps getting beat. Wishful thinking that will end up embarrassing.

I am an Arctic researcher. Donald Trump is deleting my citations

As an Arctic researcher, I’m used to gaps in data. Just over 1% of US Arctic waters have been surveyed to modern standards. In truth, some of the maps we use today haven’t been updated since the second world war. Navigating uncharted waters can prove difficult, but it comes with the territory of working in such a remote part of the world.

Over the past two months though, I’ve been navigating a different type of uncharted territory: the deleting of what little data we have by the Trump administration.

At first, the distress flare of lost data came as a surge of defunct links on 21 January. The US National Strategy for the Arctic, the Implementation Plan for the Strategy, and the report on our progress all gone within a matter of minutes. As I watched more and more links turned red, I frantically combed the internet for archived versions of our country’s most important polar policies.

I had no idea then that this disappearing act had just begun.

Since January, the surge has transformed into a slow, incessant march of deleting datasets, webpages and policies about the Arctic. I now come to expect a weekly email request to replace invalid citations, hoping that someone had the foresight to download statistics about Arctic permafrost thaw or renewable energy in advance of the purge.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...researcher-donald-trump-deleting-my-citations

Lol Donald Trump is deleting my data. Too ****ing funny. That's up there with Obama dressing as a pest control man to bug Donald's office.

Obviously not Trump himself, but the current government is removing their scientific data from the public. Which is a big problem. Suppressing scientific discovery has tended to lead to the fall of civilizations throughout history. Its not something the government should be engaged in.

Then he should say that. The way these articles get written and titled is ridiculous. I realize every president goes through that but it's part of the reason Trump is able to fool people into fake news.

More to your point, I agree. If that's true it's dark ages mentality. Not like both sides haven't tried fudging numbers before either though. Everyone should just let the data be what it is but alas, politics.

They article does:

Over the past two months though, I’ve been navigating a different type of uncharted territory: the deleting of what little data we have by the Trump administration.

But yeah I agree editors using inflammatory, click-bait titles that don't accurately reflect the story to draw interest is big problem. Especially because people tend to just read the headlines.

Back