Page 3269 of 3302 FirstFirst ... 22692769316932193259326732683269327032713279 ... LastLast
Results 65,361 to 65,380 of 66025

Thread: OT: American Politics

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OT: American Politics

#TeamReimer

Post Thanks / Like

I see what white supremacists stand for, but until to see the tie in to civil war memorials.
    No one loves the warrior until the enemy is at the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    An idiot grunt like habitants should be enraged.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindzEye View Post
    Actually, it really does. The rights to free speech in the US are not absolute. I've tried to explain to you a few times that you have a poor grasp of the concept in actual practice and you continue to not listen.

Incitement, Libel/Slander, Obscenity, "Fighting Words"...all categories of speech of that are not protected. Running around shouting racial epithets is not protected speech.
    So you're saying that the Antifa "protesters" violated the 1st amendment?

it's funny that they want everyone to think the civil war was just a normal territorial battle qith heroes on both sides, instead of a war to stop slavery.

but this is what we get for giving the losers participation trophies, I guess.
    The only hardware on your shelf, I'd wager.

Quote Originally Posted by BKerr View Post
    https://twitter.com/TheFalconer/stat...77067000270848

Don Falconer‏ @TheFalconer
    If one person shows up at your protest with a swastika flag, and the rest of the group lets him stay, you're all now carrying that flag.
    If one Muslim shows up on your plane with a bomb, are all Muslims now carrying that bomb?
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

- George Carlin

Make America Great Again!

- President Elect Donald J. Trump

Wrong Thinker Extraordinaire Habsy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH1 View Post
    I think it goes beyond electoral strategy-- members of the GOP are genuinely appalled by these Neo Nazis.
    It's time they banned any white supremacists from running as a Pub or even affiliating with the GOP. The RNC has to come out and say no, you don't represent what we stand for and you won't be allowed to run as GOP. Peoples fathers, grandfathers and relatives didn't die ridding the world of the Nazis only to have them sprout up in the US. **** that.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

Post Thanks / Like

Trump's statement yesterday was just unbelievable. What a coward. He doesn't want to offend his base of white supremacists. Also, while I'm speaking about the tragedy, let me list my great accomplishments! Oh and let's mention Obama again and blame him for the 1000th time!
    CNN criticizes him, let's call them out! White Supremacists! Let's not offend. They voted for me!
    They've got to get a way to get him out before it's too late.

Post Thanks / Like

if this doesn't show you what those confederate memorials actually stand for, nothing will.
    The only argument I have about that is that history can't be erased, put in the closet or tucked away in any form. There are people that look at the memorials and realize that it can never happen again.
    #FireJulien#FireMarcBergevin Burn Geoff Molson in effigy! #worstmanagementstaffever

Post Thanks / Like

white house official are doubling down this morning on NOT singling out white supremacists for blame here.
    #TeamReimer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    The only argument I have about that is that history can't be erased, put in the closet or tucked away in any form. There are people that look at the memorials and realize that it can never happen again.
    so put it in a museum. not a public honorific.
    #TeamReimer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
    Trump's statement yesterday was just unbelievable. What a coward. He doesn't want to offend his base of white supremacists. Also, while I'm speaking about the tragedy, let me list my great accomplishments! Oh and let's mention Obama again and blame him for the 1000th time!
    CNN criticizes him, let's call them out! White Supremacists! Let's not offend. They voted for me!
    They've got to get a way to get him out before it's too late.
    Let's be honest here, the white supremacists aren't Trump's base. I know plenty of people that voted for Trump that don't align with that radical and disgusting ideology. In my mind however that makes his chickenshit "all sides" statement worse. You're actually pandering to a fringe element to retain their vote? Seriously? It's disgusting.

When he said he denounced the actions in the strongest possible terms I thought good, it's about time. The problem was that should have been a full stop. Should he have expressly called out the POS Neo Nazis? Absolutely. At bare minimum though he shouldn't have all-sided the statement. I think conflating different incidents is a cop out. Does Antifa pull some bullshit? Sure. There are fringe groups everywhere with radical ideologies. That in no means even comes close to justifying what happened yesterday or in many other incidents.

I am a strong believer in constitutional rights. I believe Trump has the right to do many stupid things as President. Not because he's Trump, but because he's President. People have the right to express their opinions, no matter how disgusting and vile. What they don't have the right to do is incite violence and riot. The cops should have shut that crap down quickly yesterday, people that don't like it could take it to court. Sure the line is a fine one but unlike many countries, there are legal recourse for your grievances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Habsy View Post
    There are different types of memorials. Some look back at history critically, and some celebrate it. We don't need statues celebrating the history of slavery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHolmes View Post
    So you're saying that the Antifa "protesters" violated the 1st amendment?

The only hardware on your shelf, I'd wager.

If one Muslim shows up on your plane with a bomb, are all Muslims now carrying that bomb?
    nazi coward.

IMG_20170813_100905.jpg
    #TeamReimer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyHolmes View Post
    When you stand beside that person and associate yourself with them... sure.

I don't think a muslim sitting on his couch is associating with the guy on the plane.
    I don't think a white dude sitting at home on his couch is associating with the guy with the nazi flag.

The guy marching beside the guy holding the nazi flag? He's condoning the behavior and stands with him.

Post Thanks / Like

so put it in a museum. not a public honorific.
    You think the people that need to understand where the country came from and how far it's come go to museums?

It's taken 150 years to get to the point where the country is ready to stop placating the south. These memorials were allowed to go up to quell the radical fervor of the south's loss to the north. Is it time to rethink the memorials? Sure I think so but I also realize it's a delicate situation. You won't change hearts and minds with a stick. People worry so much about offending other people until they are the ones doing the offending.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BKerr View Post
    There are different types of memorials. Some look back at history critically, and some celebrate it. We don't need statues celebrating the history of slavery.
    The argument here is the conflation of celebrating pride with slavery.

Post Thanks / Like

germany got rid of nazi statues for a good reason.

and it didn't paper over history.
    #TeamReimer

Post Thanks / Like

Jefferson and Washington were both slave owners. It was a fabric of society back then. They were also integral in the formation and the succession of the United States from Great Britain. Should all their memorials be removed as well?

Post Thanks / Like

i think we could stick with the ones who fought against America to keep slavery.
    #TeamReimer

Post Thanks / Like

So then it was okay until it wasn't and the delineation line is with the particular men that fought for the South in the civil war?

Post Thanks / Like

These are Robert E Lee's own words, the fact he uses the term "enlightened age" in this ridiculous justification is really telling:

Robert E. Lee letter dated December 27, 1856:

I was much pleased the with President's message. His views of the systematic and progressive efforts of certain people at the North to interfere with and change the domestic institutions of the South are truthfully and faithfully expressed. The consequences of their plans and purposes are also clearly set forth. These people must be aware that their object is both unlawful and foreign to them and to their duty, and that this institution, for which they are irresponsible and non-accountable, can only be changed by them through the agency of a civil and servile war. There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil. It is idle to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it is a greater evil to the white than to the colored race. While my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more deeply engaged for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, physically, and socially. The painful discipline they are undergoing is necessary for their further instruction as a race, and will prepare them, I hope, for better things. How long their servitude may be necessary is known and ordered by a merciful Providence. Their emancipation will sooner result from the mild and melting influences of Christianity than from the storm and tempest of fiery controversy. This influence, though slow, is sure. The doctrines and miracles of our Saviour have required nearly two thousand years to convert but a small portion of the human race, and even among Christian nations what gross errors still exist! While we see the course of the final abolition of human slavery is still onward, and give it the aid of our prayers, let us leave the progress as well as the results in the hands of Him who, chooses to work by slow influences, and with whom a thousand years are but as a single day. Although the abolitionist must know this, must know that he has neither the right not the power of operating, except by moral means; that to benefit the slave he must not excite angry feelings in the master; that, although he may not approve the mode by which Providence accomplishes its purpose, the results will be the same; and that the reason he gives for interference in matters he has no concern with, holds good for every kind of interference with our neighbor, -still, I fear he will persevere in his evil course. . . . Is it not strange that the descendants of those Pilgrim Fathers who crossed the Atlantic to preserve their own freedom have always proved the most intolerant of the spiritual liberty of others?
    http://www.civilwarhome.com/leepierce.htm

Post Thanks / Like

yeah I would say there would be some dilineation for those who actively fought for slavery.
    #TeamReimer

Page 3269 of 3302 FirstFirst ... 22692769316932193259326732683269327032713279 ... LastLast