• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

ISIL is the most heavily and advanced militarized terrorist group ever. They have way more equipment than AQ ever had. And the region has rarely been this unstable (which is saying something)

84 airstrikes and counting on ISIS in the last few days. 14 and counting since the video was released yesterday. One major military defeat already, their head honcho has fled back to syria, and in desperation they killed one of the two hostages they've been holding for two years.

"doing nothing"

Beheading that guy was a sign of weakness and desperation, not strength. It means what we are doing is working,

Habsy needs the Obama translator.

[video=youtube;-qv7k2_lc0M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qv7k2_lc0M[/video]

Re: OT: Canadian Politics

Karen Stintz drops out of mayoral race:

“I’m announcing my decision to exit the race for mayor of Toronto,” she said at an 11 a.m. news conference.

“I knew more than anyone I was in for a difficult race,” Stintz said. She decided to run because “I know how to get things done at City Hall.”

She admitted she was disappointed that her campaign and ideas “didn’t gain the traction” she had hoped and financially she could no longer continue.

Stintz also said she would not be running for council. “It’s time to start a new chapter.”

Her immediate plans, she said, were to “get through the next council meeting” and get her children, Jackson, 9, and Hailey, 7, ready to go back to school.

So, now, Tory, Chow, Ford and Soknacki are the only Mayoral candidates left with anything more than fringe-level support. And since Soknacki's been stuck around 5% for the entire campaign, you have to figure that it won't be too much longer before he follows Stintz out the door.

Oh, and thank god WE didn't elect republicans instead of obama, and avoided implementing conservative economic policy:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...30s-europes-recession-is-really-a-depression/

.... it's time to call the eurozone what it really is: one of the biggest catastrophes in economic history.

There have been plenty of those lately. And it's not just the Great Recession. It's the way we've struggled to make up the ground we lost since. The United States, for one, has had its slowest postwar recovery. Britain has had its slowest one, period. But, six and a half years later, Europe has distinguished itself by not having much of a recovery at all. And, as you can see above, that's about to make it worse than the worst of the 1930s.

I've taken the chart above from Nicholas Crafts, and extended it a bit to put Europe's depression in, well, even more depressing perspective. Eurozone GDP still hasn't gotten back to its 2007 level, and doesn't look like it will anytime soon. Indeed, it already wasn't clear if its last recession was even over before we found out the eurozone had stopped growing again in the second quarter. And not even Germany has been immune: its GDP just fell 0.2 percent from the previous quarter.

It's a policy-induced disaster. Too much fiscal austerity and too little monetary stimulus have crippled growth like almost never before.
Europe is doing worse than Japan during its "lost decade," worse than the sterling bloc during the Great Depression, and barely better than the gold bloc then—though even that silver lining isn't much of one. That's because, at this rate, it'll only be another year until the eurozone is well behind the gold bloc, too....

And

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/2...edges-economic-malaise-blaming-austerity.html

.......As Europe faces the prospect of its third recession in five years, France is quickly emerging as one of the weakest links among the 18 nations that share the euro.

After months of insisting that a recovery from Europe’s long debt crisis was at hand, President François Hollande on Wednesday delivered a far bleaker message. He indicated that the austerity policies France had been compelled to adopt to meet the eurozone’s budget deficit targets were making growth impossible.

Paris officials say that France — the eurozone’s second-largest economy after Germany — will no longer try to meet this year’s deficit-reduction targets, to avoid making economic matters worse. Even in abandoning those targets, they indicated that France was unlikely to recover soon from its long period of stagnation or quickly reduce its unemployment rate, which exceeds 10 percent.

“The diagnosis is clear,” Mr. Hollande said in an interview published Wednesday in the French daily Le Monde. “Due to the austerity policies of the last several years, there is a problem of demand throughout Europe, and a growth rate that is not reducing employment.”....

Last edited:
It's happening regardless. Dysfunctional government is causing the middle class to shrink. The whole ****ing lot is to blame. Really starting to not like being here.

[video=youtube;fj9Ei7FGQgg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj9Ei7FGQgg&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Back