• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Jonathan Swan @jonathanvswan
6m
A WH official just texted me this quote with this image: @PressSec: "the chief of staff actually spoke to a number of staff this morning reassuring them that there were personal changes but not immediate personnel changes at this time but people shouldn't be concerned."

DYbr_MeX4AAcXRj.jpg:large

Stephanie Mencimer @smencimer
Trump’s new International Wildlife Conservation Council is dominated by group who’s most famous member killed Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe motherjones.com/politics/2018/…

you're the only poster here who gets noticeably excited about the prospect of seoul being destroyed...

Excited? Hardly.

I don't think it will be a cheap and easy war, I think it will be a hard and costly war. But the longer we wait the more costly it's going to get, so if it's going to be done, do it now.

No, i'm not excited about it. But I do love to mock those who go on day after day thinking that the chaos in the white house, or the Russia investigation, or athletes kneeling are the most important issues of the day, and that war with North Korea is so unimaginable that it cannot ever possibly happen. I will love to watch as that worldview is shattered into a million little pieces and the West finds that it needs to grow up again, fast.

Excited? Hardly.

I don't think it will be a cheap and easy war, I think it will be a hard and costly war. But the longer we wait the more costly it's going to get, so if it's going to be done, do it now.

No, i'm not excited about it. But I do love to mock those who go on day after day thinking that the chaos in the white house, or the Russia investigation, or athletes kneeling are the most important issues of the day, and that war with North Korea is so unimaginable that it cannot ever possibly happen. I will love to watch as that worldview is shattered into a million little pieces and the West finds that it needs to grow up again, fast.

would love to see this kind of ******* flippance if it was your home getting destroyed.

idiot.

would love to see this kind of ******* flippance if it was your home getting destroyed.

idiot.
My home? I guess not.

My life? Well, depending on how Canada decides to react, I could well be over there and dead.

What do you have on the line buddy?

would love to see you give up your life, to be honest.
Fixed your post.

Seriously, what do you have on the line to judge how flippant I can be? The global economy going belly up? Going to hurt your pocketbook? Boo hoo Zeke?

What the **** is wrong with your country, Habsy?

https://boingboing.net/2018/03/16/three-teens-get-corporal-punis.html

Greenbrier Public School in rural Arkansas didn't take too kindly to the national school walkout that took place on Tuesday to protest gun violence in response to last month's deadly Parkland shooting. In fact, when three students decided to go against the grain of their very conservative school and community and walk out, they were met with a tough choice: suspension or corporal punishment.

They chose corporal punishment, and each received two swats by paddle.

One of the boys' mothers posted this tweet about it:

Jerusalem Greer
@JerusalemGreer
My kid and two other students walked out of their rural, very conservative, public school for 17 minutes today. They were given two punishment options. They chose corporal punishment. This generation is not playing around. #walkout

The mother's son, Wylie Greer (one of the students who received the swats) gave this statement to the Daily Beast:

Walking out of class at ten on Monday morning was not an easy thing. Many students were vocally insulting and degrading to the idea of the walk-out and anyone who would participate. At 10:00, I walked out of my classroom to a few gaped mouths and more than a few scowls. I exited the building, sat on the bench, and was alone for a few seconds. I was more than a little concerned that I would be the only one to walk out. I was joined by two others eventually, two of the smartest students at the school. We sat outside the front of the building and were approached first by the principal, who asked us “if he could help us” and “if we understood that there would be consequences.” After we answered affirmatively, he went back inside. A few minutes passed and the dean-of-students approached us. He asked “what we were doing,” we told him that we were protesting gun violence. He told us to go inside. We refused.

After the 17 minutes had passed, we re-entered the building and went to our classes. Over the next two hours, all three of us were called individually to talk with the dean-of-students. He offered us two choices of punishment, both of which had to be approved by our parents. We would either suffer two ‘swats’ from a paddle or two days of in-school suspension. All three of us chose the paddling, with the support of our parents.

I received my punishment during 6th period. The dean-of-students carried it out while the assistant principal witnessed. The punishment was not dealt with malice or cruelty, in fact, I have the utmost respect for all the adults involved. They were merely doing their job as the school board and school policy dictated. The ‘swats’ were not painful or injuring. It was nothing more than a temporary sting on my thighs. The dean-of-students did stress however that not all punishments like this ended this way.

I believe that corporal punishment has no place in schools, even if it wasn’t painful to me. The idea that violence should be used against someone who was protesting violence as a means to discipline them is appalling. I hope that this is changed, in Greenbrier, and across the country.

Wylie A. Greer

Class of 2018

Greenbrier High School, Arkansas

While corporal punishment is banned in 28 states, it is still expressly permitted in 15 states (and somewhere in the middle for 7 states), according to NPR in 2016, and Arkansas is obviously one who permits it wholeheartedly. When the Daily Beast tried to reach out to Greenbrier Public School, the assistant principal hung up on them.

Fixed your post.

Seriously, what do you have on the line to judge how flippant I can be? The global economy going belly up? Going to hurt your pocketbook? Boo hoo Zeke?

I'm not getting involved in this slap fight, but I did want to make one comment. It's amazing that you still can't make the connection between economics and human well being. When the global economy goes "belly up" and hurts our "pocketbooks", suicide rates skyrocket, access to services that the most marginalized among western citizens need to maintain a healthy quality of life becomes restricted, and people in developing nations that depend on trade with the west to survive, ****ing starve.

and you treat it like it's nothing on a regular basis whenever talk of maximizing economic development comes up.

I'm not getting involved in this slap fight, but I did want to make one comment. It's amazing that you still can't make the connection between economics and human well being. When the global economy goes "belly up" and hurts our "pocketbooks", suicide rates skyrocket, access to services that the most marginalized among western citizens need to maintain a healthy quality of life becomes restricted, and people in developing nations that depend on trade with the west to survive, ****ing starve.

and you treat it like it's nothing on a regular basis whenever talk of maximizing economic development comes up.

Because economic growth is not the end all people make it out to be.

Hell, is can be argued that the Chinese model makes for the most efficient economy, with it being the second largest in the world and growing around 6 percent a year.

Would you trade how we do things in the west for that authocratic system if it leads to trippling our economic growth? No, you wouldn't.

And while the second Korean war is going on, I'm sure the most pressing issues will be the suicide rates skyrocketing, access to services that the most marginalized among western citizens need to maintain a healthy quality of life becoming restricted, and people in developing nations that depend on trade with the west to survive, ****ing starving.

Would much rather deal with actually being in Korea, dodged a bullet there. Korean civilians too, lucky bunch, only need to dodge bombs, bullets missiles and nukes.

The most viable solution is China orchestrated regime change.

War was off the table ages ago. SK is too rich and commercially important, cost is too high.

The most viable solution is China orchestrated regime change.

War was off the table ages ago. SK is too rich and commercially important, cost is too high.

This right here is what I will be laughing morbidly at.

War is off the table... For you. There are many in the administration who feel like its on the table, and North Korean don't give a ****. That's all that is needed.

Why would there be a war, apart from John Bolton being stupid?

One side wants nuclear weapons, the other says categorically that it will not allow them to get them, if the latter does nothing the former will get them, the only way for the latter to stop the former is by using military action.

Don't act like this hasn't happened before, where one nation tries to impose terms that the other finds unacceptable and the only result being war. Franco -prussian war of 1870 is a good example.

Or the French entry into WW1 due to unacceptable German demands that france allow German troops occupy French forts for the duration of germanys war with Russia.

Sometimes, two nations cannot solve their differences diplomaticaly.

Back