Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: EPL Thread for 2011-2012 Season

Default Re: EPL Thread for 2011-2012 Season

I won't be able to see the end of the match, but what a start for Wigan vs. Arsenal at the Emirates

Arsenal 0-2 Wigan

Goals by di Santo (7') and Jordi Gomez (8'), the first in 16 games for di Santo and in 14 games for Gomez. WOW!
    Hockey (particularly NHL) and "football" (soccer, particularly EPL) enthusiast.

Yup ... and I've watched several Wigan matches where those two didn't even look interested in attacking, much less actually shooting the ball and scoring. Their form over the last couple of weeks has come from absolute nowhere. Unlike Villa, they're actually playing like they don't want to be relegated.

It was interesting to hear Gary Neville talk about Wigans 3-4-3 formation on how few times he played against it in his carear.

I think the formation maybe one of the reasons for Wigans recent success, its befuddling the other team.

Quote Originally Posted by davemess View Post
    It was interesting to hear Gary Neville talk about Wigans 3-4-3 formation on how few times he played against it in his carear.

I think the formation maybe one of the reasons for Wigans recent success, its befuddling the other team.
    Hmph ... pretty common formation for Serie A squads. Of course, that lot give EPL sides fits in European competitions.

Maybe Villa should abandon that God-awful 5-4-1 or whatever the hell they've been playing for the last month and go with LESS defenders. Oh. Forgot for a minute that they have no wingers at ALL anymore. It's depressing that they went from Young and Downing on the wings (with Milner and Agbonlahor if needed) to Gabby trying to play three positions at once with next to no help.
    Last edited by jeffbear; 04-17-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Wigan has now beat, in recent weeks, Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal, and were jobbed in their game vs. Chelsea. In fact, since acquiring Jean Beausejour in January they've only really struggled in the first match with him, getting their heads handed to them by Spurs.
    You're right about their befuddling formation. I thought Liverpool had good success last year when Kenny moved them (for a time) to a 3-5-2 formation. I'd like to see them try it again next year, using Agger in midfield with Lucas and Gerrard. Of course, more consistency from Downing and whatever other winger they throw out there (Bellamy? Kuyt? A youngster like Raheem Sterling, I hope?) would help.

And again ... the results bear out my point. Wigan is playing like a team that's desperate to avoid relegation. Villa on the other hand is playing like a team that actually wouldn't mind getting sent down for the first time in club history. Disgusting.

QPR 1-0 Tottenham
    Bolton 1-1 Swansea
    Blackburn 2-0 Norwich
    Aston Villa 0-0 Sunderland
    Fulham 2-1 Wigan
    Newcastle 3-0 Stoke

After all the fluffy talk about Wigan, they go and tank one to Fulham. Not that winning in Craven Cottage is ever easy, but I was expecting more.

As for Spurs, they are waving a fast goodbye to fourth, aren't they? Not the most powerful of shots by Taarabt, but it went in.

The more i look at the top of the table the more i hope Newcastle can do it, but i look at their schedule.....

@ Wigan
    @ Chelsea
    vs Man City
    @ Everton

and think maybe not.

3rd Liner

Breathtaking collapse of a promising season for Spurs.

Man Utd 4-4 Everton

Everton scored twice in the last 10 minutes to reignite the Championship Race.

In the remaining match that mattered

Wolves 0-2 Manchester City

Goals by Sergio Aguero and Sami Nasri do two things

1) Pulls City to within three points of United at the top with the game at Eastlands upcoming
    2) Relegates Wolves

Meantime, at Anfield

Liverpool 0-1 West Brom (Odemwingie 75')

Well played, Reds! THAT was another AWFUL home performance, with wasted chance after wasted chance. Meantime, a Glen Johnson error gifts the Baggies their goal after Pepe Reina made two great stops in the first half to keep the Reds in the match.

Bet Roy Hodgson is feeling just a little smug after that result today.... and rightly so.

Cant say that I am all that sad to see Wolves go, they really blew it with their Manager situation.

Roy Hodgson was the wrong manager for our team. The team he had wasn't suited to the style he wants to play. Good manager, but he does better getting smaller-revenue clubs to overachieve. Happy for him but the Reds would not be doing better under his guidance.

Yeah ... Hodgson is irrelevant to Liverpool's current problems. Their summer signings are a bigger issue, as is the albatross that is Andy Carroll. They just aren't a very good side right now. Period. It's a shame because I really like a few of the guys they brought in ... Downing aside ... but their overall quality just isn't a lot better than their position at the moment, IMO.

Unlike my guys at Aston Villa, who could be at least 10 points better off if their manager had actually tried to win some bloody games back in the first half of the season when the guys were healthy ... as opposed to playing for 38 bloody draws. They did it again over the weekend. Despite showing a lot more life on the ball and defending with more cohesion, they still played poor Weimann as a lone attacker and hoped he could pounce on a mistake ... I guess. No service to speak of, few chances and it was clear they would be happy with the draw right from the first minute.

Villa are pretty crippled by injuries at the moment arent they? I think the lose of Darren Bent and his goals really limited Villa in the 2nd half of the year.

There just isnt a lot of goals in that side.

Yes, but even when there were goals in the side, he was playing super defensively and leaving Bent alone on an island up front often with Heskey playing left midfield rather than a more creative player because Heskey provided more defensive cover and size. There was never a plan of attack, just a plan of defense. Last season had it's issues, but at least there were clear plans of attack from the wings with Downing and Albrighton. Albrighton has lost pretty much all confidence after MacLeish rarely played him after a nice debut season last year. He keeps playing Bannan on the wing where he doesn't have nearly the effect he has in the middle as he's not a speedy player and his best quality is his ability to control the game with his passing because he wants bigger guys clogging up the middle. This team doesn't have the talent to be challenging for Europe, but they definitely have the talent to play much more exciting football and score some goals.

Quote Originally Posted by davemess View Post
    Villa are pretty crippled by injuries at the moment arent they? I think the lose of Darren Bent and his goals really limited Villa in the 2nd half of the year.

There just isnt a lot of goals in that side.
    Echoing what VDC said. Right now, there aren't a lot of goals in the side. But back when Bent and Petrov were healthy, there were some goals to be had except for the fact that the manager didn't seem interested in the least in actually seeing them scored. This team has been negative to the extreme since game 1. They had a schedule set up for a fast start right from opening weekend, and were vastly more interested in the single point rather than all three on offer. This season has been a complete and utter shambles at Villa Park.

It is especially worth noting that a team playing like Villa has this season MUST be detail oriented in order to succeed, yet MacLeish has managed to field a side so inept that they've led the league in goals allowed off of set pieces all season ... by a mile, last I checked. That's sign one of the epic failure of this club, at least in my book. Add in all the fullbacks playing in midfield, the center backs doing likewise and Hesky playing at ALL while you have more creative players languishing on the subs bench ... and you're just looking at a season long joke.
    Last edited by jeffbear; 04-23-2012 at 01:06 PM.

And don't get me started on his new toy of playing five men at the back. If he's back next season, I'm out. Let's see if I can find a Swansea kit on ebay.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast