Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Down On The Farm

Canes Moderator

Default Re: Down On The Farm

Cherkers beat Rockford in the shootout 4-3. Houston leads San Antonio late in the 3rd, Milwaukee won at Chicago.

ETA: Houston held off San Antonio 4-3.
    Last edited by andyt; 04-14-2012 at 11:08 PM.

It's coming down to the wire for the Checkers. Let's hope they can close better than the Canes.
    #bringbackourgirls

From gocheckers.com...

Heading into that final game, the Checkers only need to hold off ninth-place Houston to qualify for the playoffs. To do so, they would need to take a single point against the Admirals (4 p.m. eastern) or hope that Houston loses its game against Texas (6 p.m.)

Canes Moderator

Depending on what San Antonio does in their game at home against West leading Oklahoma City, a win moves the Checkers into 5th. Rochester is 5th now with 86 points and their season is over. Milwaukee, San Antonio and Charlotte are 6-8 at 85 points. So a Cherkers win gives them 87 points. If San Antonio wins too, the Cherkers would move up to 6th.

I'd REALLY like to see this team in the playoffs. Especially if they play in Raleigh.

would they play in Raleigh? That would be great.

Canes Moderator

Alas, there is no joy in Mudville. The Cherkers lost to Milwaukee 6-1, giving up 4 in the 3rd. The Aeros beat Texas 2-1 so the Cherkers miss the playoffs by 1 point.

Just like the Canes, the Cherckers can't win when everything is on the line.

Is this the end for Daniels?

Canes Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
    Just like the Canes, the Cherckers can't win when everything is on the line.

I don't think they'll dump Daniels. But you never know.

They were doomed by the failed homestand that stradled Easter. The lost 2 to Milwaukee and 2 to Abbotsford and were outscored 18-4.

Wow, what a horrible way to end the season. Coming up small when a trip to the playoffs are on the line really sucks.

3rd Liner

Agree with AndyT, but you have to wonder.

Rationale they can use to dump:

1. Did not get it done after leading all year
    2. Performance of players once called up was not consistent with expectations.
    3. Possibly went against mgmt direction by not playing Dumoulin (rationale was probably that the team was on a winning streak and no obvious guys to sit given performance or injuries).
    4. Does not fit future after being passed over for Muller.

Rationale to keep:
    1. Team stayed in it despite tons of injuries--especially injuries to their most physical energy players (Soryal, Blanchard) at bad times.
    2. Missed playoffs by only 1 point after 2 seasons of making it (and exceeding expectations both year).
    3. First year in new conference with new opponents and travel schedule.
    4. Other coaches (Mo, Muller) have had similar results with same players.

If it were me, I'd keep him, but they really need to figure out the roster for next year--and that is something that Daniels and JR/Francis need to work together. They could be very young again with some combination guys like Dumoulin, Murphy, Levi, Rask, Welsh, Hoffman, etc (whoever does not make Canes or play in Europe) added to the roster and still a need for some experienced AHL veterans to balance the roster. The three "vets" this year ranged from disappointing (Durno), to average (Roy), to great fit role guy (Soryal) until hurt.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Daniels replaced. He's taking on a full blown Mo junior appearance as a coach. And that ship has sailed once and for all with this organization.

Canes Moderator

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Daniels replaced. He's taking on a full blown Mo junior appearance as a coach. And that ship has sailed once and for all with this organization.
    I don't know about Mo Jr. but Daniels may leave of his own volition because the ship did sail. Unless he wants to wait around for Muller to be fired, he's never going to be head coach of the Canes. I don't think JR/PK/Cherkers owner would stand in his way if he wanted to leave.

I'm thinking that Daniels might get the heave ho in Charlotte. Muller's running a different system than Mo did and they ahve to make a judgement as to whether or not Jake is getting it into the kids' heads down in the A. I haven't been particularly impressed with how ready our prospects look when they've been called up over the last two seasons. It's nice that he competes with a true development squad. I get that, but Job One is to develop players and I just don't see it.

Canes Moderator

Here is a player by player assesment by Paul Branecky on the Cherkers roster situation for next season with contract status and possible newcomers.

http://www.gocheckers.com/news/more/...article_id=985

3rd Liner

Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    Here is a player by player assesment by Paul Branecky on the Cherkers roster situation for next season with contract status and possible newcomers.

http://www.gocheckers.com/news/more/...article_id=985
    This just highlights how much change is coming for both rosters, in all likelihood. Branecky does not even list Welsh.

But statements about Bowman, Boychuk, etc having to clear waivers to go up and down just says there is no room at the inn--both here and in Charlotte.

Will be interesting to see the maneuvering that JR does in the coming weeks and months (at the draft, etc.). We got too many of the same parts both in Raleigh and Charlotte and limited room for change unless guys get moved.

Canes Moderator

Paul Branecky and radio voice Jason Shaya give their year end awards. This from Shaya, asked to name Best Forward, captures the problem, both in Charlotte and with the players recalled to the Canes.

I can’t answer this question in good conscience. The fact is, the team that was stacked with offensively gifted players had an extraordinarily difficult time scoring goals at even strength. There isn’t a single forward with the exceptions of Chris Terry and Zac Dalpe that deserve consideration, and I think those two deserve a lot of credit for trying very hard to turn the ship in the right direction. There simply wasn’t a “best” forward - the team only had “forwards”.
    http://gocheckers.com/news/more/inde...article_id=987

That's gonna come back on the coach....and many still say they traded their best forward, Motsumoto.

2nd Liner

Yeah. Could it be that JD is just MO Lite? JR might need to get Muller Lite down there in the Queen City.

Quote Originally Posted by JFG View Post
    Yeah. Could it be that JD is just MO Lite? JR might need to get Muller Lite down there in the Queen City.
    To me Daniels isn't a clone of Mo ... but he's not done a good job getting our forwards ready for NHL callups over the last two seasons. I'd like to see a shift down in Charlotte. Since the big club is transitioning from a full time goalie coach to a part time guy, and since Barrasso wants to be a head coach one day ... I wouldn't mind seeing Carolina offer the job to Tom. Charlotte is a heck of a lot better city than a lot of AHL stops, and it would be a good way for him to cut his coaching teeth. Plus, Francis is down there a lot and he'd be happy with that.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast