• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Tennis anyone?

XPOFAN

Now that he is back from injury and has won another tournament, what is your take on this young player now? Does he crack the top 20...maybe even the top 10?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: OT: Milos Raonic - What's your take Krusty

Top 20 is definitely possible. Top 10? Maybe. Still think he is not ready to win seven matches in one tournament (required to win a Slam), even on a hard court.

He won his second round match at the Australian Open. He plays either Roddick or Hewitt in the third round.

He lost to Roddick in an ATP Finals match last year the week after he won his 1st tourny. The match was close because of Raonic's serve and even Roddick said Milos had a big future in front of him. His game has improved since then... but yeah, on the grand stage he will be in tough against either Roddick or the hometown boy, Hewitt. After that I think the winner takes on #1 seed, Djokovic if I am not mistaken??

I haven't followed tennis in recent years but have started to pick it up since Milos came about and IMO he is a couple of years away from the top 10. He is young enough to make it but the good players have way more success in returning his serve so he'll need to drastically improve the rest of his game.

ESPN did a poll on the top young'en to watch for and Milos was right there in the thick of a group of 3.

Still... it is fun to watch a Canadian do well in tennis... even if he sounds like he is from Serbia or something.

He lost to Roddick in an ATP Finals match last year the week after he won his 1st tourny. The match was close because of Raonic's serve and even Roddick said Milos had a big future in front of him. His game has improved since then... but yeah, on the grand stage he will be in tough against either Roddick or the hometown boy, Hewitt. After that I think the winner takes on #1 seed, Djokovic if I am not mistaken??

I haven't followed tennis in recent years but have started to pick it up since Milos came about and IMO he is a couple of years away from the top 10. He is young enough to make it but the good players have way more success in returning his serve so he'll need to drastically improve the rest of his game.

ESPN did a poll on the top young'en to watch for and Milos was right there in the thick of a group of 3.

Still... it is fun to watch a Canadian do well in tennis... even if he sounds like he is from Serbia or something.

Australia's best player, Tomic, is also an "import." It's like back in the days when Canada's best track athletes were Jamaicans.

Re: OT: Milos Raonic - What's your take Krusty?

He grew up in Thornhill so he's hardly an import...

We exported Montrealer Greg Rusedski to the UK so all is fair.

Canada also routinely loses their best soccer players to other countries as well

Can't argue with that when our rich tennis history includes Michibata, Connell and Nestor. It's great to have a high end singles player for the first time...

Can't argue with that when our rich tennis history includes Michibata, Connell and Nestor. It's great to have a high end singles player for the first time...

You forgot Darling Carling Bassett. Nestor has been a very good doubles player for a long time. Just hope that Milos does better as his doping tests than some of our "Jamaican" track stars, one in particular.

By the way, Raonic will play Hewitt next. Roddick retired due to a hamstring injury down two sets to one to Hewitt.

Last edited:

After that I think the winner takes on #1 seed, Djokovic if I am not mistaken??

Yep, if Raonic beats Hewitt, barring an unforeseen miracle, he'll face Djokovic in the round of 16.

His Australian Open will end next match if it's Roddick.

Roddick is pretty much washed up. What a waste of skill. Then again, not really his fault he came up at a time when arguably the two greatest male tennis players of all time were at their peak.

You forgot Darling Carling Bassett. Nestor has been a very good doubles player for a long time. Just hope that Milos does better as his doping tests than some of our "Jamaican" track stars, one in particular.

that Jamaican was the patsy and the gold medal was awarded to a guy who had failed a test earlier in 1988 that was covered up by US Track and who despite having ripped Johnson constantly back then, won't talk about his failed test due to it "being in the past"

Is it fair to say that Bassett's success... even though it wasn't much... is the epitome of what having a rich father can do for you? "Daddy I'm bored and I want to play tennis. Can you get me a coach?"

Roddick is pretty much washed up. What a waste of skill. Then again, not really his fault he came up at a time when arguably the two greatest male tennis players of all time were at their peak.

At least Roddick has done well in the dating dept and his wife is not too shabby.

Milos is in tough with Hewitt. The whole crowd will be against him even though they do like him from last year's run.

Is it fair to say that Bassett's success... even though it wasn't much... is the epitome of what having a rich father can do for you? "Daddy I'm bored and I want to play tennis. Can you get me a coach?"

Well the 1% do live a different life.

Back