Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: GDT- Suicide Watch Continues- Leafs @ Habs, 7pm, HNIC CBC

Default Re: GDT- Suicide Watch Continues- Leafs @ Habs, 7pm, HNIC CBC

Quote Originally Posted by hockeylover View Post
    Can we see a list of the "good" Ontario players Burke has passed over? Carter and Richards are the ones that stand out to me, and the same people bitching are the ones who had issues with the drinking or called them overrated.
    ...and even then, Burke (apparently) didn't pass on Richards, only Carter.
    Last edited by Montana; 03-05-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by axlsalinger View Post
    Sigh. This is really a rather simple concept, that some people still don't understand after pages of dialogue on the subject. I give up.

There's no concept......you've jumped on a ridiculous position, that doesn't hold any merit. That's why you're giving up.

Quote Originally Posted by axlsalinger View Post
    Sigh. This is really a rather simple concept, that some people still don't understand after pages of dialogue on the subject. I give up.
    Pages and pages of dialogue in which I've done everything I can to back up my position and you've done really nothing but say "FOUR YEARS AND NO ONTARIO PLAYERS! WEIRD EH???"

Of course Mike Richards shouldn't count, he should be lumped into Manitoba with the Staals.

...also, I don't see why Burke should be shit on for using his "extra 2%" to bring in American born players.

Should Burke have ignored the Kessel/Phaneuf/Lupul/Gardiner/Franson trades because the teams wouldn't sub an Ontario-born NHLer into the deal? Including "60-pt" Stajan in a deal for an Alberta-born defender should've been a deal-breaker..
    Last edited by BG; 03-05-2012 at 03:37 PM.
    BG

Kenora is closer to Calgary than it is to Toronto.

This is beyond retarded. That Ducks team that won the Cup had at least 6 or 7 Ontario-born players. What, now all of a sudden he cares where players come from?

And just to add 1 more thing - there's NOTHING WRONG with Burke, who's an American, to play the American angle.

Quinn played the Canadian Olympics angle, and a lot of players wanted to play for Quinn in Toronto after winning the Gold medal with him. Peca was on who publicly said he'd like to play for Quinn any day of the week (and ultimately played in Toronto).

It would be STUPID for Burke to brush the Americans off. Burke is a pretty big name when it comes to the American hockey circle. His underdog team won the Silver medal at the last Olympics, far exceeding everyone's expectation (another proof Wilson is NOT a bad coach). Kessel held out and demanded a trade to Toronto (does Cherry even remembers that??? Here's a NHL top 5 scorer who actually WANTS to play for Toronto). You think any of those American Olympians wouldn't put Toronto on their list because of Burke?

At the end of the day, if you have a problem getting motivated to win games because you are not playing in the hometown, there're bigger problems than simply moving you to your hometown team can fix.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeylover View Post
    I'm perplexed why LeafofFaith has been the only one in like a decade of posting here who expressed any real care over where players are from and was made fun of if a whole bunch of posters feel this way.
    Me too.

I love it when HL talks some sense into me. good stuff.
    #TeamReimer

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    There's no concept......you've jumped on a ridiculous position, that doesn't hold any merit. That's why you're giving up.
    It's a very, very simple concept.

If Burke himself says (as he did in the McLean interview), and most of us accept as fact, that Ontario-born players on visiting teams play harder against us because of friends and family in the crowd, then it stands to reason that if we had a bunch of Ontario-born players on our team, we'd counteract that advantage or even gain an advantage on other teams with fewer Ontario-born players than us.

What's so tough to get about that?

Quote Originally Posted by LeafOfFaith View Post

If Burke himself says (as he did in the McLean interview), and most of us accept as fact, that Ontario-born players on visiting teams play harder against us because of friends and family in the crowd, then it stands to reason that if we had a bunch of Ontario-born players on our team, we'd counteract that advantage or even gain an advantage on other teams with fewer Ontario-born players than us.

I think there's a flaw in that argument anyway (the obvious difference between a player coming home to play every once in a while vs a player playing there 41 times a year)......but it really has no impact on what's being discussed here anyway. Unless you believe Burke is intentionally overlooking/avoiding Ontario born players. (which recent drafts demonstrate to be clearly false)

It's a simple statistical anomaly, that in the grand scheme of things is completely irrelevant.

Richmond Hill, Ontario.

How did that one work out for us?

Quite frankly I plan on writing the Toronto Star about the lack of ethnic minority representation on this roster. Think Richard Griffin or Bob Elliot would write an article on that?

I can already envision the title: The Blue and WHITES.

It's about pressure imo. You can play for a team like the Panthers and just have none of that..No wonder you'll always play well against the Leafs. Would the same be true if he was playing for us?..It'd be a lot harder imo and i truly believe some players don't want to be here for that exact reason.

Quote Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post

Richmond Hill, Ontario.

How did that one work out for us?
    It's arguments like these that make not engaging in this debate worthwhile.

Did anyone ever argue that every Ontario-born player on the team is going to work out or be a star?

Yes.

In his career, Toronto-born Glen Metropolit scored 159 points in 407 games for a 25 point pace.

In games against the Leafs, Metropolit doubled that production scoring at a 51 point pace.

If the Leafs had Glen Metropolit, do you actually think he'd increase his production or do you think he'd still be limited by the fact that, you know, he's Glen Metropolit and couldn't possibly sustain that overachieving pace?

Jamal Mayers...he did get us Phaneuf. We all want a Gary Roberts type on the team, but I doubt Burke's been offered one outside of Carter/Richards during his tenure.

It's arguments like these that make not engaging in this debate worthwhile.

Did anyone ever argue that every Ontario-born player on the team is going to work out or be a star?
    Isn't the crux of your argument that players born in Ontario, will play better here than they have elsewhere?

Scarborough, Ontario.

First ballot Hall of Famer who had two of the worst seasons of his career in Toronto and was booed out of his town into two additional Stanley Cup wins.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast