• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Food & Drink Thread - Where to Go, What to Eat, etc.

BURG

Mod Squad
Recently, posters have been talking about food; steak in particular. Posters have mentioned where to go to eat, what cut of steak is best, how they prefer it cooked and why, etc. There have been other threads containing posts that dealt with different foods and places to eat. So with that said, I started this "Food Thread". I moved posts and copied posts from other threads into this one.

A few of the first posts will be copied from other threads and unedited so the continuity may be off. I will post exactly what I posted above at the end of the posts that were moved or copied here.

Anyway, if you want to talk about foods or places to eat, this is the thread for it.

Bon Appetit.

Last edited:
Re: What To Do In Montreal?

As most of you already know, we are coming to Montreal for the Habs/Pens game on Jan 12th which is next Wednesday. We'll be getting into town on Tuesday (Jan 11th) evening. I'm not sure if we'll be up for doing a whole lot that night but you never know. Then we'll be leaving on the morning of the 13th to head back to Manitoba.

So the question is. If you had one evening and one day in Montreal what would you suggest doing/seeing.

We are obviously going to see the Habs on the second evening so that's the biggest thing.

Just looking for something to do on Wednesday during the day and possibly Tuesday after we arrive and check in at the hotel.

Go to St. Viateur Bagel and eat a bagel hot out of the oven, with nothing on it. They are open 24/7 so go whenever.

There is a club called 281 that you could go to if you're bored at night. I've never been there myself but you might like it.

LMAO!!!!!!!

I know you said you were changing your eating habits but you must try to get reservations at Au Pied Cochon!!!! Its is a temple to over the top fatty foods.... Poutine with foie gras is a must have

La Banquise for poutine.....over 20 different types of poutine....try it....peak hour is 3-4 am ;)

As for my suggestions, Montreal is a city of simple pleasure. In the evening, food and drinks is always a good option. Plenty of good restaurants to choose from and then try few different places for drinks. Walk as much as possible, that's the best way to appreciate the city. During the day, since you have only one, I would wander in the Old Montreal and try to make it to the Belvedere on the Mount Royal for great view of the city and the surrounding.

Sampling poutine, smoked meat, bagels and shish taouk should always be high on the list as well.

I'd recommend 281 if you want to get Crosby's autograph after the game :)

My yinzer friends wanted to get poutine and bagels above everything else (they're vegan so they screwed themselves out of a smoked meat sandwich). If you want some post game brews (celebratory for yourself hopefully) I'd recommend Crescent below Ste Catherine which isn't too far from your hotel, Brutopia and Hurley's are my favourites around there.

Holt here has a women department and cosmetics....but most women go to Ogilvy for their hardcore shopping needs....most women I see at Holts are there with their husbands....most women I see at Ogilvy are there alone...

Either way, HP, don't go to these stores.....save your money for the restaurants

Tiffany's is in Holts ..his budget vacation might get out of control

Habs, where did you decide to go for dinner? Let me know what kind of food you are into (steak/ital/french etc..) and I'll tell you a good choice..

Schwartzs , the smoked meat is very good, a bit more dry than some peopple are used to, but very flavorful ..But are you renting a car or just taxing around?

If you like Indian food, try out Bombay Mahal on 1001 Jean Talon West.... great place! not the nicest looking, but the food is excellent!

you can't visit Montreal without getting some Lebanese grub...hit a little joint just around the corner from Concordia for a $2 falafel sandwich...

LMAO!!!!!!!

I know you said you were changing your eating habits but you must try to get reservations at Au Pied Cochon!!!! Its is a temple to over the top fatty foods.... Poutine with foie gras is a must have

Martin Picard is the chef, he's always on the food network, he has crazy talent and Foie gras is his speaciality and anyone living or going to Montreal should go there atleast once

A place called Panama is not bad if you're looking for a Greek restaurant. It's on Jean Talon.

There is a marthon right off Decarie, which is about 5-10 minutes from Westmount. Closer than Laval ..but definitely not a must eat here. Definitely stay away from the undercooked schwarma type food in Mtl, unless you want the runs.
There are many good restos in little italy for you to try, but if you're near westmount and want some good sushi there's Kaizen
In old montreal, Galiano's, Da Emma are decent ..
If you plan on going out at night, like on crescent, you can't go wrong with Weinstein's and Gavinos, it's decent and in a great location if you want to grab a drink on crescent.

Like I said... we will do the hot bagel (probably on Tuesday evening after we get into town. We'll do Schwartz's for lunch on Wednesday afternoon. That leaves dinner before the game on Wednesday open. I think that's when we'll go for Greek or Italian.

I'd also like to squeeze in a felafel.

So if you're doing something before the game, I'd stick to the downtown area for dinner. There's a Keg near the bell center, it's not bad, it's in a good location. There's Da Vinci (expensive, a lot of seafood in their dishes), Weinstein's (good for younger people, more americanized italian dishes). La Medusa (overall good, a bit smaller ). Cavalli (if you like the italian businessman vibe, $$$$)..

Back