• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Food & Drink Thread - Where to Go, What to Eat, etc.

Magnan Tavern closing doors in December

Montreal will lose another dining institution in December.

Restaurant Magnan Taverne, a fixture in Point St-Charles for decades and the go-to place for roast beef, has announced they will shut their doors before the end of the year.

The restaurant, originally a male-only tavern, has been in business for 82 years and always with a Magnan family member. Women were permitted to dine there in the 1980s, originally only downstairs but eventually on the main floor as well.

Located in a former working-class district and catering to employees of the many factories around the Lachine Canal, the area around the Taverne has been gentrified in recent years with fancy condos and other improvements.

In a press release, the owners say that despite efforts to modernize and keep up, the restaurant has been steadily losing business for the past 10 years.

The constant highway and bridge construction in Montreal was also cited by the owners, stating that their loyal South Shore clients now need an hour to reach the restaurant, a distance of 8 km that used to take 10 minutes and has discouraged many from bothering to make the trip.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/busi...nan+Tavern+close+December/10270195/story.html

When I used to be a cook, eating after 10PM was basically a guarantee. A lot of late nights, a lot of shit meals right before going to sleep. The good ol' days.

Magnan Tavern closing doors in December

Montreal will lose another dining institution in December.

Restaurant Magnan Taverne, a fixture in Point St-Charles for decades and the go-to place for roast beef, has announced they will shut their doors before the end of the year.

The restaurant, originally a male-only tavern, has been in business for 82 years and always with a Magnan family member. Women were permitted to dine there in the 1980s, originally only downstairs but eventually on the main floor as well.

Located in a former working-class district and catering to employees of the many factories around the Lachine Canal, the area around the Taverne has been gentrified in recent years with fancy condos and other improvements.

In a press release, the owners say that despite efforts to modernize and keep up, the restaurant has been steadily losing business for the past 10 years.

The constant highway and bridge construction in Montreal was also cited by the owners, stating that their loyal South Shore clients now need an hour to reach the restaurant, a distance of 8 km that used to take 10 minutes and has discouraged many from bothering to make the trip.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/busi...nan+Tavern+close+December/10270195/story.html

Wow. That's one of my uncles' favorite places. I went there once, but I was unimpressed.

My brother wanted to take the ribeye steak because there was a bone for the dog (seriously, that was his reasoning) but it was for two people, so I decided to share with him. I tried convincing him to take the horse for two because there was a bone included as well, but he wouldn't bite. It was really good. My mother & aunt shared a lobster sausage. I'm not a fan of lobster, but I tried a bit of it and it was great. I sort of wish my mom or aunt had taken the rabbit or the lamb just so I could have tried a piece.

The two entrées we took were superb as well. One was a foie gras paté on toast with a quail egg, was good. The other one, I don't remember what it was called, but it was another kind of paté and it was great too.

Overall, it was well worth the wait. The atmosphere was great too.

My brother wanted to take the ribeye steak because there was a bone for the dog (seriously, that was his reasoning) but it was for two people, so I decided to share with him. I tried convincing him to take the horse for two because there was a bone included as well, but he wouldn't bite. It was really good. My mother & aunt shared a lobster sausage. I'm not a fan of lobster, but I tried a bit of it and it was great. I sort of wish my mom or aunt had taken the rabbit or the lamb just so I could have tried a piece.

The two entrées we took were superb as well. One was a foie gras paté on toast with a quail egg, was good. The other one, I don't remember what it was called, but it was another kind of paté and it was great too.

Overall, it was well worth the wait. The atmosphere was great too.

Man, you should have gone for the rabbit, it was the most amazing thing I've ever tasted.

And yeah, I love the atmosphere, they keep it warm, casual and friendly, it's a fun place to eat at.

I tried rabbit once (10+ years ago) and it was good, but I got tired of eating 3-4 bites in. Sort of like lamb. Lamb is awesome for 3 or 4 bites, but after that, I'm just tired of eating it.

But oh well, just an excuse to go back next year. :)

Yeah but you haven't try THAT rabbit. It was like nothing else I ever had, and I had rabbit before.

Actually the very specific meal I'm talking about is the lièvre royale.

Bump.

I went to a Japanese place called Kinka Izakaya on St. Catherine for the second time, it's right in front of Trois Amigos, and god damn is that place ever good. It gets a little expensive, but the food is awesome.

Bump.

I went to a Japanese place called Kinka Izakaya on St. Catherine for the second time, it's right in front of Trois Amigos, and god damn is that place ever good. It gets a little expensive, but the food is awesome.

Thx for the tip. I've been on a Japanese food craze.

Try Bistro Isakaya on Parc Avenue.....

Freakin' good.....and inexpensive (for Japanese food)

There are two places I like, both on St. Catherine & both are the same style of place: Kinka Izakaya & Imatake (Which is one block west of The Forum).

The biggest difference between the two is Kinka Izakaya is more of a layed back place with better food, while Imatake is more of a rowdy & lively place to drink, more like a pub environment with decent food.

Izakayas are supposed to be inexpensive. Just well executed bar food to accompany your booze -- at least that's the drill in Japan.

Imatake is a winner.....but it feels like a ''5 à 7'' for Cegep/College students.....it's always like that every time I go

Back