• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

I always love the biblethumpers.

only one god! and his name is jesus! and he's the son of another god we call God! and they have another helper called the Holy Spirit! so really three gods! and some of us pray to Mother Mary. So four gods! and then there's all the saints we pray to, so there's a whole whack of gods, really!

and, of course, this guy doesn't even realize that buddhists don't worship buddha, nor do muslims worship mohammed.
I also enjoyed the "...and they tell our children THEY CAN'T PRAY IN SCHOOOOOL!!!!". It's funny that thumpers so rarely actually give voice to their real complaint. Because of course, every student everywhere in any American (or Canadian) school has the right to pray. But it's easier to simplify the complaint into "our kids aren't allowed to pray", instead of complaining that schools no longer FORCE every child and teacher to pray.

...oh, and as far as the poor kid in Florida that got shot and Obama empathizing with his family---KB, you really are a loathesome piece of shit.

I also enjoyed the "...and they tell our children THEY CAN'T PRAY IN SCHOOOOOL!!!!". It's funny that thumpers so rarely actually give voice to their real complaint. Because of course, every student everywhere in any American (or Canadian) school has the right to pray. But it's easier to simplify the complaint into "our kids aren't allowed to pray", instead of complaining that schools no longer FORCE every child and teacher to pray.

It's incredible how that difference goes over some people's heads.

In the schools I was in it was always patently obvious to even the most religious christians that the argument was ridiculous. They could pray in school. They had a prayer group. But there were no school-led/assigned/prescribed/organized prayers. The reason that there couldn't be is more obvious when there are 4-6 religions heavily represented (along with a reasonably large group of open atheists) in the school. It's easier to overlook the inherrent unfairness in school-led prayer when there's only the 2 jews and that weird goth couple making up the visible group of people who would not be ok with the prayers.

If the government REALLY wanted to bring down prices, they shoud force oil companies to divest themselves of their refining and retailing. Break it up into drilling and supply, then refining, then retailing. It would create a free for all and prices would plummet. As it stands, no matter how much oil is in the market, if oil companies restrict refining for real or imaginary reasons, prices will stay up.

I'll be pushing up earthworms before politician get a brain on how to handle this......

Interesting read...

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41478.pdf

Yah, that's never gonna happen. Those guys tax plan and transfer price to nth degree. They look at ROIs right from the moment they do 3D seismic to the moment we pump it into our cars. Interesting link, thanks for that.

BTW....in my endless and futile quest to find a decent investment, I found a plaza with a gas station. I wasn't too keen on the idea so I didn't go into too much due diligence. From what i gathered, retailing was simply being the oil companies biatch. They controlled the price, profits, etc. while the owner took the risk and all the hassle. I think it was something like 4-5 cents per liter to cover costs and "profit". Meanwhile, I think it's was something like 25 cents a liter profit at the refining end.

Yep. That sound about right. Even huge firms that are only partly integrated get the shaft from the fully integrated firms.

Thomas Jefferson et al would roll over in their graves if they heard that preacher..... Reading the God Delusion pointed out just how secular the founding fathers were.

...oh, and as far as the poor kid in Florida that got shot and Obama empathizing with his family---KB, you really are a loathesome piece of shit.

Anybody reading kb's latest insanity should finally come to the realisation that there is absolutely no sense talking to him.

Anybody reading kb's latest insanity should finally come to the realisation that there is absolutely no sense talking to him.

What? He's been a lunatic for years. Anyone who is just "finally" coming to that realization has a significant head injury that I suggest they have looked at.

OT: Canadian Politics

NDP picking their new leader today:

NDP leadership hopeful Thomas Mulcair could have solidified his frontrunner status with a strong performance at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre on Friday.

But Mulcair missed the mark.

Each candidate had 20 minutes to make their final pitch to the more than 4,600 party members attending the largest leadership convention in NDP history.

Mulcair made an impressive entrance with a marching band, but had to speed through his speech due to the strict timeline carved out by the party.

His messaging was weakened even further as he read from a script instead of speaking from memory.

John Ivision of the National Post tweeted: "Mulcair reading his speech as if he and it are complete strangers. Isn't he meant to be the Great Communicator?"

Toronto MP Peggy Nash's showcase was also rushed as the music began to play, forcing the MP off the stage. When she failed to stop talking, Nash's microphone was cutoff.

Nathan Cullen and Brian Topp, the two other frontrunners, had more polished presentations.

Cullen had a no-frills showcase, without a video or a guest introduction.

Instead, the MP from B.C. went with a personal touch, walking around with microphone in hand and speaking from memory about his family and his opposition to the northern gateway pipeline.

Brian Topp, whose stature in the contest had diminished since the race began, finished strong with a solid presentation, which had a lot of substance but little sizzle.

His speech pandered to the left wing of the party — at one point he stated he was a "proud New Democrat and an unapologetic social democrat."

In an interview with Yahoo! Canada News, Topp said the showcase was an important part of the campaign.

"I think [my speech] went well. It's up to the members to decide the quality of my performance compared to my colleagues," he said, adding that it's very hard to say how many undecided voters watched the leadership showcases.

"There was a fair bit of voting before we started the convention but I think there are some members [at the convention] and who were watching on TV who were still considering who to vote for. In that sense the showcase was important."

Re: OT - Canadian Politics

According to NP: Thomas Mulcair leads after the first ballot with 30.3% of the vote. Brian Topp is second with 21.4%, Nathan Cullen third with 16.4%, and Peggy Nash fourth with 12.8%.

Paul Dewar, Martin Singh and Niki Ashton rounded out the bottom and immediately announced they are dropping out of the race.

*edit: definitely low for Mulcair. Probably spells the end for Nash, since she's a drop behind the other challengers. Given Mulcair's low showing, I'd definitely bet on one of Topp or Cullen to end up winning.

Last edited:

Anyone but Mulcair wins, NDP drop 40 seats in Quebec.

A little surprised with Cullen, I pegged him around 12 percent on the first ballot.

I figured a Toronto convention, with the NDP's rules, would favour Peggy Nash. Not so.

Brian Topp fared better than a lot of NDP friends of mine figured he would have.

NDP is going to have a hell of a time maintaining the seats they won by pure luck in Quebec regardless of who is the leader.

many of you aren't parents. i suspect you would have a difficult time understanding how insulting it would be if your kid was killed, and some politician grabbed a microphone and talked about how "geez, that could have been MY kid".

in all of your foaming-at-the-mouth-KB-and-any-other-right-winger-is-a-nutjob leftwingery, you aren't reflecting on the tone and the timing of what he said. every single human being with a beating heart and a conscience needs to be upset, horrified, and angry about how this went down. but when the president of the country chooses to wade in for the first time on the issue, i submit again that it was shockingly crass, self-absorbed, and self-serving for him to make his first statements about how it could have been HIS kid. its wasn't about HIM. the first thing out of your mouth, mr.president, shouldn't be speculation about how it could have affected YOU. you need to lead the nation in grief, remorse, sympathy for those parents, and for that kid. you need to shut your self-absorbed narcissistic mouth about how it could have been about YOU.

tumblr_lz0fcvSVho1qcj2txo1_500.png

its too bad for paul dewar. i know him personally, and while i couldnt vote for him in a million years he is a very, very, very nice human being and a very honourable man. he would have made a fine leader of the NDP.

Their voting system could use some work. Both the second round and now the third round results were delayed due to problems with the internet voting, and that's with many fewer votes being cast than expected.

Back