• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Re: OT: Canadian Politics

I'm scared for the propaganda, bullshit, and horrifically poor policy choices that are coming today... #budgetday #electionyear

You are scared of the wrong things.

What should I be scared of?

And please please please don't say jihadi terrorists.

Putting aside my issues with the CPC's foreign policy, feel free to show that the frequent tax cuts and (demographic) targeted spending amounts to smart economic policy.

I'm far more scared of our provincial government run by that idiotic she-man than the feds. One has a far greater impact on your day-to-day life too.

Peak hydro rates to rise AGAIN. It's now twice as much to do laundry between 11am and 5pm vs. outside of that timeframe.

Why when we are selling "surplus" power at a loss?

This Provincial government has completely lost it on the energy front.

Yeah, I'm moving. Enjoy!

I'm far more scared of our provincial government run by that idiotic she-man than the feds. One has a far greater impact on your day-to-day life too.
There's nothing that can be done about the provincial Liberals at the moment though. There won't be an opportunity to replace them for the foreseeable future. Or even longer, if the PC's lose their goddamned minds and elect a staunch social conservative as their party leader.

I'm scared for the propaganda, bullshit, and horrifically poor policy choices that are coming today... #budgetday #electionyear

Yeah, like this perfectly-timed pro-C51 propaganda move:
OTTAWA - The number of Canadians leaving to join militant groups in Iraq and Syria such as Islamic State has increased 50 percent in the past few months, a senior security official said on Monday.

"The terrorist threat to Canada's national security interests has never been as direct or immediate," Michel Coulombe, head of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service spy agency, told a Senate committee.
link

Nothing like scaring the people into supporting their own government spying initiative...

There's nothing that can be done about the provincial Liberals at the moment though. There won't be an opportunity to replace them for the foreseeable future. Or even longer, if the PC's lose their goddamned minds and elect a staunch social conservative as their party leader.

Trust me, doing my best to prevent this.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-if-election-ends-in-minority-poll-shows.html

Most Canadians support the idea of a coalition government if no party gains a majority in Parliament in the next federal election, according to a new Forum Research poll.
The Liberals and Conservatives remain virtually tied in public support, according to the same poll — a trend that has continued for the past five months.
The public opinion survey found 35 per cent support for the Liberals, and 33 per cent support for the Conservatives, a statistical tie given the poll’s margin of error.
The New Democrats had 22 per cent support.
The poll says nearly 60 per cent of respondents support the idea of two or more parties forming a coalition government, if no party gains a majority of seats in October’s election.
“It appears that the idea of a coalition government isn’t the bogeyman to voters that the government would like us to believe,’’ said Lorne Bozinoff, president of Forum Research.
A majority of Canadians are familiar enough with the U.K.’s system of government that they’ll support some form of co-operative government in a minority situation, Bozinoff said, adding “one thing is clear — the coalition they are discussing is between the Liberals and the NDP, to supplant a Conservative minority.’’

In other news, C-51 still sucks. This time it's according to an open letter from 60 "business leaders"

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-c...open-letter-from-60-canadian-business-leaders

Many have spoken of the impact that Bill C-51 will have on Canadians in their everyday lives, so let us speak to the business impacts. We work with international clients, and we fear that this proposed legislation will undermine international trust in Canada’s technology sector, thereby stifling the kinds of business our respective technology companies can generate when that level of trust is high.

We believe that, despite the rising tide of the knowledge economy, this legislation threatens to undermine Canada’s reputation and change our business climate for the worse:

First, we must not allow censorship to become commonplace. Bill C-51 provides too much leeway for the Canadian Security and Intelligence Service (CSIS) to take unjustified actions against our businesses, including the takedown of websites. As it stands, C-51 criminalizes language in excessively broad terms that may place the authors of innocent tweets and the operators of online platforms such as Facebook, and Twitter, along with Canada’s Hootsuite and Slack, at risk of criminal sanction for activities carried out on their sites. The Bill further empowers CSIS to take unspecified and open-ended ‘measures’, which may include the overt takedown of multi-use websites or other communications networks with or without any judicial supervision.

We understand that harmful activity can occur online, however Canadian law already prohibits hate speech and promotion of criminal offences. This legislation proposes unnecessary and excessive speech prohibitions which, as Professors Forcese and Roach have pointed out, “contains no defences for legitimate expression of political or religious thought.” Taking down websites without these safeguards can unduly impact our ability to do business and commerce.

Second, we believe that Bill C-51 will effectively grant the Communications Security Establishment (CSE), which is empowered to assist CSIS, an implicit offensive mandate to act within Canada. There is little sober second thought in the new open-ended world of covert action that C-51 creates for CSE. New CSE digital disruption activities can include measures such as the false attribution of disreputable content to individuals, and even planting of malware on individual computing devices.

Much more in the link.

I love all the promises they're making to Canadians that take into effect if they win. TFSA and other goodies.

I must say, the budget was not near as bad as I was expecting. I mean, I still think there are major flaws and issues with it, but I was definitely expecting worse.

I hate all the "this budget is for the rich!" talk.

I make in the six-figures but certainly don't consider myself rich. I believe I am firmly "middle class".

No pension, no benefits, I pay out of pocket for my life and disability insurance. Giving me the ability to put alittle more tax free money is exactly what someone in my position needs to be able to retire in 30 years.

I'm fine with a coalition government as long as you run on the premise.

Don't say "no" for two years then form a coalition in defeat.

I'm a firm believer that a coalition, no matter the combined votes, didn't win a mandate.

Well, I'd say technically in our FPTP system, the single party that wins the most seats is the first that's given an opportunity to govern. So if Harper wins more seats than either the Libs or NDP, I think he should rightly get first crack at government.

However, if he then loses the confidence of the house, I would have no problems with the two 'loser' parties forming a governing coalition. Despite that, I don't think something like that would go over well with the population.

But if Trudeau campaigns on "no coalition" and then after placing second to Harper goes running to Big Tommy, then yeah, I think voters could justifiably be pissed.

I hate all the "this budget is for the rich!" talk.

I make in the six-figures but certainly don't consider myself rich. I believe I am firmly "middle class".

No pension, no benefits, I pay out of pocket for my life and disability insurance. Giving me the ability to put alittle more tax free money is exactly what someone in my position needs to be able to retire in 30 years.

Based on numbers from the 2011 census (i.e. 'National Household Survey') that puts you in the top 10% of income earners at a minimum corks, and, depending on how big those six figures are, in the top 1% (cut off was $191,100).

While you may consider yourself 'middle class', to the rest of Canada, you're in the upper class. And I'm not even disputing the idea that you don't consider yourself 'rich' - I grew up in an upper-middle class household and, despite being similarly situated to you, I never felt 'rich'. But relative to most Canadians (and people generally), we both technically are.

And the economists are pretty universal in saying things like the expanded TFSAs, income splitting, etc disproportionately benefit better off folks. Expanded TFSAs only help those with enough income to be able to save. Income splitting most often helps those who may not need the support as much. A lot of the beneficiaries of the stupid tax credits (eg children's/family one or whatever) no longer even have child care expenses. etc etc

Even conservative economists like Jack Mintz have come out against a number of the proposals in the budget. CD Howe too.

Back