• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Re: OT: Canadian Politics

I am scared of the PC's.
I like where I live, don't want to even have to consider leaving this Country, but we could become 1984 fairly easily if people continue to vote with their eyes closed.

Rob Ford has dropped out of the Mayoral race.

The big rumor is that Doug will run in his place and Rob will run in his old riding for council.

Mikey Ford has apparently dropped out of the Ward 2 race to make room for his uncle.

link
Senate Republicans on Thursday blocked a vote on a constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United and other Supreme Court rulings dating back to 1976 that invalidated restrictions on money in politics.

The party line vote was 54 in favor, 42 against, falling short of the 60 votes needed to defeat a filibuster and proceed to a final vote.

The Senate broke an initial filibuster on the measure on Monday. But many Republicans who voted to begin debate did not support the proposal and intended to ultimately block it. The procedural motion on Thursday means the Senate won't move to an up-or-down vote, where it was even likelier to fail because it needed a two-thirds majority to advance.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), a fierce opponent of campaign finance restrictions, blasted Democrats for bringing up the measure.

"I have to say it’s a little disconcerting to see the Democrat-led Senate focusing on things like reducing free speech protections for the American people," he said before the vote. "This is what they chose to make their top legislative priority this week. Taking an eraser to the First Amendment."
Anybody surprised? I didn't think so...

Gee... what a.... shame...
It is a shame, actually. It deprives Toronto voters the pleasure of kicking the sack of shit out of office ourselves. Now, he and his family can spend the next four years under the delusion that Robbie could have somehow won again, if only he'd stayed healthy.

The other downside is that without the need for voters to coalesce around an "anybody but Ford" candidate, "Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow" is suddenly a possibility again. Hopefully Doug Ford will jump into the race in his brothers's stead and prevent that from happening. Plus, watching DoFo lose in a landslide and give a whiny, bitter concession speech would be great TV.

This is exactly what I said would happen the other day.

We will know in under an hour what is happening when the deadline passes.

Doug said that only one Ford would run for Mayor, well they just filed Rob's paperwork to drop out of the race so it looks for certain that Doug will run. Michael Ford has officially dropped out of the race in Ward 2.

It is a shame, actually. It deprives Toronto voters the pleasure of kicking the sack of shit out of office ourselves. Now, he and his family can spend the next four years under the delusion that Robbie could have somehow won again, if only he'd stayed healthy.

The other downside is that without the need for voters to coalesce around an "anybody but Ford" candidate, "Toronto Mayor Olivia Chow" is suddenly a possibility again. Hopefully Doug Ford will jump into the race in his brothers's stead and prevent that from happening. Plus, watching DoFo lose in a landslide and give a whiny, bitter concession speech would be great TV.

Good post.

I am scared of the PC's.
I like where I live, don't want to even have to consider leaving this Country, but we could become 1984 fairly easily if people continue to vote with their eyes closed.
Name one way your life has been adversely affected over the past 8 years of PC governance.

You've got a point.

First up, I wish Rob Ford a speedy recovery. But man, this continues to play put like a juicy Emmy winning drama.

Season 1 cliff hanger was Rob Ford going to rehab, after a year of denials.

Season 2 ends with RoFo under the knife and his bro trying to win in his place.

Season 3 will start with the election results

Name one way your life has been adversely affected over the past 8 years of PC governance.

Their antiquated drug laws mean that, even though I could qualify for Medical Marijuana, because my wife works for the cops it would be more hassle than it's worth to go legal. They'd give me all the oxy I wanted, but not a drug that does more good, less harm, and didn't leave me wishing I was dead for a week or so.
That's one without even needing to ponder.

BxWYOhbIAAAeTaH.jpg:large

The worst part of today's news is that, unless he croaks, we're pretty much guaranteed four more years of Rob Ford in Toronto politics.

You have to figure there's no way he loses a race for his council seat in the heartland of "Ford Nation".

The worst part of today's news is that, unless he croaks, we're pretty much guaranteed four more years of Rob Ford in Toronto politics.

You have to figure there's no way he loses a race for his council seat in the heartland of "Ford Nation".

Sadly that is very true.

Mikey Ford is the back up if anything happens to Rob. In fact, I expect Rob to be counsellor in name only with Mikey doing most of the leg work in his ward. Good way to introduce him and prepare him to run for council if needed.

I expect Doug Ford to be an awful campaigner. There's a reason he never ran for any office of note, despite being the "smarter" brother.

We'll all get to see why.

:lurk5:

Back