• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

in·dis·crim·i·nate

adjective
done at random or without careful judgment.
"the indiscriminate killing of civilians"
synonyms: nonselective, unselective, undiscriminating, uncritical, aimless, hit-or-miss, haphazard, random, arbitrary, unsystematic, undirected;

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/12/ner...-ex-spy-theresa-may-announcement-awaited.html

The nerve agent attack on the former Russian agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter looks like "state-sponsored attempted murder," according to the chairman of the U.K.'s Foreign Affairs Committee.

It was very discriminate, targeted.

There is also a lot of collateral damage in this case. Not a act of terror though.

Brianne Pfannenstiel @brianneDMR
7m
BREAKING:Bill Dix resigning at 2 p.m. following release of video of him kissing a lobbyist: desmoinesregister.com/story/news/201…

DYG54UpU8AA3U6E.jpg:large

indiscriminate enough for the brits to put out a public health warning.

The word you are looking for here is reckless or careless.

Or maybe negligent or audacious.

But one cannot use indiscriminate while talking about a targeted attempted murder. Literally a oxymoron.

And the semantics of a terror attack versus foreign espionage operation are clearly lost on you, but lets just say that the Brits know better than to classify it as that because their hands are not clean in this regard.

Re: OT: Canadian Politics

I can't believe they might actually toss this gimme away...again. My Dad might not survive this election.

Ford would also energize those outside the base, however, and not in the Tories’ favour. Just as those already planning to vote for the party say they’d be more likely to do so if Ford were leader, those who will definitely not even consider the party say they’d be even less likely to do so with Ford at the helm.

Well that's helpful. Those who would definitely not even consider the party will now...Double Secret not even consider them? Brilliant bit of insight there.

I can't believe they might actually toss this gimme away...again. My Dad might not survive this election.

Well that's helpful. Those who would definitely not even consider the party will now...Double Secret not even consider them? Brilliant bit of insight there.
There is some insight there. With Elliot or Mulroney, a lot more outside of the tory base would consider voting for the party, speaking of the ability of those two to reach outside that base for support, and maybe more importantly, if not convince them to vote for the PCs, not motivate them to go out and vote liberal.

What this speaks to is the disgruntled Liberal who might have been so done with Wynne and the Liberal party coming out to vote simply to keep Doug Ford out.

The word you are looking for here is reckless or careless.

Or maybe negligent or audacious.

But one cannot use indiscriminate while talking about a targeted attempted murder. Literally a oxymoron.

And the semantics of a terror attack versus foreign espionage operation are clearly lost on you, but lets just say that the Brits know better than to classify it as that because their hands are not clean in this regard.

again, indiscriminate enough for the brits to put out a public health warning for anyone who was in that restaurant.

and no, having a specific target does not mean that attack wasn't indiscriminate.

Last edited:
again, indiscriminate enough for the brits to put out a public health warning for anyone who was in that restaurant.

If they used a bomb to blow up everyone in that restaurant in order to kill those two it would still be an assassination and not indiscriminate killing.

I appreciate that you spent extra time in school studying American politics, but maybe you should have spent more time in English class.

There is some insight there. With Elliot or Mulroney, a lot more outside of the tory base would consider voting for the party, speaking of the ability of those two to reach outside that base for support, and maybe more importantly, if not convince them to vote for the PCs, not motivate them to go out and vote liberal.

What this speaks to is the disgruntled Liberal who might have been so done with Wynne and the Liberal party coming out to vote simply to keep Doug Ford out.

Ah ya true enough. I always forget about the massive amount of people who don't actually turn up to the polls.

Elliott was the safe choice for this lay-up of an election. Instead they chose Trump-lite. But Ontario isn't the U.S.

It's like they actively try to not get elected.

http://opil.ouplaw.com/view/10.1093/law:epil/9780199231690/law-9780199231690-e307

4 In practice, examples of indiscriminate attacks include: when the perpetrator fires blindly into adversarial territory without ensuring that the attacked target is of military nature; the use of an air strike in situations of delimited sight without adequate technical equipment for the location of legitimate targets (that is, when weather conditions are bad or during night time); or conducting an attack with imprecise weapons against a military objective, which is closely surrounded by civilian objects (Dinstein 127).

“This attempted murder using a weapons-grade nerve agent in a British town was not just a crime against the Skripals,” May said Monday in her address to lawmakers in Parliament. “It was an indiscriminate and reckless act against the United Kingdom, putting the lives of innocent civilians at risk, and we will not tolerate such a brazen attempt to murder innocent civilians on our soil,” she added.

If you want more free education, just ask.

exactly.

some one like me, who would love to vote for not Kathleen Wynne, and would entertain voting for the PCs.

well, would entertain is now past tense. would have entertained I suppose.

by electing Ford leader the PCs effectively made the pool of available voters they could potentially draw on that much smaller.

http://opil.ouplaw.com/view/10.1093/law:epil/9780199231690/law-9780199231690-e307

4 In practice, examples of indiscriminate attacks include: when the perpetrator fires blindly into adversarial territory without ensuring that the attacked target is of military nature; the use of an air strike in situations of delimited sight without adequate technical equipment for the location of legitimate targets (that is, when weather conditions are bad or during night time); or conducting an attack with imprecise weapons against a military objective, which is closely surrounded by civilian objects (Dinstein 127).
LMAO, you're using the military laws of armed conflict for your argument?

Oh please, do go on. Tell me all about the ex spy being a military target, haha, dear god...

“This attempted murder using a weapons-grade nerve agent in a British town was not just a crime against the Skripals,” May said Monday in her address to lawmakers in Parliament. “It was an indiscriminate and reckless act against the United Kingdom, putting the lives of innocent civilians at risk, and we will not tolerate such a brazen attempt to murder innocent civilians on our soil,” she added.

andre-the-giant-gif-5.gif

Jim Sciutto @jimsciutto
UK PM May just now: "The government has concluded that it is highly likely #Russia is responsible" for the poisoning of former Russian spy on UK soil.

They indiscriminately gassed them in public, harming a whole bunch of people.

why isn't this called a terrorist attack?

i think because it was targeted

not at random

and what does it matter if it is labeled terrorism or not?

(legit asking)

Semantics.

Could open the possibility of being charged as a terrorist for whoever did the attack as opposed to a spy, and that would really open a can of worms among the intelligence world.

Mossad, the CIA, Mi6, and many others would not want that to happen.

Back