Page 1 of 1097 12311511015011001 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Canadian Politics

Post Thanks / Like

Default OT: Canadian Politics

NDP picking their new leader today:

NDP leadership hopeful Thomas Mulcair could have solidified his frontrunner status with a strong performance at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre on Friday.

But Mulcair missed the mark.

Each candidate had 20 minutes to make their final pitch to the more than 4,600 party members attending the largest leadership convention in NDP history.

Mulcair made an impressive entrance with a marching band, but had to speed through his speech due to the strict timeline carved out by the party.

His messaging was weakened even further as he read from a script instead of speaking from memory.

John Ivision of the National Post tweeted: "Mulcair reading his speech as if he and it are complete strangers. Isn't he meant to be the Great Communicator?"

Toronto MP Peggy Nash's showcase was also rushed as the music began to play, forcing the MP off the stage. When she failed to stop talking, Nash's microphone was cutoff.

Nathan Cullen and Brian Topp, the two other frontrunners, had more polished presentations.

Cullen had a no-frills showcase, without a video or a guest introduction.

Instead, the MP from B.C. went with a personal touch, walking around with microphone in hand and speaking from memory about his family and his opposition to the northern gateway pipeline.

Brian Topp, whose stature in the contest had diminished since the race began, finished strong with a solid presentation, which had a lot of substance but little sizzle.

His speech pandered to the left wing of the party at one point he stated he was a "proud New Democrat and an unapologetic social democrat."

In an interview with Yahoo! Canada News, Topp said the showcase was an important part of the campaign.

"I think [my speech] went well. It's up to the members to decide the quality of my performance compared to my colleagues," he said, adding that it's very hard to say how many undecided voters watched the leadership showcases.

"There was a fair bit of voting before we started the convention but I think there are some members [at the convention] and who were watching on TV who were still considering who to vote for. In that sense the showcase was important."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OT - Canadian Politics

According to NP: Thomas Mulcair leads after the first ballot with 30.3% of the vote. Brian Topp is second with 21.4%, Nathan Cullen third with 16.4%, and Peggy Nash fourth with 12.8%.

Paul Dewar, Martin Singh and Niki Ashton rounded out the bottom and immediately announced they are dropping out of the race.

*edit: definitely low for Mulcair. Probably spells the end for Nash, since she's a drop behind the other challengers. Given Mulcair's low showing, I'd definitely bet on one of Topp or Cullen to end up winning.
    Last edited by UWHabs; 03-24-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: add comment

1st Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, Mulcair will still win it.
    Too Cold for JT......

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone but Mulcair wins, NDP drop 40 seats in Quebec.

A little surprised with Cullen, I pegged him around 12 percent on the first ballot.

I figured a Toronto convention, with the NDP's rules, would favour Peggy Nash. Not so.

Brian Topp fared better than a lot of NDP friends of mine figured he would have.
    #AnotherBrickInTheWoll

"There are no men like me. There's only me." - The Kingslayer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IrishWolfman View Post
    Anyone but Mulcair wins, NDP drop 40 seats in Quebec.
    And how is that a bad thing? For me, I want the most radical leftist leading them.
    The only thing that counts is winning.

1st Liner
    Post Thanks / Like

NDP is going to have a hell of a time maintaining the seats they won by pure luck in Quebec regardless of who is the leader.
    Too Cold for JT......

Post Thanks / Like

its too bad for paul dewar. i know him personally, and while i couldnt vote for him in a million years he is a very, very, very nice human being and a very honourable man. he would have made a fine leader of the NDP.
    "Planes fly because of the wind"- Blacksheep

"Cmon, I cant believe we dont have about seventy KBs out there, howling at us. I feel like howling at us. How can we even care about this franchise? Did we all get the Swine flu DNA?"- teeds

Holy Scripture: http://sweetness-light.com/archive/r...77-cpac-speech

Post Thanks / Like

Their voting system could use some work. Both the second round and now the third round results were delayed due to problems with the internet voting, and that's with many fewer votes being cast than expected.

Post Thanks / Like

transferable votes SUCK. it is an abominable system, and it should never be allowed anywhere NEAR any canadian election that means anything. i think its kinda fitting that the party that has pushed the hardest for these kinds of wacky voting systems is having trouble with it at their own convention.
    "Planes fly because of the wind"- Blacksheep

"Cmon, I cant believe we dont have about seventy KBs out there, howling at us. I feel like howling at us. How can we even care about this franchise? Did we all get the Swine flu DNA?"- teeds

Holy Scripture: http://sweetness-light.com/archive/r...77-cpac-speech

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HabsAddict View Post
    And how is that a bad thing? For me, I want the most radical leftist leading them.
    ?

I thought Mulcair was the centrist in this bunch.
    New England Patriots - 2017 Super Bowl Champions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by voyager View Post
    NDP is going to have a hell of a time maintaining the seats they won by pure luck in Quebec regardless of who is the leader.
    Yep.
    New England Patriots - 2017 Super Bowl Champions

Post Thanks / Like

With Nash out now Cullen could be the king-maker, and you'd have to think he would support Mulcair before Topp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theREALkoreaboy View Post
    transferable votes SUCK. it is an abominable system, and it should never be allowed anywhere NEAR any canadian election that means anything. i think its kinda fitting that the party that has pushed the hardest for these kinds of wacky voting systems is having trouble with it at their own convention.
    It's not the transferrable votes, it's the electronic voting at home. They didn't budget for the stupidity of people who don't know how to vote online.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sir pyscho sexy View Post
    With Nash out now Cullen could be the king-maker, and you'd have to think he would support Mulcair before Topp.
    The big question is how Nash's votes go. Unless if Topp can get 3/4 of her delegates, probably not enough for him to come and challenge Mulcair in this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lecoqsportif View Post
    ?

I thought Mulcair was the centrist in this bunch.
    Separate the two lines. The first was was a comment on NDP losing 40 seats. Second line stands alone.

Muclair IS the centrist and that's why I don't want him to win.
    The only thing that counts is winning.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OT: Canadian Politics

Cullen gone now. Down to Topp and Mulcair. Mulcair with 44%, Topp 32%. Looks like Mulcair should be able to pull it off, as he's pulling in a good number of 2nd place votes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thomas Mulcair wins the NDP leadership race and is now Leader of the Opposition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BURG View Post
    Thomas Mulcair wins the NDP leadership race and is now Leader of the Opposition.
    I would like to thank the NDP for picking someone who is going to give Bob Rae fits, keep the Liberals down in the polls and keep the Lefties divided.
    #AnotherBrickInTheWoll

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Giving Bob Rae fits will sit well with most of us, I think.
    But can Mulcair give Harper the same fits? I would prefer to think so, but sadly, I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SENSible View Post
    Photoshop is a wonderful program.

Have watched that hit 50 times from multiple angles. That picture is doctored.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Giving Bob Rae fits will sit well with most of us, I think.
    But can Mulcair give Harper the same fits? I would prefer to think so, but sadly, I doubt it.
    Being as this is my profession, I'm usually loathe to give opinions. However, I am of the opinion that Thomas Mulcair has a very small window of opportunity in which he can become the most significant figure in French-Canadian politics since Rene Levesque.

Mulcair is unlike any other animal that Harper has had to face in the House. He's as smart as Dion or Ignatieff but far more tough. He doesn't have Bob Rae's baggage. He has a solid regional base of support. Is he invulnerable? Certainly not. But the strategy Harper can use, and almost has to use to defeat Mulcair would entrench the NDP and destroy the Liberals. I'm not sure that's his desired result.
    #AnotherBrickInTheWoll

Page 1 of 1097 12311511015011001 ... LastLast