• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Re: OT: Canadian Politics

High speed rail would be awesome. A party that promised to cut the red tape on some of this junk and ram these infrastructure projects through would have my vote. Build some shit. I don't really care if everyone in the province has nice teeth.

And don't half ass it. If you're going to do high speed rail, it better be really really fast.

Btw...the cost of high speed rail is 25-39M USD per km in Europe. Though a lot of Europe has terrain challenges that southern ontario just doesn't.

So you'd be looking at minimum of 2 billion to do a high speed line from Union to Hamilton, or from Union to Barrie.

Tbh, I don't know if the region needs modern high speed train technology as much as it needs it's 1950's rail infrastructure improved to 1990's era rail infrastructure. Go Train's average 50kmh because of frequent stops and shitty rails. Just adding better rail infrastructure to allow for more express train travel and you could cut travel times down drastically. GO's current gear is limited at 133kmh. At that speed you could do Niagara to Union in 1 Hr, so allow for a stop in Hamilton on an express line including speed up/slow down and you're at maybe 1:15.

Don't get me wrong, I'm entirely onside with high speed rail, but the region isn't really big enough to "need" it for these longer commutes to be feasible. Right now it takes something like 1.5 hrs to do the Barrie to Union run apparently. Put an express line in though with one stop in Newmarket and you could cut that in half.

I don't trust the province to be able to roll out proper Euro/Asian style high speed rail in anything close to a reasonable time line. Tax crediting the shit out of GO or Via to build additional lines that could be used to express service would actually maximize assets currently in use.

I full well plan on entering politics after I'm done in the army.

Definitely quebec though, ontario is ****ed.

I'd like to get involved in the backroom influencing end of it when I move back to Ontario, but I have no interest in the public end of it. Too many skeletons, and nobody loves the guy who makes his money on investing/speculating. I'd much rather be on a first name basis with my MP, MPP, city councillors, the mayor, etc and have my name near the top of the list when they're calling people looking for campaign money.

Btw...the cost of high speed rail is 25-39M USD per km in Europe. Though a lot of Europe has terrain challenges that southern ontario just doesn't.

So you'd be looking at minimum of 2 billion to do a high speed line from Union to Hamilton, or from Union to Barrie.

Tbh, I don't know if the region needs modern high speed train technology as much as it needs it's 1950's rail infrastructure improved to 1990's era rail infrastructure. Go Train's average 50kmh because of frequent stops and shitty rails. Just adding better rail infrastructure to allow for more express train travel and you could cut travel times down drastically. GO's current gear is limited at 133kmh. At that speed you could do Niagara to Union in 1 Hr, so allow for a stop in Hamilton on an express line including speed up/slow down and you're at maybe 1:15.

Don't get me wrong, I'm entirely onside with high speed rail, but the region isn't really big enough to "need" it for these longer commutes to be feasible. Right now it takes something like 1.5 hrs to do the Barrie to Union run apparently. Put an express line in though with one stop in Newmarket and you could cut that in half.

I don't trust the province to be able to roll out proper Euro/Asian style high speed rail in anything close to a reasonable time line. Tax crediting the shit out of GO or Via to build additional lines that could be used to express service would actually maximize assets currently in use.

The current plan is to spend like 6B on a one stop subway in Scarborough. So probably multiply any HS costs by 5 for shitty government.

But there really is no reason we don't have at least a true express service through the whole golden horseshoe region to Toronto. Give me KW to Toronto in an hour please.

The current plan is to spend like 6B on a one stop subway in Scarborough. So probably multiply any HS costs by 5 for shitty government.

But there really is no reason we don't have at least a true express service through the whole golden horseshoe region to Toronto. Give me KW to Toronto in an hour please.

The cost of legacy technology train tracks is about 2 million per KM. Less than 10% the cost of modern high speed infrastructure. I really think we should worry about maximizing current assets before spending billions on new technology. I know it doesn't sound sexy, but uninterrupted 130kmh speeds are a extremely valuable to the region.

As for subways though...****ing build everywhere. The thing with subways in a city is that wherever you put subway access, the demand will grow up around it. Would it be nice if they had a clue about prioritizing the expenditures in area that need it the most right now? Absolutely, but failing sanity, I'm entirely good with a spray and pray method as long as you continue spraying.

I get that London is twice the size of Toronto, but there's no excuse for Toronto's subway map to not look something like this within the next 20-30 years

tunnelmap-595caedd2a976-595cb187defda.png

Something like this should be the minimum expectation

ttcV5.png

But just keep ****ing building it, **** the cost, it will repay itself over decades in multiples of what it cost in dollars to build.

the state of transit in toronto is pathetic. literally next to no development in half a century. and what they do develop are useless ****ing political pet projects. just a gross lack of leadership at all levels.

I'd like to get involved in the backroom influencing end of it when I move back to Ontario, but I have no interest in the public end of it. Too many skeletons, and nobody loves the guy who makes his money on investing/speculating. I'd much rather be on a first name basis with my MP, MPP, city councillors, the mayor, etc and have my name near the top of the list when they're calling people looking for campaign money.

Isn't it the backroom people and the money that is ailing our democracy?

Don't get me wrong - our subway system is a joke compared to Europe. Hamburg is a city half the size of Toronto and their rail map blows ours out of the water:
hamburg-transport-map.jpg

Of course, not all of that is subways - the stuff outside the core is ground level, but it's all on separated ways without crossings. I do think people need to get out of their heads that LRT is a bad thing, and that it makes a lot more sense to build a real LRT line in the burbs rather than a one stop subway like the current plan is. But the big point is that they need to keep building. We should have already broken ground on the Downtown relief line 5 years ago - the pace of new transit in the city is appalling.

there should be a permanent policy in place to build one subway stop per year ....forever.

I do apologize for always taking so long to respond to your posts.

No worries

The Germans certainly remembered every attempt by the French to prevent their unification, going back to the Napoleonic wars. This shaped their outlook moving forward and could be considered their reason for the Franco-German war in 1870-71. The war the lead to them taking away Alsace Lorraine from the french, something that France would not forgive or forget. The Germans after unification would then move towards becoming the biggest industrialized power in Europe, for which they felt they needed a navy on par with the british to protect or challenge their trade and colonial empire. But this was not a trade war as it is being discussed here, because every year up until 1914, trade between the French and British was increasing, their economies more interdependent. It can almost be said that the increased trade fueled the arms race that followed. This arms race was not a cheap one, and yet with access to cheap steel imports, cheaper foodstuff, it actually made the arms buildup more affordable.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of this, though I think as a general concept you underplay the importance of trade in creating bonds between nation states and the cost/benefit analysis that goes into any war. If the amount of trade between France & Germany was of significant enough amount, does the Franco-Prussian war even happen? Do they take Alsace Lorraine (which I'd have to check a primary source to confirm, but if memory serves was largely taken for it's coal and lumber supplies) if the cost of the lost trade is worth more than they expect to gain from snatching a relatively small (though strategically important) region? I get that there is a large amount of colonialist era politics involved here that had a lot of ego, national pride, etc wrapped up in it, but the cold hard calculus of cost/benefit can't be ignored. Most decisions, macro and micro tend to line up with some version of cost/benefit.

To flip it another way, does France antagonize the Prussians for decades if there is a valuable trade relationship that they're trying to nurture? They legitimately felt threatened when Leopold made a claim on the Spanish throne, fearing encirclement by Prussian enemies. Find a way to shoehorn a thriving trade relationship in there and now it's not so threatening, a Prussian claim on the Spanish throne potentially opens up more trade options.

Ok, sure the collapse of the global economy due to protectionism did result in the rise of Hitler. I'll give you that. But if you accuse me of being simplistic about the origins of WW1, I in return accuse you of being simplistic by saying WW2 was the result of smoot-hawley and other trade wars os the 1930s.

I didn't claim that. I claimed that the protectionist reactions of the US to the great depression created the soil for fascism to grow out of in Europe. Happy, relatively wealthy populaces don't tend to gravitate towards nutters who want to overturn the system that has them fat and rich.

The lack of strong international institutions to punish and restrain any nation aggressively expanding their borders played a far bigger role. The utter reluctance of the global powers to keep Japan, Germany, Italy and the Soviet Union in line had far more to do with it. Great Britain and France forgiving German reparations at the Lausanne Conference allowing for their economy to recover almost overnight and thus build up their war industry had way more to do with it.

I don't disagree with any of this, but I don't think you're framing it properly. Yeah, the lack of strong international institutions to restrain aggression was a major factor, but you have to ask yourself why the LoN failed as it did. It failed largely because of a lack of true interconnectivety between the major nations, and because nobody had a stomache for war (other than the Germans...) with WW1 no further behind them than 9/11 is to us. It simply wasn't in the best interests of any of the participants to stick their neck out for anyone else in the group, and nobody was willing to go to the wall.

For the Germans, who were always searching for more rubber and more oil, increased trade only helped them wage more war.

Granted, but the alternative is what exactly? Are you suggesting that if Germany doesn't have access to markets they don't go to war? I wouldn't put forward the argument that trade is going to make Hitler not be Hitler. I would though put forward the argument that strong trade relationships will stop a population from generating Hitler's as their leader. If Hitler is just some ******* yelling on the street corner in Munich amidst an era of economic prosperity in Germany, he never makes a single history book.

You can have all the trade you want, if a despot thinks that they can get away with using military force they will do so. Ref Crimea. Russia has probably never been so integrated into the European and global economy as it was pre Crimea little green men invasion, but a strongman with an army is still more than willing to use military force for gain, damn the economic ramifications. Because they can get away with it.

Russia is a bit of a different beast though, as their relationship with Europe is less a partnership and more that of dealer/junkie. Yeah, you don't care if you shake down your addicted customer for their new shoes every one in a while, because you've got what they really need and it's not shoes. Europe provides little to Russia that it can't source elsewhere (machinery, pharma, chemicals) while Russia provides what can't be gotten anywhere else (Energy).

Though I would argue that a key reason that situation hasn't escalated, and that Russia only nibbles on the absolute edges of it's old empire is the economic/trade penalties placed on Russia after Crimea. They've seen trade with the EU plummet since 2014, and are pretty desperately trying to avoid new sanctions while getting old sanctions removed. They're just doing it the Russian way by subverting democracies instead of trying to play nice.

I think it's fair to say that Vlad miscalculated the potential reaction of the West to his adventure in Crimea. They see the American political establishment pretty galvanized against them (though they have their orange ace up their sleeve holding back the reaction wave at the moment) and they see the Europeans accelerating their efforts to kick their oil and gas addiction in direct reaction to Russian aggression. Vlad overplayed his hand and underestimated the effects of interconnectivety imo, we just haven't seen it fully play out yet. The pieces are lined up though.

'Murica

https://www.theindychannel.com/news...hooter-situation-at-noblesville-middle-school

NOBLESVILLE, Ind. -- Two people were reported in critical condition Friday morning following an active shooter situation at Noblesville West Middle School.

Police first learned of a reported active shooter situation at the school was issued at 9:06 a.m. Friday. As of 11 a.m., police said the suspected shooter, a male student, had been taken into custody.

Police said two victims, one adult teacher and one juvenile, were believed to have been shot. The adult patient was transported to IU Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, according to an IU Health spokesman. The juvenile patient was reportedly transported to Riley Hospital for Children.

A second student was being treated for an ankle fracture, according to Riverview Health.

Police say the shooter asked to be excused from the classroom, then returned with two handguns before opening fire.

A student who was in the classroom at the time of the incident said the shooter fired 4-6 shots, not at anybody in particular.

"When he walked in, he had this weird look on his face," the student said. "He reached into his right pocket and pulled out a handheld gun. He took about 4-5 shots, not aimed at anyone specifically like he was waving his hand around."

A middle school kid managed to get his hands on not one, but two hand guns.

****ing awesome.

Freedom!!! **** Yeah!!!!

Isn't it the backroom people and the money that is ailing our democracy?

Backroom people? No.

Money? When not structured properly, absolutely. If we go all "citizens united", that's terrible for our democracy. At reasonable levels were too much influence simply can't be purchased, nah.

there should be a permanent policy in place to build one subway stop per year ....forever.

Agreed. Even if you just picked a decent line structure and then selected a random line to extend by one stop every year you'd probably end up with a better system than Toronto is likely to with the usual politics managing it's construction.

Shit, had you started that in the 90's, and just added the downtown relief line and the Sheppard Line to the legacy lines, the Scarborough LRT line is probably out to Meadowvale by now (or heaven forbid, branches north to connect Markham), the Sheppard line is probably connecting at Sheppard West, the Bloor Line is probably out to Square One, the Finch line ends in Richmond Hill, and the downtown relief line is done or close to done.

It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be way better than what exists now.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trumps-son-concerned-wiretaps-show-trump-jr-met-putin-ally-231215529.html

The FBI has obtained secret wiretaps collected by Spanish police of conversations involving Alexander Torshin, a deputy governor of Russia’s Central Bank who has forged close ties with U.S. lawmakers and the National Rifle Association, that led to a meeting with Donald Trump Jr. during the gun lobby’s annual convention in Louisville, Ky., in May 2016, a top Spanish prosecutor said Friday.

José Grinda, who has spearheaded investigations into Spanish organized crime, said that bureau officials in recent months requested and were provided transcripts of wiretapped conversations between Torshin and Alexander Romanov, a convicted Russian money launderer. On the wiretaps, Romanov refers to Torshin as “El Padrino,” the godfather.

“Just a few months ago, the wiretaps of these telephone conversations were given to the FBI,” Grinda said in response to a question from Yahoo News during a talk he gave at the Hudson Institute, a conservative think tank in Washington. Asked if he was concerned about Torshin’s meetings with Donald Trump Jr. and other American political figures, Grinda replied: “Mr. Trump’s son should be concerned.”

The comments by Grinda were the first clear sign that the FBI may be investigating Torshin, possibly as a part of special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election. Torshin — a close political ally of Vladimir Putin — had multiple contacts with conservative activists in the United States during the election, seeking to set up a summit between the Russian president and then candidate Trump. Although the summit never transpired, Torshin did meet briefly with the president’s son at a private dinner in Louisville during the May 2016 annual convention of the NRA. A member of the NRA since 2012, Torshin has been a regular attendee of the group’s conventions in recent years and hosted senior members of the group in Moscow.

Grenier’s poll is starting to shift. OPC still projected to get majority of seats but range is tracking down. Dipsters now have more of the popular vote. They probably need a 3 or 4 point margin to win.

Grenier’s poll is starting to shift. OPC still projected to get majority of seats but range is tracking down. Dipsters now have more of the popular vote. They probably need a 3 or 4 point margin to win.

OPC knows that the shift is real, Ford is telling his supporters that these are fake polls and the media is afraid of him so they're making up fake news.

He's gone full Trump over the NDP's push.

As for Grenier's projections, I think you'll see the Conservative numbers slip hard over the next few days. Each individual poll he includes loses 35% of it's weighting each day after the poll is published. The NDP have only been behind in 1 major poll this week (Innovative Research's May 23rd release....and they're a consistent Liberal heavy outlier). OPC are starting to trend into the 33-34% range in the newest polls, with the NDP holding pretty firm at 37-38% over the last week.

On election day, I expect that the NDP will benefit most from strategic voting, moving the seat projections a little closer to the popular vote split.

So uhhh...Emmet Flood went to classified DOJ meeting discussing the Trump allegations of "spy" in his campaign. He wasn't there for long, but that is still incredibly odd.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/emmet-flood-doj-informant-briefings

The White House attorney responsible for handling its response to Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia probe was spotted heading into two Justice Department briefings Thursday for lawmakers on a reported “informant” the FBI used in its investigation of the Trump campaign.

Emmet Flood was spotted at the Justice Department, where Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and other DOJ officials were scheduled to brief House Speaker Paul Ryan, House Intel Chairman Devin Nunes and House Oversight Chairman Trey Gowdy. Rep. Adam Schiff, the top Democrat on the Intel Committee, also attended the noon briefing, after initial reports that only Republican lawmakers were invited. White House Chief of Staff John Kelly also reportedly attended at least part of the briefing.

Back