• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Which are jobs that students/young people used to do.
I don't know if you know what the modern young person is like but they ain't touching that shite with a 10' clown pole.

36004771.jpg

If today's young people wouldn't do those jobs what do they do when their jobs of choice are not available? Live off mom and dad? Food, shelter, clothing, smart phones etc. aren't free.

Millennials get a lot of flack, but they were created by their parents.

I'm sure you can draw a short, straight line from time outs, participation trophies and basically being raised in a zorb to safe spaces, trigger warnings and an inability to function in the job force.

If today's young people wouldn't do those jobs what do they do when their jobs of choice are not available? Live off mom and dad? Food, shelter, clothing, smart phones etc. aren't free.
Those that can live off parents far longer than they should usually do.

Millennials get a lot of flack, but they were created by their parents.

I'm sure you can draw a short, straight line from time outs, participation trophies and basically being raised in a zorb to safe spaces, trigger warnings and an inability to function in the job force.
Raising a whole generation of overly sensitive narcissists.

College "safe spaces" are created with overt racism in mind. They disgust me to the core. The fact that they're allowed epitomizes everything wrong in race relations. Could you imagine if whites started "safe spaces" for whites only? Right back to the days of segregation? Apparently segregation is okay if initiated by non-whites. Absolutely horrendous. More kids should protest outside these "safe spaces".

Last edited:
The proliferation and widespread acceptance of identity politics throughout the world today and the continued differentiation of people into an almost limitless number of groups and sub-groups is a massive problem to say the least.

Even within progressive communities, the degree to which they break themselves into countless meaningless descriptors is stunning.

You say that, but when you grew up during a period when you could get a manufacturing job that didn't require a high school education that was good enough to buy a house in the suburbs, support three kids, two cars, and take multiple vacations a year while allowing one's spouse to stay at home, it's not really relevant.

Today's generation is the most educated in human history, works significantly longer hours for less pay, has dealt with an absolute explosion in house pricing values, thereby necessitating long-term rental strategies, and has far less upwards mobility than preceding generations.

The proliferation and widespread acceptance of identity politics throughout the world today and the continued differentiation of people into an almost limitless number of groups and sub-groups is a massive problem to say the least.

Even within progressive communities, the degree to which they break themselves into countless meaningless descriptors is stunning.
Back in the day this was one of the reasons I didn't become a Democrat. Democrats view people in groups, I view people as individuals. Thinking that people in a minority group all need the same thing is ridiculously obtuse. Trump the Republican is now doing the same thing.

You say that, but when you grew up during a period when you could get a manufacturing job that didn't require a high school education that was good enough to buy a house in the suburbs, support three kids, two cars, and take multiple vacations a year while allowing one's spouse to stay at home, it's not really relevant.

Today's generation is the most educated in human history, works significantly longer hours for less pay, has dealt with an absolute explosion in house pricing values, thereby necessitating long-term rental strategies, and has far less upwards mobility than preceding generations.
When I was growing up I was taught that no job is beneath you if it puts food on the table and sometimes you need to start at the bottom to get to the top.

Today it seems that there is an expectation of youth that they are entitled to skip a few steps because they got a degree. They're wrong. Today's bachelors degree is yesterday's HS diploma. A masters today is yesterday's bachelors and so on. Getting a 4 year degree doesn't mean shit. You still start in the mail room.

When I was growing up I was taught that no job is beneath you if it puts food on the table and sometimes you need to start at the bottom to get to the top.

Today it seems that there is an expectation of youth that they are entitled to skip a few steps because they got a degree. They're wrong. Today's bachelors degree is yesterday's HS diploma. A masters today is yesterday's bachelors and so on. Getting a 4 year degree doesn't mean shit. You still start in the mail room.

The problem is that you have about 2,000 people applying for that one job in the mail room and employers have demonstrated a devastating unwillingness to train new hires anymore.

And most people under 30 years old that I know have worked at least several jobs that they're over-qualified for. Hell, I'm far too educated to be doing my current job, I'm underpaid, and I still do it because it beats having no job.

People of a certain vintage seem to have this bizarre concept that young people are unwilling to do entry jobs, and I've seen no evidence for that thought process. In fact, it seems to be entirely at odds with reality. Younger prospective applicants just want the opportunity in the first place.

Automation is only going to worsen the employment market in the next two decades or so. We will probably see the implementation of a universal guaranteed income at some point in our respective lifetimes.

There was always 2000 people applying for the same job. Nothing new.

If you think young people have it rough, try dealing with ageism. Some people get laid off at 40+ and eventually replaced with someone younger and cheaper. Then that person can't find a job because they're too old (read not cheap enough). The system is ****ed and yes, automation and outsourcing are the main culprits.

Kind of. More and more young dudes seem to be making peace with the idea of living in their mom's basement smoking weed and playing video games. That lifestyle is pretty affordable if your parents are softies.

By all accounts, men are getting crushed academically by the ladies.

Yep, mine think I'm much harder on them than their friend's parents. Cry me a river. Nobody taught them life was a handout.

If you think young people have it rough, try dealing with ageism. Some people get laid off at 40+ and eventually replaced with someone younger and cheaper. Then that person can't find a job because they're too old (read not cheap enough). The system is ****ed and yes, automation and outsourcing are the main culprits.

A major component of the current job market problem is a direct result of Boomers who refuse to retire. I had a friend who had to teach in the UK for two years and then sub in indigenous communities here in Ontario just to finally land a full-time teaching gig at close to 30.

And he still only got it in all likelihood because he is French qualified. The 60+ teachers just aren't retiring in the numbers that they used to. As a result, you create a huge bulge in the pipeline with all of the new accredited teachers waiting for placements to open up.

This retirement problem something seen in a plethora of other professions as well. And you can point to "ageism," but that's actually a far worse problem if you're young. You're supposed to have fifty years of experience, but if you can't get an entry job to gain experience, you're automatically unqualified. Those older workers can re-adjust their salary demands and take a lower salary and get the job. Those younger workers won't get that opportunity in the first place. It's a different kettle of fish.

This is exactly where I'm at.

Back