• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Re: OT: Canadian Politics

I need to re-evaluate my travel habits.

Don't worry, they don't enforce it. That would be a massive waste of public resources, despite the fact that many pedestrians are struck and killed by motorists annually. We're much better off using those police resources to bust weed smokers. Now that's dangerous stuff.

I need to re-evaluate my travel habits.

You could be OK, especially if you are willing to pay whatever the fine is. Also, it depends what you mean by jaywalking and what your municipal by-laws are regarding when and where you cross a street. Usually crossing against a light is a no-no, but crossing mid block is OK as long as you are not impeding traffic.

I can tell you that public intoxication citations do get issued with regularity. However the vast majority of recipients are homeless and will never pay the fine. It's also an $~80 for drinking alcohol that is not a spirit or wine. That charge always made me laugh.

Aqua-Velva and Sprite ?

When I worked in Thunder Bay the drink of choice was finesse iced tea (hairspray that's been steeped in warm water).

Now that I work back down here the locals aren't quite as inventive. Mostly just stick to listerine, hand sanitizer, and rubbing alcohol.

Omnibus in action. This was the increase in "non-reported crimes" that Stockwell Day was talking about. Besides, now that they've thrown all that money at rebuilding jails all over the place, they need to justify all that added capacity.
Of special note is the fact that the minimum sentence for pot possession is now greater than diddling a child. Conservative priorities.

link
Rick Scott attended the fundraiser held in his honor by GEO Group CEO George Zoley on Monday evening, but not before being met by a bevy of protesters.

People from Florida for All, the Dream Defenders and Dreamers Moms, as well as other protesters unaffiliated with the group, gathered outside the fundraiser carrying signs calling Scott out on his relationship with the CEO of one of the worst private prisons in the U.S.

Zoley, a longtime Scott supporter and campaign contributor, hosted a $10,000 gala in his Boca home.
So the CEO of one of America's largest PRIVATE prisons is raising money for his Tea Party right hand man. $10k / plate. Nice.

link
Toronto's police board decided today not to appoint Bill Blair to a third term as chief of the force, meaning that a search for his successor will soon be underway.

Blair had sought to renew his contract, but the board decided to go in a different direction after his second term expires in April.

Alok Mukherjee, the chair of the Toronto Police Services Board, said the decision about the chief’s future was made following a lengthy meeting of board members on Wednesday.

"It was not an easy decision and there was a great deal of consideration given before the board reached a decision," said Mukherjee, who would not disclose the outcome of the board's vote.
Ford family influence? Or was it the G20 report along with the manner in which they handled the Rob Ford fiasco that helped the board reach this decision?

Bt5DOw-IEAAq9Q1.jpg:large

Julian Fantino's riding....
The Conservatives really are doubling-down on regressive, out-of-touch bullshit in their campaigning, aren't they? I mean, seriously...multiple States in the United States of ****ing America, birthplace of the "war on drugs", are fully legalizing weed...and the Cons are still trying to use it as a scare tactic?

Back