• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: MLB Thread

Martin is not a #5 hitter on a contending team

An .825ops hitter is what you want hitting 5th. He should do that.

Reyes played 143 games last year and 160 in 2012. He's pretty reliable.

Lawrie is a concern forsure.

I mentioned that Pablo is a good fit for the Jays. They most definitely need a LFer. I mentioned that too.

However, Martin hitting 5th or 2nd is just fine. The BP will be addressed, don't worry about that.

An .825ops hitter is what you want hitting 5th. He should do that.

Reyes played 143 games last year and 160 in 2012. He's pretty reliable.

Lawrie is a concern forsure.

I mentioned that Pablo is a good fit for the Jays. They most definitely need a LFer. I mentioned that too.

However, Martin hitting 5th or 2nd is just fine. The BP will be addressed, don't worry about that.

Check his career hitting, he rode the bench with the Yanks. They are the only team to have offered that 5th year, we'll see how productive he is when he's 36/37. I don't think that club will win anything with AA there. They need to target younger guys and sign someone like Tomas who is 24.

Boston is the midst of a complete rebuild. They won't compete for a couple years at least. Toronto is one or two players away.

They have offers out to Sandoval/Lester, they will rebuild quick. Castillo also looks to be a potential stud hitter. You know which team made the playoffs 10 out of the last 20 or so years? I'll give you one guess, they don't have JAYS in their name lol..

Yeah, one or two players and 3 or 4 pitchers away.

I already mentioned that the bullpen will be addressed. In baseball bullpens are always a crap-shoot. In the 2013 Toronto had one of the best pens in baseball. That exact same group was one of the worst in 2014.

The starting rotation on the other hand was quite good in 2014.

The Jays have work to do, but with a 2B or a LF combined with the revamped pen, we will be more than competitive next season.

Baltimore's OF is in shambles currently. Tampa is rebuilding, NY and Boston are not as good as they once were.

The Jays are close. Very close.

The season last year was lost on August, when they went 9-19. Casey Janssen blew 5 saves that month. He's gone.

Yep. No chance that the Marlins pay a dime of those $31 million years. He'll be very reasonable at that salary in six years and some other team will give them a boatload of prospects for him.

OR

Loria just increased the value of his franchise by getting the franchise player signed, and now (ie the next two-three years) will be his time to sell them.

The guy always has some angle.

Russel Martin was in Montreal yesterday at his old school which was celebrating 25 years of their "sports etudes" program of which he was a graduate.

OR

Loria just increased the value of his franchise by getting the franchise player signed, and now (ie the next two-three years) will be his time to sell them.

The guy always has some angle.

You call it an angle... I call it a scam.

Check his career hitting, he rode the bench with the Yanks. They are the only team to have offered that 5th year, we'll see how productive he is when he's 36/37. I don't think that club will win anything with AA there. They need to target younger guys and sign someone like Tomas who is 24.

He didn't ride the pine at all. He played 125 games in 2011 and 133 games in 2012 with nearly 500 PA each season. You're making stuff up now.

He's done that twice in 9 years. The Jays basically need a career year out of everyone. Good luck with that.

The Jays don't need career years from Bautista, Encarnacion or Reyes. They just need them to play to their recent career norms.

Martin's career OBP is .354 -- Melky's is .339. They have the exact same career OPS and Melky's is inflated because of his .908 steroid year. Martin brings a higher WAR because of his elite defense.

With that said: They're gonna add another bat. It might still even be Melky.

Last edited:
Bolduke, how about the Red Sox and their rebuild. Apparently they have big offers out to Sandoval, Lester and now Ramirez. Would be funny if they get back into the playoffs again next year, which they should with those 3 guys, while the Blue Jays stroke around their fans again like they do ever year with their half ass attempts at trying to compete in the AL east.

Back