• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: MLB Thread

KC wins. I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind a 1-game playoff unless you are breaking division ties or something. I guess it is exciting but seems rather cruel that one team plays 162-games and then goes home after losing the next game.

KC wins. I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind a 1-game playoff unless you are breaking divsion ties or something. I guess it is exciting but seems rather cruel that one team plays 162-games and then goes home after losing the next game.

MLB wanted to add another wild-card team to keep interest high all season in most cities but you really can't have an odd number of playoffs teams. It's called having your cake and eating it too.

KC wins. I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind a 1-game playoff unless you are breaking division ties or something. I guess it is exciting but seems rather cruel that one team plays 162-games and then goes home after losing the next game.

It's a bit convoluted, but overall it works well as there's added reward for winning your division in that you don't have to play the 50/50 playoff and burn your best starter in the process.

That said, hopefully either the Giants or Pirates (aka non-annoying Pittsburgh team) win the real first round...

should have won the division in those 162 games...

It's a bit convoluted, but overall it works well as there's added reward for winning your division in that you don't have to play the 50/50 playoff and burn your best starter in the process.

That said, hopefully either the Giants or Pirates (aka non-annoying Pittsburgh team) win the real first round...

should have won the division in those 162 games...

Upon further review I guess it is not as bad as I originally thought. I guess the big change was for the initial wild card team because when it was first brought in they would jump into a series with one of the 3 division winners where as now they have been back-tracked into having to play a one-off game where they might lose and be done.

I guess when I followed baseball the talk of introducing the wild card was about allowing teams a chance at the playoffs who could not compete with the big spenders in their division but as Hoiles says a wild card team now really has it even tougher because they have the extra game where they will likely use their top starter and then have to play that likely top spending team. However I guess just being in the playoffs means you have a chance at winning it all so nobody probably cares about chances until you are eliminated.

I just hope this doesn't come to the NHL like Joffrey Lupul is raving about.

He was on twitter last night (from what I heard) talking about the excitement of the game thinking the NHL could use it.

The main worry is what the NHL brass in NY think of it all.

Back