Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Premier League Thread

Default Re: 2012-2013 Premier League Thread

I have the match DVR'd and am highly looking forward to watching it later today. I think I'll make myself a nice cup of tea and just soak it all in. We have a real team again, yay! I love that Lambert has embraced developing the youngsters even though he knows there will be growing pains. For these players to get better, they need to be out there and have the confidence that they can make mistakes and not be dropped.

Enjoy it VDC ... it was a pretty good team performance. Bannan was everywhere in midfiled, Baker and Clark were very, very good in the back, Lowton and Holman were energizer bunnies and the combo of Benteke and Weimann was just super. Liverpool spent huge chunks of the first 20 minutes and the last half hour in possession but never really looked like they'd climb back in it. Best showing of the year by fa by Villa.

Canes Moderator

That backheel was a thing of beauty. Weimann was what, 5-7 yards off the ball when the pass was made?

Quote Originally Posted by andyt View Post
    That backheel was a thing of beauty. Weimann was what, 5-7 yards off the ball when the pass was made?
    Yup and Benteke sold it like a used car salesman. He never looked back, never broke stride ... just casual as you want, he flicked it back into Andi's path with the back of his boot. Slicker than slick. And for the record, he's been playing at that level for both club and country for a couple of months now. He's looking like almost as big a bargain purchase as Michu was for Swansea ... almost, because THAT was highway robbery.

And that was the first time I've watched a Villa win in I don't even know how long. It's amazing how much Benteke has come into his own after not looking completely with it early on this season. I think part of it might have been fitness level and part of it was just adjusting to a new league, but he has quickly taken care of both issues and looks like a beast out there. He's tall, strong, good in the air, but also fluid and skilled with the ball at his feet. He and Weimann are developing a real chemistry in their strike partnership which is probably bad news for Bent (gone) and Gabby who just doesn't seem to have a place or real fit. Each group in this game seemed to play really well with each other. The three central midfielders all looked very good in their roles as did the back three who did a great job covering for each other, though they had a little bit of luck which you always need. The only player out there over the age of 24 was Holman which makes this win that much more impressive.

Canes Moderator

Arsenal thumps Reading 5-2 behind a Cazorla hat trick and moves up to 5th in the table.

What a mess from 3rd to 11th, with only 6 points separation. Chelsea and Spurs have 29, Arsenal, Everton and West Brom have 27, Norwich 25, Stoke 24 and Swans and West Ham have 23. Chelsea has only played 16 matches though because their game against Saints was postponed because of the Club Championship. 14th to 18th is only 3 points separation with Villa in 14th with 18, Newcastle at 17, Sunderland at 16 and Saints and Wigan at 15 with Saints holding a 4 goal advantage to stay out of the bottom 3.

You had to figure that West Brom would fall back to their level eventually. They're a nice side and they play very well together but their talent level just isn't top 5 stuff. Everton have to be kicking themselves for all the points they've frittered away thus far. Their level of play has been off the charts for the most part but they just keep squandering scoring chances and letting teams nip back at them to gain draws. I'm most impressed by West Ham and Norwich from that middle group. They both have been very opportunistic and effective in maximizing their opportunities for points. They both play a more direct game than people seem to favor these days, but when it works it works ... ask Stoke.

Canes Moderator

What the hell happened at Stamford Bridge today?

I stopped watching at 4-0 so I couldn't tell you. Such ends the positive string of results by Villa.

Canes Moderator

Another tough day for Villa. I kept losing possession of the remote today, but I did see Bale's 2nd and 3rd. Hard to win games when you leave someone unmarked at the spot. Guzan had no chance on either of them. Spurs move up to 4th in the table on goal difference over Everton and West Brom. Gunners are 3 points back with a game in hand as their match with West Ham was postponed. Stoke are another 2 points back after beating Liverpool.

Quick turnaround with matches on Saturday. At the top of the table, Spurs are at Sunderland, Baggies are at Old Trafford, Gunners host Newcastle, Man City is at Norwich. On Sunday, Everton hosts Chelsea. Any of Spurs, Toffees or Baggies can jump into 3rd with a Chelsea loss.

The first half was so one sided and yet remained nil nil. Villa just looked beyond flat. They need some time to recoup and regroup cause after a very nice run of form, these last two matches have been as bad as I've seen them look this year.

Ugh ... Villa celebrated that win at Anfield a little too much methinks. Two losses by a combined 12-0 score and about 15% possession between the two of them. Spurs and Chelsea are a class above Villa to be sure, but get serious boys ... that sucked.

Norwich 3-4 Manchester City
    Stoke 3-3 Southampton
    Reading 1-0 West Ham
    Manchester United 2-0 West Brom
    Aston Villa 0-3 Wigan
    Fulham 1-2 Swansea
    Sunderland 1-2 Tottenham

Another bad day for Villa i'm afraid.

Arsenal 7 - 3 Newcastle

Game was much closer than the score would suggest, Arsenal put in 3 late goals when Newcastle pushed for an equialising 4th.

Wallcott stole the show today, scored 3 and setup a couple.

Gunners had better get him signed up asap or teams are going to offer him mad money.

Quote Originally Posted by davemess View Post
    Another bad day for Villa i'm afraid.
    Yeah ... they actually played a lot better but couldn't create much while leaking in 3 against. They're up to a minus 15 in the last three matches and minus 24 total.

Canes Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by davemess View Post
    Arsenal 7 - 3 Newcastle

Game was much closer than the score would suggest, Arsenal put in 3 late goals when Newcastle pushed for an equialising 4th.

Wallcott stole the show today, scored 3 and setup a couple.

Gunners had better get him signed up asap or teams are going to offer him mad money.
    Wenger says he's not moving Walcott in January and thinks he can re-sign him soon. He said he's coming around to playing him in the middle.

Hi guys. Long time no talk to. Don't see as many Prem games as I used to since we stripped our cable to Basic + service, and don't get to the pub nearly as often.

Hoping I get to see Liverpool's match tomorrow at the pub. Been a frustrating season so far, but maybe January brings some hope.

Hope all of you are well.
    Hockey (particularly NHL) and "football" (soccer, particularly EPL) enthusiast.

Canes Moderator

Howdy stranger.

Well hello Ed. Was starting to get worried about you.

I don't understand why Benteke is offsides so often. There's no reason for him to be trying to get behind the defense as much as he does. He's much more valuable being part of the build up play, holding the ball up and winning headers which he does as well as anyone. I don't remember him playing that way during the good run of form Villa had, but these past few games I just see him trying to sit on the shoulder of the last defender, which is why Bent is out of the starting side and he's in it. I turned the match off when it got to 3-0 cause I just couldn't take it anymore.

Yeah ... Benteke's in a funk for some reason. He's trying to cut corners by sneaking through the offsides trap and getting caught more often than not. And I agree ... that's exactly why Bent's been on the sidelines. Too much individual thinking, not enough team thinking.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast