• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The F*cking Science Thread

Seriously.

You're now not just saying you believe the Big Bang is a fairytale, or that you genuinely think it's possible that black holes all of a sudden won't "exist".....now you're implying that you chalk things like the theory of special relativity or general relativity up as mythology on par with religion, simply because they use the term "theory".

Theory /= Scientific Theory.

Last edited:
Interesting.

The theory was first proposed in 1927, but was controversial until 1965, when an accidental discovery supported the theory. Today, the most advanced astronomical observations show that the big bang theory is likely true.

The big bang theory reveals that the universe came from a state of dense, hot matter, but it tells nothing about how the matter got there, or whether anything else existed before the big bang (or even if the word “before” has any meaning when you’re talking about the beginning of time.

So...what I said.

Cool.

This is exactly how creationists interpret the scientific method. Congrats Johnny.

You don't understand the language of science...

The word "theory" doesn't mean what you think it means.

I don't know. Johnny is probably just saying none of this stuff can be taken as 100% accurate as we don't know potential complexities far out in space. It would be stupid to say anything else though as obviously scientists have ways of being more accurate due to tests and experiments they do. With how big the universe is, it's pretty mind blowing even if we knew a tiny % of what is really going on. Still, all fascinating stuff and i actually like watching documentaries on this.

Seriously.

You're now not just saying you believe the Big Bang is a fairytale, or that you genuinely think it's possible that black holes all of a sudden won't "exist".....now you're implying that you chalk things like the theory of special relativity or general relativity up as mythology on par with religion, simply because they use the term "theory".

Theory /= Scientific Theory.

Actualy I did not suggest any of those things.

However, can you prove that a black hole does exist? No you can't. In fact, wouldn't a gravitational force so powerful that light can't even escape suck the rest of the expanding universe into itself? Do you even Angry Birds?

I also don't think that science and religion are equal forces. I have no time for any creationist or for creationism in any way, shape or form.

However, the big bang theory is just a theory.

Sub atomic particles behave in a way that defy physics. (LMGTFY String theory) These are not opinions, these are just facts.

You're just writing off a gigantic hole in the story, and skipping forward to what can be proven to a degree.

Big bang. Ok. What blew up? Oh..dense matter. What made it blow up? We don't know. What was there before it blew up? Yeah..we don't know that either.

You have to suspend belief to get to step 1 of the big bang theory. It's really not that different from any other BS story about the origin of the universe.

You're saying "This is what happened" when there is no possible way for anyone to make such a claim.

It is a fairy tale.

However, can you prove that a black hole does exist? No you can't. In fact, wouldn't a gravitational force so powerful that light can't even escape suck the rest of the expanding universe into itself? Do you even Angry Birds?

I also don't think that science and religion are equal forces. I have no time for any creationist or for creationism in any way, shape or form.

However, the big bang theory is just a theory.

Sub atomic particles behave in a way that defy physics. (LMGTFY String theory) These are not opinions, these are just facts.

You're just writing off a gigantic hole in the story, and skipping forward to what can be proven to a degree.

Big bang. Ok. What blew up? Oh..dense matter. What made it blow up? We don't know. What was there before it blew up? Yeah..we don't know that either.

You have to suspend belief to get to step 1 of the big bang theory. It's really not that different from any other BS story about the origin of the universe.

You're saying "This is what happened" when there is no possible way for anyone to make such a claim.

It is a fairy tale.
1. You have to suspend "disbelief."
B. You really should watch NDT's Cosmos and I also recommend Stephen Hawking's Into The Universe.

Except that's precisely what you're doing when you attempt to brush something like black holes off as "just a theory"...

Special relativity, general relativity, evolution.....are all just "theories". With a f*ckton of scientic evidence to support them.....just like black holes.

However, can you prove that a black hole does exist? No you can't.

yes, we can.

2008orbits_animfull.gif

In fact, wouldn't a gravitational force so powerful that light can't even escape suck the rest of the expanding universe into itself? Do you even Angry Birds?

Told he's trolling.

...and yet you act just like them....

It is a fairy tale.

This idea that black holes and/or the Big Bang are solely theoretically is unbelievably antiquated and outdated.

To be honest though, none of these questions really matter as far as discussing the event is concerned. As in, you don't necessarily need to know what happened "before" (nothing happened, as linear time began at that moment) to be able to determine what the event was. You can reconstruct the event from the evidence left in it's aftermath.

If you fired a gun at the wall, I wouldn't need to know what factory the gun was made at, by whom, and when to determine that a bullet was fired from a gun and struck the wall.

This idea that black holes and/or the Big Bang are solely theoretically is unbelievably antiquated and outdated.

Really?

A theory that is less than 100 years old, and also less than 50 years removed from being taken somewhat seriously is now beyond scrutiny?

What if your lady scientist is proven to be right?

You guys are going to have to do better than Seth McFarlane's Cosmos, or anything that has been on Nova for the past 15 years because I've seen it all.

Your Corsi chart of planets and stars swinging around a point in space is cool and all, but it still doesn't really prove anything.

Let's be real here. None of you are Norman Einsteins. What is gravity? Can you even tell me that?

To be honest though, none of these questions really matter as far as discussing the event is concerned. As in, you don't necessarily need to know what happened "before" (nothing happened, as linear time began at that moment) to be able to determine what the event was. You can reconstruct the event from the evidence left in it's aftermath.

If you fired a gun at the wall, I wouldn't need to know what factory the gun was made at, by whom, and when to determine that a bullet was fired from a gun and struck the wall.

On that note, we don't have a unified field theory....but we know quantum mechanics is accurate for the very small, and that general relativity is accurate for the very large.

The fact we can't reconcile the two though, doesn't mean either is a "fair tale".....as we have plenty of evidence to support both....we simply don't know how to unify them yet (hence string theory & loop quantum theory).

Johnny seems to be under the belief that by not knowing literally everything.....we can't know anything.

Really?

A theory that is less than 100 years old, and also less than 50 years removed from being taken somewhat seriously is now beyond scrutiny?

You guys are going to have to do better than Seth McFarlane's Cosmos, or anything that has been on Nova for the past 15 years because I've seen it all.

Your Corsi chart of planets and stars swinging around a point in space is cool and all, but it still doesn't really prove anything.

Let's be real here. None of you are Norman Einsteins. What is gravity? Can you even tell me that?

k96Cn.gif

Really?

Well only the last 50/100 years really matter when it comes to science.

That's not to say that there weren't thousands of amazing discoveries from prior to that, but if they can't withstand the scrutiny of the current scientific community/technology then they are useless.

I'd be more likely to be skeptical of theories from 500, 1000 or 5000 years ago than theories proven/accepted in the past 50-100.

Well only the last 50/100 years really matter when it comes to science.

That's not to say that there weren't thousands of amazing discoveries from prior to that, but if they can't withstand the scrutiny of the current scientific community/technology then they are useless.

I'd be more likely to be skeptical of theories from 500, 1000 or 5000 years ago than theories proven/accepted in the past 50-100.

In another 100 years the big bang theory might be side by side with the flat earth.

Post some evidence that discounts black holes...that would be more interesting and fruitful, Johnny. Of course your sole piece will likely be some math that no one here can even attempt to peer review.

In another 100 years the big bang theory might be side by side with the flat earth.

Please stop comparing ancient common misconceptions with carefully constructed scientific models that hold up under repeated and tireless experiment.

Back