• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Fanboy fight: XBox V Playstation

Anyone familiar with the Nintendo Switch?

My kid's been asking for it. She already has a PS4. What's the difference besides portability?
Only other difference is the switch only games. Zelda and Mario.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tried the raid once (pre expansion) . But once I realized power level does not actually mean anything I lost interest.

Power level means a ton...accomplishing Prestige mode or Challenge mode raids without Max light level is damn near impossible.

As is doing the new raid underleveled.

They made is so that once you are 270, you're basically good to go, so that theore casual gamer can at least jump in and enjoy the raid without getting squashed too badly.. Not sure how that'd stop anyone from enjoying it tho.....seems like a bizarre thing to bow out over, before even completing it.

They have to straddle a thin tightrope of making it simple enough for the casual fan to get in an experience.....while having higher difficulty stuff for the more advanced gamers to continue with.

If you're just running the normal raid at Max light level over and over tho....yeah, you'd have kind of defeat the purpose of reaching the light cap

Last edited:
Did you play the Raids?

For me, Destiny Raids have been some of the most difficult/strategic/satisfying/rewarding video game experiences ive had in 30+ years of gaming.

Getting 6 people together to topple their new Raid Lair this past week was definitely a gaming highlight of the year for me....up there with Horizon Zero Dawn & Uncharted 4, Top notch stuff. (Although as great as those two were, neither gave me the rush of exhilaration D2 did upon that first raid clear)

Playing D2 and only really doing the story is missing the heart of the game.....if games like Overwatch & the first BattleFront are primarily PvP only games......Destiny for me is built around their Raids. They just happen to also have tons of PvP, Stories, Quests, etc also tossed in to do.

If one is playing it by themselves tho, I can imagine itd die out pretty quick......getting together with buddies for a Nightfall Prestige Strike... or Trials of The Nine PvP on weekends? Or 5 friends to run a raid beginning to end tho?...that's top notch, imo.
The end game is pretty weak for destiny 2 and the pvp is just brutal. Though that laser gun was fun for a few matches last week.

As a person that is not great at fps the nightfall and raid disappoint. Eg. Nightfall. I know I'm not great so I waited to get my power level to 280 or so to try it (recommended is 240). After wondering why it was just as hard at 280 as 305 I decided to Google it. I was crushed. Power level is basically meaningless. Meaning that doing the weeklies to improve gear was pointless. The fun I enjoyed in any game like this was the progression. Having that not really matter really ruined it for me.

If you are on ps4 and want to carry me add canadaworm1 :)

Power level means a ton...accomplishing Prestige mode or Challenge mode raids without Max light level is damn near impossible.

As is doing the new raid underleveled.

They made is so that once you are 270, you're basically good to go, so that theore casual gamer can at least jump in and enjoy the raid without getting squashed too badly.. Not sure how that'd stop anyone from enjoying it tho.....seems like a bizarre thing to bow out over, before even completing it.

They have to straddle a thin tightrope of making it simple enough for the casual fan to get in an experience.....while having higher difficulty stuff for the more advanced gamers to continue with.

If you're just running the normal raid at Max light level over and over tho....yeah, you'd have kind of defeat the purpose of reaching the light cap
Underlevel sure. But it is damn simple to reach the recommended lvl. So really there is no point for me. I'm not good enough to beat regular nightfall so prestige does not matter to me. The new heroic strikes might be worth checking out.

I get how some might enjoy it but honestly you are the first person I have come across that has enjoyed the endgame.

I guess it's because I play with people who primarily Raid....but I've seen nothing but gushing for the Raid Lair.

Argos is one of the best final fights Bungie has created.

I'm not good enough to beat regular nightfall

Yeah if you can't beat the Nightfall, you can't beat the raid......light level is the last of your issues in that case.

Me & my buddies couldn't beat the Nightfall initially either....or the Raid....for us that is the fun, running in to something seemingly impossible to beat, then solving how to finally overcome it.

We also blind raid...so we're in it to solve the raid puzzles/fights ourselves.....but that's what makes it the most challenging/satisfying thing available on console.

The end game is pretty weak for destiny 2 and the pvp is just brutal. Though that laser gun was fun for a few matches last week.

As a person that is not great at fps the nightfall and raid disappoint. Eg. Nightfall. I know I'm not great so I waited to get my power level to 280 or so to try it (recommended is 240). After wondering why it was just as hard at 280 as 305 I decided to Google it. I was crushed. Power level is basically meaningless. Meaning that doing the weeklies to improve gear was pointless. The fun I enjoyed in any game like this was the progression. Having that not really matter really ruined it for me.

If you are on ps4 and want to carry me add canadaworm1 :)

Ahhh...see I have never heard that. I guess I was just getting better as I went from 280-305 so I felt like my power level must have been part of the reason.

I'd definitely help take you through a Nightfall sometime....depending on partners (and which Nightfall it is) we sometimes take an attempt or two to beat it.

If you're down for a long session sometime on a weekend, I'd for sure be down to get a group together for raiding.

In the Oryx raid one of the more enjoyable things I started doing was Sherpa'd people through their first clears.

I guess it's because I play with people who primarily Raid....but I've seen nothing but gushing for the Raid Lair.

Argos is one of the best final fights Bungie has created.

Yeah if you can't beat the Nightfall, you can't beat the raid......light level is the last of your issues in that case.

Me & my buddies couldn't beat the Nightfall initially either....or the Raid....for us that is the fun, running in to something seemingly impossible to beat, then solving how to finally overcome it.

We also blind raid...so we're in it to solve the raid puzzles/fights ourselves.....but that's what makes it the most challenging/satisfying thing available on console.

Power level is the concern as I explained to you. Being a higher level should mean I take less damage and do more damage. As it did in D1. But because that is not the case there is not much point in doing any of the milestones. Which is the underlying problem. I did the 3 powerful quest milestones until I got my two characters to 295 and 300. There was no point in doing that.

You seem to be more into the hardcore so you have the time to blind raid, etc. Back in the day I might have enjoyed that. Seems like outside of doing the raid there is also nothing else for you to do.

Maybe I unfairly compare it to other games that give casual, occasional, hardcore, and super hardcore something to do.

The casual vs hardcore could be solved pretty easily IMO.

For the hardcore - more end game content to give them something to do when not raiding. Looking for rolls, etc.

For casual make overleveling mean something. That does two things. Gives progression to keep somebody coming back to do random milestones, farming, etc. It also lets us casuals have a chance to beat nightfall.

Ahhh...see I have never heard that. I guess I was just getting better as I went from 280-305 so I felt like my power level must have been part of the reason.

I'd definitely help take you through a Nightfall sometime....depending on partners (and which Nightfall it is) we sometimes take an attempt or two to beat it.

If you're down for a long session sometime on a weekend, I'd for sure be down to get a group together for raiding.

In the Oryx raid one of the more enjoyable things I started doing was Sherpa'd people through their first clears.

Haha. I think we are on the same page now.

Not sure I will have time for a long session until after xmas.

Glad to hear the raids are fun. My one buddy has said they are more about strategy than skill. So that is good for me if that is true.

Yeah for me the story, the quests, the adventures, the public events, weekday PvP, Nightfalls, are the casual stuff......then when I got all the gear I want, I move most of my play into the endgame content...Raids, Trials, etc.

I still love the Heroic Strikes playlists tho.....played with two buddies the other day and ripped through a bunch. Was great.

Plus now with the expansion there's new weapon quests with Brother Vance, new Exotics to land, and the new Masterworks program they have....so I'll be doing the more casual stuff again.

....and now that you mention it, re:LL....in retrospect I guess it really was much more about the gear & kind of getting a mastery of gameplay mechanics that helps more than anything.

Getting Orphius Rig boots so you constantly have tether as a Hunter, and can always clear mobs.....getting the Sins of the Past Rocket Launche, with cluster bombs, from the raid, getting coldheart/sweet business exotics, etc...just suble things like that to optimize loadout for the encounters. That kind of thing definitely makes the biggest difference.

Ya. I have barely played since the expansion. The heroic strikes interest me a lot. Appears they are between strikes and nightfall in terms of difficulty. So a good update.
Did you beat the rat king quest from vanilla?

I have made my son ask for the switch with Zelda and Mario Kart... he also wants splatoon 2. The real reason though is I want to play Zelda... it actually will be my first Zelda game EVER. The last nintendo console I had was the snes.

I did, it was a sonofabitch....had to wait for just the right combo of Nightfall/modifiers to be able to pull it off. Took quite a while.....haven't really found a good use for it yet tho. I need to do some research on it to see if they've discovered an ideal encounter to use it at.

Also got an exotic raid shotgun that levels up each time you complete the raid...which is kind of cool.

Heroic Strikes are great....lots of loot dropping from them, and Xur is going to be selling a three of coins type buff again where you can increase your odds of exotic drops from them.

I have made my son ask for the switch with Zelda and Mario Kart... he also wants splatoon 2. The real reason though is I want to play Zelda... it actually will be my first Zelda game EVER. The last nintendo console I had was the snes.

Haha. That is awesome.

Please report back on zelda. Curious how it plays for a non zelda nerd.

Glad to hear the raids are fun. My one buddy has said they are more about strategy than skill. So that is good for me if that is true.

For sure, skill alone gets you no where without a solid strategy & communication amongst teammates.

A big part of the fun I find is learning the strategy but then practicing it to the point it becomes second nature, and then if there are any breakdowns figuring out how to improvise on the fly to cover for fallen teammates & get the strategy back on track.

I think that's where some people can get turned off on raids....you really need a lot of patience, because one or two weak links can foul it all up, so you can play perfectly but still wipe every time if someone else is failing.....so it's all about communicating & problem solving how to help out your teammates so they can make it through. If you have even 1 ******* in the group it can sour the whole thing.

Good group of 6 tho, with the patience to work together until you beat it.....as good as console gaming gets for me, personally.

Curse of Osiris Raid Lair fight is really fantasy and isn't as time consuming on the whole, as previous full length raids so it's much more convenient to play. If it goes on sale at all over the holidays I'd recommend grabbing it, as it's one of their best final boss encounters yet.

Curse Of Osiris is very weak.

puts a lot of pressure on the spring update to improve things.

This does not bother me as much. I know it has been getting a bunch of hate. Why do I have to pay $20 or whatever for this. But meh.

My problem is these seem to have to spend a bunch of time fixing stuff as opposed to adding stuff. Hopefully that changes going forward.

Back