• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

P.K. Subban

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to believe that the way these contract discussions have gone aren't race related. Because there's a ton of things that PK gets shit on all year round because he's black & non-conformist. If he was more of an oreo like Wayne Simmonds or Jarome Iginla, he'd get no flak at all. No doubt about it.

But I don't know man, there's something really, really fishy about this whole thing

Put it this way: there are other black players and there are other outspoken, non-conformist players but there's only one black, outspoken, non-conformist player and it's PK. Therrien can't handle one or both of those things.

What gets me is that Bergevin was, during his playing days, a bit of an oddball himself. You'd have thought he'd see a kindred spirit in PK. But let's face it. You don't get to be the GM of a team by being odd. You get it by being a buttoned-down corporate yes man.

Maybe PK wanted nothing to do with a 7-8 year deal...

Okay...

My post was under the assumption that he did. I don't actually know so I can only go on my assumptions. If there wasn't a long term deal on the table then disregard my post on the matter.

no player in his right mind passes up 8 years of security,

When he knows he has 29 other options that would be lining up to give him security and more money then he may be thinking otherwise.

Who knows where his head is right now with his popularity higher then it has ever been

Hm, yes, selling more Subban jerseys/tshirts etc.. does help the habs. It isn't just 'local' fans buying that. It wasn't that long ago that this franchise didn't have sell outs, so yes, some people do go to see a player like Subban. Subban does help them achieve the sell out and ability to sell at a high ticket price. Subban increases habs exposure, that means extra money, from him wearing the jersey at the all star game, to him being in commericals. Directly, it benefits him the most, but it brings exposure to the habs and sometimes outside of Montreal. Way way way more than any difference that MB thinks he's trying to save on the cap. I rather find a Eller replacement who makes 500k less or signing markov to 500k less, to make up for this so called difference. Either way, MB is playing hardball with the wrong guy on this team.

I agree that MB is screwing with the wrong guy. But I have a hard time believing that they care about getting exposure outside of Montreal at the exact same time that their games will no longer be available outside the Montreal region. Last season I could get all 82 games. Next season I can't and I've heard nothing from the Habs front office about how they plan to rectify this so that all of their fans can get access to them. Why are they not demanding that TVA Sports be made available from coast to coast? Why are the regional games on RDS being blacked out? Increased exposure doesn't seem to be a priority for them.

When he knows he has 29 other options that would be lining up to give him security and more money then he may be thinking otherwise.

Who knows where his head is right now with his popularity higher then it has ever been

no other team can give him eight years.

I agree that MB is screwing with the wrong guy. But I have a hard time believing that they care about getting exposure outside of Montreal at the exact same time that their games will no longer be available outside the Montreal region. Last season I could get all 82 games. Next season I can't and I've heard nothing from the Habs front office about how they plan to rectify this so that all of their fans can get access to them. Why are they not demanding that TVA Sports be made available from coast to coast? Why are the regional games on RDS being blacked out? Increased exposure doesn't seem to be a priority for them.

They and other teams don't seem to care, they are raking in the devil's money from that deal.

So what is the endgame then? Do they want to win a Cup or are they pre-occupied with what it will cost? Because if that's their thinking then we may as well rename the team the Montreal Maple Leafs. Winning is the only thing that matters. It costs whatever it costs. When you have a license to print money like this team does you come off looking petty and cheap when you focus on the cost of things rather than on the value of things. Whatever PK is asking for is an amount of money that the Habs can easily pay. And if, in the process, other players like Galchenyuk also wind up cashing in when their time comes then so be it. As long as you're winning whatever you have to spend is worth it.

The fans who pay the freight want a winner. Subban can help us get there. So pay him ffs!

I cannot believe that Bergevin is behind all this at this point......Molson is calling the shots if we are where we are at this point.

I could have believed that Bergevin made the decision 2 years ago to do the bridge contract to get flexibility, but what was allowed to happen today was just stupid, and no GM would go this far.....but an owner can.

Bergevin wants to keep his GM gig for a long time, so he wants to have PK on his team for a long time.....again, no GM would cause such a big fiasco over 1 mil.....but an owner would possibly

Every once in a while you have a player who is worth whatever he asks for. Subban is that player. You can find any number of players to replace Desharnais, Pacioretty, or Plekanec. But there are only a handful of players out there who could replace PK and I'd be willing to bet that pretty much all of them have no-trade clauses which rule out going to Montreal.

FYP

Your rule doesn't apply if you think you're a superstar and taking less years now might mean an additional small fortune later.

you might be right, but unless he is a great actor and has lied directly to us, he loves Montreal, the team, the city, the franchise and doesn't want to play elsewhere.

Every once in a while you have a player who is worth whatever he asks for. Subban is that player. You can find any number of players to replace Desharnais, Pacioretty, or Plekanec. But there are only a handful of players out there who could replace PK and I'd be willing to bet that pretty much all of them have no-trade clauses which rule out going to Montreal.

If only he weren't so uppity, he would have his money.

:couch

What if the arbitrator awards PK less than 7 mil.....Bergevin becomes a genius all of a sudden.....even if he awards PK less than 8 mil, Bergy still comes out looking good

That's the closest definition of dumb I've seen.

What is dumb? Roy was a tremendous student of the game, when stats weren't in, he did used it to get an advantage as player, one of the greatest competitors the game has ever seen, but pure athlete? Not even close to Subban, not as strong, not as agile, not as nimble - not even close.

Subban is ther best pure athlete in the NHL, can't think of another player out there today who can pull off some of his low radius turns & athletic moves on the ice, but yes he does lack in the natural hockey IQ department. PC or not, like it or not, the black athlete will always be a far superior natural athlete to his caucasian counterpart - always. There has yet to be caucasian counterpart to Bo Jackson - some 30 yrs after the fact.

What if the arbitrator awards PK less than 7 mil.....Bergevin becomes a genius all of a sudden.....even if he awards PK less than 8 mil, Bergy still comes out looking good

I have a really hard time seeing the arbitration award being less than Weber's three years ago. If it was, I'd hate to hear what they said about him in that hearing.

What is dumb? Roy was a tremendous student of the game, when stats weren't in, he did it as playe, one of the greatest competitors the game has ever seen, but pure thlete? Not even close to Subban, not as strong, not as agile, not as nimble - not even close.

Subban is also good to give breakaways. Pretty athletic about it too.

It really doesn't matter what the arbitrator gives him. It's a one year deal for a RFA. It's not buying any UFA years. It's likely only going to be in the $7.5m range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back