• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2013-14 Premier League Thread

Final from St. Mary's
Southampton 0-3 Liverpool

The scoreline flatters Liverpool. Thought that Southampton, after the 20th minute of the match, largely outplayed my Reds. But it's nice to keep a clean sheet for once, and Suarez is back in the goal column, too. With Arsenal losing and Man City idle, we leapfrog into 2nd. For now. :)

Happy for the Villan fans, as that win takes them 7 points clear of relegation. Watched part of the Spurs/Cardiff fixture. That was a win that the Spurs had to work hard for, which is what good teams have to do at times.

Last edited:
Happy for the Villan fans, as that win takes them 7 points clear of relegation.

Yeah ... real bolt from the blue. Not only do they get their first good result in a long bloody time, they finally look to have gotten Benteke's engine re-started. It's been coming for a couple of weeks as he's gotten more and more involved up front, but he finally converted more than he threw away. Thank goodness ... they sure did need it.

And BTW ... Chelsea is starting to set up camp at the top of the table. Aresenal has done the inevitable and started to silde for real, while only Liverpool seems up to even mustering a challenge to Chelsea. It's a four point lead right now ... and if they increase it in the next two weeks, look for them to run away and hide.

Matchweek 29. Only 5 matches because of the FA Cup quarters with Arsenal, Hull, Sunderland, Man City and Everton playing in those matches.

West Brom v. Man U 7:45 NBCSN
Cardiff v. Fulham 10:00 NBCSN
Crystal Palace v. Southampton 10:00
Norwich v. Stoke 10:00
Chelsea v. Tottenham 12:30 NBCSN

West Brom 0-3 Man U
Cardiff 3-1 Fulham
Crystal Palace 0-1 Southampton
Norwich 1-1 Stoke
Chelsea 4-0 Spurs

Fulham are a freaking dumpster fire (skip fire for our European based friends). They've plummeted to a minus 36 goal diff and now are getting hammered even by fellow relegation zone clubs. They've been so solid for so long it's almost sad to see them flounder around. Almost.

And for the record, I really do believe that Chelsea's going to run and hide with the league crown. They've kind of been threatening to make a run all season, but Mourinho has them playing his game now and they look the part.

Fulham just got old imo, too many players there for too long without bringing in younger legs to do the running.

Man City should win the league but this arrogance they seem to have against smaller teams (thinking they just have to turn up) is going to cost them I think.

Fulham just got old imo, too many players there for too long without bringing in younger legs to do the running.

Man City should win the league but this arrogance they seem to have against smaller teams (thinking they just have to turn up) is going to cost them I think.

The one thing that may work in Man City's favor is that they're probably done in the UCL after this week and can concentrate on the league with a chance at their first ever Double (even if the Capital One Cup really doesn't count). Chelsea will probably advance, needing a win or scoreless draw against Galatasaray at the Bridge to advance. But Chelsea have an easier remaining schedule in the league. Of their remaining 9 fixtures, they only have Arsenal and Liverpool among the contenders. Man City have 12 matches left and have matches at Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton and Man U.

And bigger IMO, is the fact that Chelsea are on one of those quiet rolls that Maurinho's teams get on when they're good. Once he gets the train on the rails, it takes some serious force to dislodge them. I really see Chelsea rolling out the season atop the table.

Of course, I probably just guaranteed that won't happen by typing it. I am the single worst predictor of these things on earth. You could make serious bank by booking the opposite of my predictions every season.

Matchweek 30, all 20 teams in action. If you're looking at the schedule on a non-US website, don't forget that England is now 4 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time.

Saturday:
Hull v. Man City 8:45 NBCSN
Everton v. Cardiff 11:00
Fulham v. Newcastle 11:00
Southampton v. Norwich 11:00
Stoke v. West Ham 11:00
Sunderland v Crystal Palace 11:00 NBCSN
Swansea v. West Brom 11:00
Aston Villa v. Chelsea 1:30 NBCSN

Sunday:
Man U v. Liverpool 9:30 NBCSN
Tottenham v. Arsenal 12:00 NBCSN

Biggest matches on Sunday. Man U fighting to stay relevant, Liverpool climbing to 2nd over the last few weeks. The league did Man U no favors by moving this game to Sunday; they have the 2nd leg UCL match against Olympiakos at home on Wednesday and they're 2 goals behind on the aggregate. The other match is the 3rd North London Derby of the year. They met in the league in September and in the FA Cup in January, both at the Emirates, both clean sheets for Arsenal. Gunners have hit their slump, only getting 8 of their last 18 points and winless in their last 3 on the road. Spurs are fighting for a UCL spot and trail Man City by 4 points, but Man City has 3 matches in hand.

Villa finally get a slot on NBCSN and I'm going to be in Greensboro for the ACC Tourney ... perfect. They'll probably upset Chelsea just to further rub it in.

Need a result vs. ManU, preferably all three points. A win would make a statement about our chances of staying in the top four. A draw doesn't hurt, but a loss does.

I think Chelsea vs. Liverpool at Anfield will decide the league (though I'm notoriously awful when it comes to predictions, too, Jeff). If Chelsea wins or draws, they win the league. If Liverpool wins, they have a shot (though there is that other home fixture vs. Manchester City to worry about).

Villa finally get a slot on NBCSN and I'm going to be in Greensboro for the ACC Tourney ... perfect. They'll probably upset Chelsea just to further rub it in.

Yeah, I planned on watching a lot more of the villa matches online since they're all there, but for some reason while I hook up the hdmi from my computer to the tv, the video goes through, but the sound just comes through the computer speakers which only seems to happen for the nbc online thingy and that's just annoying enough.

Today's scores

Hull 0 - 2 Man City FT
Everton 2 - 1 Cardiff FT
Fulham 1 - 0 Newcastle FT
Southampton 4 - 2 Norwich FT
Stoke 3 - 1 West Ham FT
Sunderland 0 - 0 Crystal Palace FT
Swansea 1 - 2 West Brom FT

And oh yeah, the one that matters the most
Aston Villa 1 - 0 Chelsea FT

Thank you, Villans, for giving us Reds fans some hope. BTW, Ramires should be flogged for deliberately stepping on El Ahmadi. Of course, you could have said the same for Suarez when he stepped on that Russian player a few years back in Europa.

Chelsea officials denied a report that Mourinho and Terry tried to storm the officials room. Reds fans complain about Harold Webb, but Chris Foy has sent off 6 Chelsea players in the last 8 Blues matches he's worked.

Man U 0 - 3 Liverpool

Spurs 0 - 1 Arsenal

Ladies & Gents we officially have a four-way title race....... its game on.

Man City has 3 matches in hand on Chelsea and 2 on Arsenal and Liverpool. Here is what the top 4 have left:

Chelsea (8 left) - Arsenal (3/22), at Crystal Palace, Stoke, at Swansea, Sunderland, at Liverpool (4/27), Norwich, at Cardiff. With a win or scoreless draw against Galatasaray on Tuesday, they also advance in the UCL

Liverpool (9 left) - at Cardiff, Sunderland, Spurs, at West Ham, Man City (4/13), Norwich, Chelsea, at Crystal Palace, Newcastle

Arsenal (9 left) - at Chelsea, Swansea, Man City (3/29), at Everton, West Ham, at Hull, Newcastle, West Brom, Norwich. Those first 3 are in a calendar week. They also have the FA Cup semifinal against Wigan on 4/12, between Everton and West Ham.

Man City (11 left) - Fulham, at Man U, at Arsenal, Southampton, at Liverpool, Sunderland, West Brom, at Crystal Palace, at Everton, Aston Villa, West Ham. They have 3 weeks where they'll play 3 games. Only the matches against Southampton and Crystal Palace are not part of a compressed schedule.

Arsenal trails all 4 by a substantial margin on goal differential. While Liverpool has scored the most goals, they've also allowed the most among the top 4. It's going to be a wild finish.

Back