• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2013-2014 Miscellaneous League News and Discussions

Its sometimes difficult to determine intent with kneeing penalties. If Cooke had viciously boarded someone from behind I could see him getting 10 games with his history, even if he's been mostly trouble free over the past few years. I think you have it right Kahuna....3-5 games. I would lean toward 5 since he has been in trouble for intent to injure many more times than your typical player.

He SHOULD get at least 10 games. I THINK he will get 5 games. He is getting an in person hearing, which is required if the suspension could be greater than 5 games. So if you are of the opinion that he should get a sizable suspension, the fact its an in person hearing means it possible it could be bigger than 5 games.

Last edited:
He's been suspended 6 times, the last was in March 2011 when he got 10 regular season and 7 playoff games for elbowing Ryan McDonagh. That brought his career total to 25 regular season and 7 playoff games missed. Don't forget, he wasn't suspended for the hit on Marc Savard in 2010. He won't be considered a repeat offender because his last suspension was more than 18 months ago. As best as I can tell, this would be his first for a knee on knee hit.

On Matt Cooke, he's also gotten away with bloody murder in the past. Lest we forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nig2naN8NTs

Although it was accumalitive, one could be enough to end a career. Where is Savard now?

It won't happen, but I would ban Cooke from the NHL. Be it first time he's knee'd anyone or not - from the replay it looks like he even lifted his skate off the ice a brief moment before settling it back and contact was made. To me he was definitely targetting the knee. (and this isn't the first time he's tried to injure...BAN HIM!)

I believe I mentioned Savard. Nice to see you're reading my posts. :wink. I kid, I kid.

Where is Savard now? Out of the league since being concussed by Matt Hunwick, 10 months after Cooke nailed him.

It irritates me no end that his prior history won't be considered. I'd take him out for the duration of the playoffs and the first 25 games of the next season.

Last edited:
If Cooke is back in the playoffs, regardless of how far the Wild make it, it will be a travesty! Anything less than 20 games is a joke. That's why I think 5 is the most he'll get.

I believe I mentioned Savard. Nice to see you're reading my posts. :wink. I kid, I kid.

Where is Savard now? Out of the league since being concussed by Matt Hunwick, 10 months after Cooke nailed him.

It irritates me no end that his prior history won't be considered. I'd take him out for the duration of the playoffs and the first 25 games of the next season.

:)
I did see your post after posting mine, thought it cool that I wasn't alone to think of Savard. Great minds... ? ;)

Carcillo just became my favorite non-Canes player. Awesome love-in with Flyer fan after his 3rd period goal.

FlyersFan.gif

Brings back long ago memories of Matthew Barnaby scoring against the Whalers and then interacting with a front row Whalers fan with a big smile on his face. Nothing better for a low scoring tough guy than sticking it to the opposition fans like that. Considering that Carcillo spent productive time in Philly being a pain in the ass I'm sure that was a sweet moment for him especially considering that goal was all about hustle.

I really need the Rangers to win that series, not because I like them but I just despise the Flyers. The sooner they are gone from the postseason the better.

Last edited:
[video=youtube;b6zKd50N9ck]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qIjEQHMjNcM[/video]

Remember this? Never noticed it much before, but even there you see Cooke's dirty play, looks like he tried/succeeded in planting an elbow into Kane's back, right between the shoulder Blades. Was nice to see justice served.

Reason for edit: Found a better quality clip

Last edited:
Remember this? Never noticed it much before, but even there you see Cooke's dirty play, looks like he tried/succeeded in planting an elbow into Kane's back, right between the shoulder Blades. Was nice to see justice served.

No I don't. In those days, Cooke's douchebaggery knew no bounds and it was impossible to keep up with. Thanks for posting, it's good to see what happens when you pick on the wrong guy.

No I don't. In those days, Cooke's douchebaggery knew no bounds and it was impossible to keep up with. Thanks for posting, it's good to see what happens when you pick on the wrong guy.

Since his latest incident, I have been amazed of all the footage of just how many times he's injured a player. Come on NHL - ban this guy.

Or shall we let him continue to weave his 'magic' and potentially, probably end more hockey playing careers. Keep the Crosbys or the Cookes?

Good trade. Two "less than perfect contracts" for players whose time with their current teams has come to a close.

Contractually this is a good fit. Not sure how Kane would feel about playing here and if playing here how he'd respond. Hard to say. He's definitely got talent, hard to think he'd not find a natural place in our top six, either on the LW with Staal and Semin or with J. Staal and somebody. Would be good if he could play opposite wing.

Who out of our current wingers can play the opposite wing? Do any of them? Effectively?

I'd give him the rest of the playoffs and then the first ten games of next season.

Plus, I'd put him on double-secret probation

Plus, community service providing meals to Savard

Plus, a public square tomato pelting!

Then I'd sic Kane on him again.

Who out of our current wingers can play the opposite wing? Do any of them? Effectively?

Nathan Gerbe shoots left but played right wing for the Sabres at times. And, a lot of his most dangerous shots come from that right-side crease area.

Gerbe was Chad LaRose level over-slotted into our top six this past season, although performing Chad LaRose well there, so good on him for that. However, if any of the LW's need to get out of the way, it's probably him.

Back