• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2013-2014 Miscellaneous League News and Discussions

Well let's see, Big Joe has always produced pretty much during the regular season. His team has year in year out been 'contenders' and are perpetual failures in the P-O's. Hasn't won a cup.
Contrast that with Eric, won a cup, doesn't particular put up monster numbers (outside of his cussion season playing with all that depth we had in 06)... hasn't helped us much make the playoffs, but when he does, he's been pretty good.
End result is more or less the same though...over paid, under achieving.
Yeah, I'd have done this (taken the C) last season or even the one before. I know this was discussed ad nauseum last season...but after reading that article made me think it wouldn't be such a bad thing and actually would support the orgs position on him - get it together or we're going to move you (try to)

At this point I wish the Canes would find somebody else to wear the C just so a goodly chunk of the fan base could find something else to worry about.

No offense to anybody on the board, but people fixate on that C way too much. If you don't have a solid GROUP of leaders in the room, then it doesn't matter who wears letters.

At this point I wish the Canes would find somebody else to wear the C just so a goodly chunk of the fan base could find something else to worry about.

No offense to anybody on the board, but people fixate on that C way too much. If you don't have a solid GROUP of leaders in the room, then it doesn't matter who wears letters.

+ infinity

I don't really care who wears it but I think it's a good idea to start clean every season and make someone earn it. Otherwise, complacency takes over and we all know what that is like.

and what kind of justification do you find in a trade like that?

in other words, why would we do that?

Sorry I'm way late on this... but that was kinda my point. Jeff was saying that Eric's deal turned out to be bad for the Canes. My point was that even at his cap hit I'd still take him on my team... and I'd even be willing to give up a guy with a good contract who is quite valuable.

Ergo, even if Subban's deal is "too high" it's still most likely to be a very good signing unless he completely falls apart.

Ok, take Staals, C away. Who is he replaced with? Who are the contenders?
Staal the younger?
Gleason?
Hainsey?
Rosie?
Dwyer?

Yeah, back to that "solid GROUP of leaders" thing that jeffbear mentioned and andyt seconded. Pretty thin candidate pool.

In my opinion, it would be less detrimental to room chemistry to try to make the Captain be more captain-like via effective mentoring by a couple of ex-captains we still have around than to shuffle the cards and hope some new leader emerges.

As disappointed as I am in Eric's captaincy, I'd be hard pressed to even name one legit alternative candidate right now.

Last edited:
Yeah, back to that "solid GROUP of leaders" thing that jeffbear mentioned and andyt seconded. Pretty thin candidate pool.

In my opinion, it would be less detrimental to room chemistry to try to make the Captain be more captain-like via effective mentoring by a couple of ex-captains we still have around than to shuffle the cards and hope some new leader emerges.

As disappointed as I am in Eric's captaincy, I'd be hard pressed to even name one legit alternative candidate right now.

I can't wait until camp starts so we can talk about hockey instead of psychology.

Last edited:
To me, a lot of hockey (and sports in general) is psychological.

Retain one good sports psychologist, and the whole team could be made marginally "better".

I can't wait until camp starts so we can talk about hockey instead of psychology.

Hear here, dog days almost done. Wait, it is going to be 100 degrees tomorrow here in north FL, (seems a lot like ALL summer this year). One month from now all this is by the way side.

Back