• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2014 - 2015 Season

Can someone tell me where bridge deals are mandated? Why should any player be required to take a two year contract? If he is injured during those two years and can no longer play, he is screwed big time.

The hard part for the players is that most GMs do not sign players to offer sheets. If Johansen waits long enough, he will get one.

Why should a team take a long term financial/cap risk with a player that still needs to prove themselves? Maybe not Johansen, he's bordering on elite. But risk cuts both ways.

Can someone tell me where bridge deals are mandated? Why should any player be required to take a two year contract? If he is injured during those two years and can no longer play, he is screwed big time.

The hard part for the players is that most GMs do not sign players to offer sheets. If Johansen waits long enough, he will get one.

Ummm... did you not see the 6 and 8 year offers?

Why should a team take a long term financial/cap risk with a player that still needs to prove themselves? Maybe not Johansen, he's bordering on elite. But risk cuts both ways.

He's bordering on elite potential... but really he scored 63 points in 82 games last year. That's just good.

We know this much, Columbus was a bubble team with him, without him, they drop likely out of the playoffs. That is the hammer he has over them.

Well considering JD actually went on record with that I can't see how they wouldn't be. It would be far to easy for Johansen's camp to dispute.

how could you dispute it, he says they did, they say he didn't, that wouldn't solve anything.

Davidson is way too emotional about it. It shows it is not going well for him, that he is desperate as he knows his team will sink without him. He also knows in the end, he will have to pay him. Like most cornered beasts, he is lashing out.

Two years ago, Bergevin didn't lash out like this. He remained stubborn and cold hearted and rammed the 2 year bridge deal up Subban's ass. Davidson is letting his emotions get in the way. While I appreciate his honesty that he is taking this position because he can, it won't do wonders for his relationship with Johansen long term. While Bergevin clearly was not enamoured with Subban and ordered Therrien to **** with him, he didn't say anything publicly so he never had to lose face.

how could you dispute it, he says they did, they say he didn't, that wouldn't solve anything.
Except they haven't even said that CBJ didn't make those offers. It's actually ridiculous to think that JD was lying. Now if they said he was lying then you could have an argument... but they haven't said any such thing.

Davidson is way too emotional about it. It shows it is not going well for him, that he is desperate as he knows his team will sink without him. He also knows in the end, he will have to pay him. Like most cornered beasts, he is lashing out.
This may be true.... but there's 0.0 evidence that he's being dishonest.

A few interesting tidbits for all the Leafs fans out there.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs..._hot_on_spotts_breakout_strategy_feschuk.html

In the days after Steve Spott landed a job as a rookie assistant coach for the Toronto Maple Leafs in July, he was tasked with a bevy of responsibilities by head coach Randy Carlyle.

Among them, Spott was charged with devising a new breakout play for a team that has long struggled to get the puck out of its own end. Spott thought he’d hit on an effective strategy — until, that is, he shared the plan with Leafs leading scorer Phil Kessel. When Kessel voiced displeasure, Spott discovered a harsh reality of life in the NHL. In some corners of the league, and apparently in Leafland, a coach’s learning curve involves bending to the desires of star players.

At least, such was the gist of an anecdote Spott shared at a coaches’ clinic at which he was a guest speaker last month, this according to interviews with three minor-hockey coaches who were in attendance.

“Spotter said that when he went to Phil (with the breakout play), Phil said, I’m not doing it,” said one of the attendees, a former professional player.

Oh, so you're the one who spoke with Feschuk on the story.

;)

I always thought the Kessel attitude problem was blown way out of proportion but I'm starting to realize after this incident and comments from Leiweke about poor player attitude that this guy has problems and that with him and Dion as leaders on this team they aren't gonna go far

So much for Anthony Mantha making the Red Wings to start the season. Fractured right tibia, out 6-8 weeks.

They're not but since they don't have access to arbitration during those years, nothing is forcing a contract on the team if they don't want to so their only option is pretty much sign or sit. And sitting a season at that age can be disastrous for their career.

I always thought the Kessel attitude problem was blown way out of proportion but I'm starting to realize after this incident and comments from Leiweke about poor player attitude that this guy has problems and that with him and Dion as leaders on this team they aren't gonna go far

That incident clearly explains why he couldn't fit on a Claude Julien's team.

Looks like the lunatics are still running the asylum in Leafsland from the gist of that article. I'm sure that Phaneuf has 7 million reasons not to heed his coach's advice either.

Back