• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2014 - 2015 Season

Ture, but I'd much prefer MB packaging his 1st rounder with other components for a young talent, like say Draisaitl.

Well sure, and I'd prefer packaging our first this year and our first next year and other components to get the first overall pick this year.

...says the guy with a Leaf jersey in his avatar.

I don't have that avatar because I care about the Leafs. I have it because I like to rub Leafs fan's nose in shit.

It's part of my charm.

The Leafs are what they are. But it's the fans who choose to root for them who need their heads read.

Anyone who isn't willing to swing his stick at another player's head is too much of a pussy for Sal.

I don't have that avatar because I care about the Leafs. I have it because I like to rub Leafs fan's nose in shit.

It's part of my charm.

The Leafs are what they are. But it's the fans who choose to root for them who need their heads read.

How dumb is the guy that he can't figure out that you are mocking them?

Marie Lehmann Fetisov wants rulechange - so russian players can't leave the KHL before 28 years of age. #khl #nhl #twittpuck

Draconian much?

Russia is corrupt and backwards country run by gangsters, including its sports. They have to resort to this kind absurd coercion once the fissures become obvious. The Habs should atrange to get Scherbak Canadian citizenship.

The Coyotes have hired 25-year-old analytics guru John Chayka as Assistant GM.

It's a panic move for a league that is seeing a bunch of their good players move to North America. Not only good players, good Russians in a league that puts a premium in having Russians. Kovalchuk wants to come back, Radulov's deal is up after next year and who knows what he might do, Tikhonov apparently wants to come back to NA, Medvedev & Panarin just left... And I don't think it'll suddenly just stop.

Not only that but he was THE main driver into forcing the Russian federation to allow his players to play in the NHL. He was the first player to defect and actually left before the iron curtain fell.
You have to wonder how much of this viewpoint is Slava Fetisov's, and how much of it is actually....

SoA904hm.jpg

The KHL's been a pretty important vanity project for Putin---his oligarch buddies have spent a lot of money paying unsustainable salaries to players, in an attempt to make the KHL competitive for guys that, under normal circumstances, would be playing in the NHL. He's probably not particularly interested in just sitting back and watching the house of cards collapse. But the flow of top KHL players leaving certainly isn't going to slow down on its' own.

It's part of my charm.

I'm familiar with your schtick, Pat. I just find the cognitive dissonance of it amusing. You don't care about the Leafs, but yet at the same time care enough about them (or their fans, apparently) that you've sported a Leaf-themed avatar on a Habs board for years.

I'm familiar with your schtick, Pat. I just find the cognitive dissonance of it amusing. You don't care about the Leafs, but yet at the same time care enough about them (or their fans, apparently) that you've sported a Leaf-themed avatar on a Habs board for years.

I agree. In sports, apathy is stronger than hate.

the cap was supposed to even everything out... but now only the rich teams can afford the good coaches... and only the good teams can bury a Horton's $$ and not have it count against the cap... Before the cap, the rich teams' advantage was the roster... now it's the bench and who's not on the roster...

The cap was never about evening everything out.... thats the lie the NHL told us.... the real truth is the cap is about Cost Control and depressing salaries.

You have to wonder how much of this viewpoint is Slava Fetisov's, and how much of it is actually....

SoA904hm.jpg

The KHL's been a pretty important vanity project for Putin---his oligarch buddies have spent a lot of money paying unsustainable salaries to players, in an attempt to make the KHL competitive for guys that, under normal circumstances, would be playing in the NHL. He's probably not particularly interested in just sitting back and watching the house of cards collapse. But the flow of top KHL players leaving certainly isn't going to slow down on its' own.

I chose the avatar as a provocation back in the days when I used to post on the Leafs board. I never bothered changing it (in part because it's been so long that I forget how to do that, lol) Of course, unless or until the Leafs win a Cup there's no need to change it, is there? It's as relevant in 2015 as it was in 1968 and its impact increases with each passing season.

When I said that I couldn't care less about the Leafs I was talking about right now. Back when they were relevant and in danger of winning I worried about it and would watch their playoff games rooting for them to be eliminated. My hatred of the Ottawa Senators is more about how they continually failed to eliminate the Leafs than about anything they've done to the Habs. But since the 2005 lockout I've barely given the Leafs a second thought. I knew that once a salary cap was brought in the Leafs would have to get by on their wits instead of just throwing money around. And since I've always maintained that the Leafs are run by half-wits I knew they couldn't go very far. And history has proven that I was right. One measly playoff appearance since the introduction of the cap (and that was in a lock-out shortened season. to boot)

So right now, at least, I don't really think too much about the Leafs and the signing of Babcock isn't moving me in the direction of caring. Today he's the messiah, just like Brian Burke and Pat Quinn were before him. The media can fawn over him as much as they want to (as they also did with Burke, Quinn and whoever else gets a job with the Leafs) None of that has translated into Cups and unless or until it does I'm not even thinking about them, let alone caring about what they do.

Dave Hodge sums it up pretty succinctly:

"The hiring of Mike Babcock is further proof of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment's need and ability to land the biggest name available.

You can't imagine long meetings to evaluate lesser-known candidates when there's one well-known superstar on the horizon. That's the one MLSE must have and knows it can get. So Brian Burke, Randy Carlyle, Brendan Shanahan, Masai Ujiri, Tim Leiweke, and various soccer managers and players too numerous to list, preceded Babcock to Toronto as if by decree. Money talks, power acts, Toronto beckons, and it's all so predictable.

There's nothing wrong with that, but before it warrants a "thumbs up", the teams owned by MLSE have to win. Obviously, the best of the best can be hired without a lot of opposition from rival organizations, but games have to be won differently. Babcock will not only be trying to win Toronto's first Stanley Cup since 1967, he will attempt to prove that MLSE's might and clout and sprawling reach can be helpful in the pursuit of victory. As yet, there is no proof of that.

Instead, it can be suggested that MLSE's teams suffer from the over-confidence that oozes from a corporation that gets its way in every other way."

Well considering the fact that they were pretty much set to hire Boucher and then abruptly scratched those plans in order to hire Babcock I'd say that their plans are pretty fluid. And I think that whatever plans they may have had for a full-blown tear-down and rebuild probably also went out the window once Babcock was hired. You don't pay a guy who has never overseen a rebuild $50 mil to oversee a rebuild. Clearly they are expecting playoff revenue, not lottery picks.

But then that's the problem with MLSE: top heavy management structure with people working at cross-purposes all the time. One guy wanted a rebuild; someone else wanted to hire a coach with name recognition who could get them into the playoffs. Another guy decided to buy a football team. Still another decided to leak the Babcock rumour during the time when they knew (or ought to have known) that the football press conference would be taking place (and don't think that was an accident because it wasn't)

Bottom line: MLSE doesn't really have a plan; at least not one that they're willing to follow from beginning to end. There's a plan this morning and by the time you're finished eating lunch there's a completely different plan in place. They are the poster children of dysfunctional management. The knobs in Toronto know full well that perception is reality. It doesn't matter if the Habs have more fans worldwide or that the Leafs have practically no fans whatsoever in Quebec. The Leafs are Canada's Team because the Toronto-based national media says they are and treats them like they are. The media doesn't respond to opinions on this point; they dictate opinion on this point. They have decided that the Leafs are the team that matters and that's that.

This is what four decades of Quebec nationalism gets us. Everything important that used to be in Montreal has now moved to Toronto. The English media profile is no greater in Montreal than it is in Edmonton or Winnipeg or Regina. There's just Toronto and then everyplace else is lumped together as "the rest". Montreal isn't special anymore. It doesn't compete with Toronto in anything that matters anymore outside of sports. Technically the head office of the Royal Bank is still in Montreal but all the big decisions and the big wigs who make those decisions reside in Toronto. I've lived in both cities but when I go to Montreal I see empty tracts of land that were empty back when I was a kid. I go to Toronto and so much has changed since the last time I was there that I don't even recognize what city I'm in.

We need to stop trying to pretend that Montreal as a city is relevant anymore because it's not. The ONLY thing we have left is that friggin' hockey team that doesn't seem to want to win Cups all that badly anymore.

I couldn't care less. Either path means that the Leafs are irrelevant for the next few seasons and few teams ever stick to a plan for more than a couple of seasons before internal and/or external pressures forces them to change. MLSE has never shown the patience required for a proper rebuild in the past. I don't see that changing given the confrontational make-up of their management team.

I chose the avatar as a provocation back in the days when I used to post on the Leafs board. I never bothered changing it (in part because it's been so long that I forget how to do that, lol) Of course, unless or until the Leafs win a Cup there's no need to change it, is there? It's as relevant in 2015 as it was in 1968 and its impact increases with each passing season.

When I said that I couldn't care less about the Leafs I was talking about right now. Back when they were relevant and in danger of winning I worried about it and would watch their playoff games rooting for them to be eliminated. My hatred of the Ottawa Senators is more about how they continually failed to eliminate the Leafs than about anything they've done to the Habs. But since the 2005 lockout I've barely given the Leafs a second thought. I knew that once a salary cap was brought in the Leafs would have to get by on their wits instead of just throwing money around. And since I've always maintained that the Leafs are run by half-wits I knew they couldn't go very far. And history has proven that I was right. One measly playoff appearance since the introduction of the cap (and that was in a lock-out shortened season. to boot)

So right now, at least, I don't really think too much about the Leafs and the signing of Babcock isn't moving me in the direction of caring. Today he's the messiah, just like Brian Burke and Pat Quinn were before him. The media can fawn over him as much as they want to (as they also did with Burke, Quinn and whoever else gets a job with the Leafs) None of that has translated into Cups and unless or until it does I'm not even thinking about them, let alone caring about what they do.

Dave Hodge sums it up pretty succinctly:

"The hiring of Mike Babcock is further proof of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment's need and ability to land the biggest name available.

You can't imagine long meetings to evaluate lesser-known candidates when there's one well-known superstar on the horizon. That's the one MLSE must have and knows it can get. So Brian Burke, Randy Carlyle, Brendan Shanahan, Masai Ujiri, Tim Leiweke, and various soccer managers and players too numerous to list, preceded Babcock to Toronto as if by decree. Money talks, power acts, Toronto beckons, and it's all so predictable.

There's nothing wrong with that, but before it warrants a "thumbs up", the teams owned by MLSE have to win. Obviously, the best of the best can be hired without a lot of opposition from rival organizations, but games have to be won differently. Babcock will not only be trying to win Toronto's first Stanley Cup since 1967, he will attempt to prove that MLSE's might and clout and sprawling reach can be helpful in the pursuit of victory. As yet, there is no proof of that.

Instead, it can be suggested that MLSE's teams suffer from the over-confidence that oozes from a corporation that gets its way in every other way."

Hehe. Amazing.

For someone who "doesn't care" about the Leafs, you sure spend a lot of time writing about them.

You still don't get it.

I don't care about the Leafs per se. What I do care about is making sure their fans are constantly reminded of the fact that their favourite team takes them for fools and will never give them what they really want.

You have to remember that Leafs fan is everywhere. I need to have something at my fingertips to use against them whenever they pop up. It's like keeping a fly swatter within easy reach. The Leafs hire a coach and Leafs fan crawls out of the woodwork like a horde of cockroaches, aided and abeted by the media. I think the CBC now stands for "Constant Babcock Coverage". The only way to stop the insanity is to keep pounding away at them with the Leafs' lousy track record.

It isn't that I care about the team; it's that I am continually confronted with Leafs fans and their delusions. I can't just ignore them because willful ignorance of that magnitude offends me. I have to at least try to set them straight and if I can cause even one Leafs fan to reconsider their loyalty then it's all been worth it.

Friends don't let friends become Leafs fans.

Incidentally I do the same thing with Canucks fans but only because I have to live among them. If I go out of town a Canucks fan sighting is as rare as a unicorn so I don't have to worry about it. But no matter where I go there's sure to be a Leafs fan trying to spoil it for me like so many ants at a picnic.

Last edited:

You still don't get it.

I don't care about the Leafs per se. What I do care about is making sure their fans are constantly reminded of the fact that their favourite team takes them for fools and will never give them what they really want.

So just like Habs fans a per you

So just like Habs fans a per you

I'm equally annoyed with Habs fans who are willfully blind. If your fan base keeps telling you that you're great no matter what you do then you have no incentive to do anything. If however your fan base keeps telling you that you're not good enough and that the price of their loyalty is winning championships, you're going to try to win championships because the alternative is going out of business.

Leafs fans sent the Leafs the "we're just happy to be here" message decades ago, which is why they never even try to win anymore. All they do is look for new ways to exploit the fanbase for money. The Habs, for the time being at least, still need to win in order to guarantee financial success. But having fans who don't demand winning as the price of loyalty do everyone a disservice. It's the thin edge of the wedge. The only time I ever want to see the Habs' organization comfortable is when they're parading down Ste Catherine Street with the Cup.

Back