• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2014 - 2015 Season

I was watching some of the games in that Pittsburgh-Habs playoff series in 2010 recently. Max may have played the best hockey of his career in a couple of those games. Maybe that's what the Pens are reminiscing about?

Another funny aspect to all of this is how much Crosby & Lapierre dislike each other. Ever since Junior, Lapierre has been a major thorn in Crosby's side in virtually every game they played against each other and let's just say they'll never be inviting one another to their parties.

WeHave, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Savard put up back-to-back 28 goal seasons with the Habs and was in the team's top 3 scorers. In the Cup year he was limited by injury although he still played in 14 playoff games. Chelios didn't get Chicago anywhere.

You people have been without a Cup for so long you seem to forget what the point of all these trades and drafts are for. If you win the Cup everything you did leading up to it is automatically validated and every decision that you took is vindicated because winning the Cup is exactly the point. Sure, on an individual basis Chelios put up better numbers and played several years longer but he didn't help the team he was traded to get to where they were hoping to go. Norris trophies are nice but only Cups matter. We won that trade.

Savard put up back-to-back 28 goal seasons with the Habs and was in the team's top 3 scorers. In the Cup year he was limited by injury although he still played in 14 playoff games. Chelios didn't get Chicago anywhere.

You people have been without a Cup for so long you seem to forget what the point of all these trades and drafts are for. If you win the Cup everything you did leading up to it is automatically validated and every decision that you took is vindicated because winning the Cup is exactly the point. Sure, on an individual basis Chelios put up better numbers and played several years longer but he didn't help the team he was traded to get to where they were hoping to go. Norris trophies are nice but only Cups matter. We won the battle (Cup), but lost the war (Houle/GM turnstile & 21 yrs of drought).

Fixed.

You people have been without a Cup for so long you seem to forget what the point of all these trades and drafts are for. If you win the Cup everything you did leading up to it is automatically validated and every decision that you took is vindicated because winning the Cup is exactly the point. Sure, on an individual basis Chelios put up better numbers and played several years longer but he didn't help the team he was traded to get to where they were hoping to go. Norris trophies are nice but only Cups matter. We won that trade.

I can't believe I actually have to explain this...

Just cause you made a trade, then won the Cup doesn't mean that you wouldn't have won it otherwise. If we trade Subban for Phaneuf today and go on to win the Cup doesn't mean we wouldn't have won the Cup and that it was a good trade.

The "end justifies the means" theory is extremely lazy and flawed.

I can't believe I actually have to explain this...

Just cause you made a trade, then won the Cup doesn't mean that you wouldn't have won it otherwise. If we trade Subban for Phaneuf today and go on to win the Cup doesn't mean we wouldn't have won the Cup and that it was a good trade.

The "end justifies the means" theory is extremely lazy and flawed.

In the absence of any empirical proof to the contrary, results are all we have to go on. I'm not going to say that the trade is the sole reason we won in 93 or even the main reason. But yes the ends do justify the means because we have nothing else to measure. Winning the Cup is pretty much the only thing that makes a GM, coach or player immune to criticism. If Therrien could somehow manage to be behind the bench when his team won a Cup he'd have a get out of jail free card that could never be revoked. That's why you never see me criticizing Jean Perron. He was not a great coach but he won the Cup so I have to give him a pass. That's the way it works. Cups are the only measurable performance indicators that matter.

In the absence of any empirical proof to the contrary, results are all we have to go on. I'm not going to say that the trade is the sole reason we won in 93 or even the main reason. But yes the ends do justify the means because we have nothing else to measure. Winning the Cup is pretty much the only thing that makes a GM, coach or player immune to criticism. If Therrien could somehow manage to be behind the bench when his team won a Cup he'd have a get out of jail free card that could never be revoked. That's why you never see me criticizing Jean Perron. He was not a great coach but he won the Cup so I have to give him a pass. That's the way it works. Cups are the only measurable performance indicators that matter.

Like I said, lazy and extremely flawed.

HP won't allow me on the Leafs board, but I thought this statement by Zeke is worth mentioning.

"Price is way better this year than he was last year."

Price Save%
2013/2014 = .927
2014/2015 = .929

HP won't allow me on the Leafs board, but I thought this statement by Zeke is worth mentioning.

"Price is way better this year that he was last year."

Price Save%
2013/2014 = .927
2014/2015 = .929

You've proven and admitted several times that you post on that board with the intent of pissing them off. That's trolling and when you begged me to let you back you promised that you wouldn't do that.

As for zeke's statement. If it's the one I'm thinking of. We were discussing how Price is better this year than he was in 12/13 and zeke said "price is definitely worlds better than he was that year."

They were talking about 2012-13... Price had a .905 SV%.

Yeah, what HP said.

"Begged" eh - I could be wrong but I think I asked once, maybe twice for resumed access - and that was ages ago.

Nice use of language though. I appreciate the attempt at putting me down.

You're the only mod that has real issues with me. The others just think i'm a jerkoff and don't care.

"Begged" eh - I could be wrong but I think I asked once, maybe twice.

Nice use of language though. I appreciate the attempt at putting me down.

Okay... when you asked multiple times to be reinstated on the Leafs board and I was nice enough to fulfill your requests.

You mean the 1 or 2 times I asked? Stop using language to skew public opinion. That's weak.

Can we go back to talking about the Habs now?

You mean the 1 or 2 times I asked? Stop using language to skew public opinion. That's weak.

Can we go back to talking about the Habs now?

I'm sure if you call MT an idiot a few times, Patrol will let you post anywhere at will.

You're the only mod that has real issues with me. The others just think i'm a jerkoff and don't care.

Laughing-chimp-gif-animation.gif

That was a weird year. His April numbers destroyed what was a decent first two months.

Yup. And it all started with that weird game in Toronto where Price fell off the cliff. It was that game where Toronto scored from the goalie line and then a puck went off of Frazer McClaren's skate and drizzled into the net. I don't know if it's because he was injured, or he wasn't conditioned well enough because of the lockout, but he was great the first two months and his game (or confidence) completely disappeared. I can't recall a goalie playing so well and just falling into mediocrity overnight.

I saw the March 30 game against the Rangers. We won 3-0. Price was great and then boom

Like I said, lazy and extremely flawed.

And yet, like Xpo, you offer nothing in the way of rebuttal save for a one line dismissal. If anyone is being lazy it's you. If you work on the assumption that only Cups matter (and I certainly do, which is why I get so much grief from the "why can't we just be happy with what they give us?" crowd on here) then the Savard trade was a win. I'm not disputing that it wasn't a bad trade on other measurables. Certainly Chelios had more prime years ahead of him than Savard and he did win the Norris as a Blackhawk, but he didn't win a Cup there. So assuming that trades happen because teams are trying to win Cups then it's clear which team won.

And yet, like Xpo, you offer nothing in the way of rebuttal save for a one line dismissal. If anyone is being lazy it's you. If you work on the assumption that only Cups matter (and I certainly do, which is why I get so much grief from the "why can't we just be happy with what they give us?" crowd on here) then the Savard trade was a win. I'm not disputing that it wasn't a bad trade on other measurables. Certainly Chelios had more prime years ahead of him than Savard and he did win the Norris as a Blackhawk, but he didn't win a Cup there. So assuming that trades happen because teams are trying to win Cups then it's clear which team won.

But Chelios went on to win 4 Cups... if he'd stayed with the Habs we'd have won 4 more Cups, so the Habs lost the trade.

I explained once. I refuse to waste keystrokes explaining the same thing over and over.

Back