• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2014 - 2015 Season

See my second paragraph. Expectations will be very high. Just like they are with highly paid players.
I still can't believe any coach got an 8 year deal let alone 6 mil per.

We needed a coach and we got the best one available. If that raises expectations, so be it.

Though it doesn't seem like any Leaf fans I know expect dividends right away.

We needed a coach and we got the best one available. If that raises expectations, so be it.

Though it doesn't seem like any Leaf fans I know expect dividends right away.

You get a coach of that magnitude you should start seeing results right away....but obviously not to the extent of being a sure bet playoff team just yet.

The issue now is the Kessel and Phaneuf situation, what seemed like guaranteed goners at seasons ends may mean they are going to keep both these guys and hope Babcock rehabilitates their "character flaws"

That is not a good idea

Todd McLellan's deal with the Oilers is reportedly five years, $15 million.

You get a coach of that magnitude you should start seeing results right away....but obviously not to the extent of being a sure bet playoff team just yet.

The issue now is the Kessel and Phaneuf situation, what seemed like guaranteed goners at seasons ends may mean they are going to keep both these guys and hope Babcock rehabilitates their "character flaws"

That is not a good idea

his presence alone should get them to bubble status

That is not a good idea

It was mentioned at the press conference about needing to get lots of draft picks. I think they're still goners.

Babcock also dodged the Phaneuf questions.

That is not a good idea

I don't think anyone who listened to the press conference today got even a hint that that's what they were going to do. It doesn't sound like the plan has changed at all.

I don't think anyone who listened to the press conference today got even a hint that that's what they were going to do. It doesn't sound like the plan has changed at all.

"Plans" constantly change (not just in the NHL, obviously). Nothing is static in life.

Yeah, too bad the Habs were never in the running to get him. :(

Like all other teams who currently had a coach on set. None of them fired their coach on the spot to make room for Babcock. They must all be stupid.

Like all other teams who currently had a coach on set. None of them fired their coach on the spot to make room for Babcock. They must all be stupid.

Not as stupid as making language the first quality in hiring a coach.

Not as stupid as making language the first quality in hiring a coach.

This has nothing to do with the Babcock comment you made. The Habs couldn't be in the running if they had a coach who has years left on his contract and has done a reasonably OK job. Like Guibs said, other teams didn't fire their coaches on the spot to go after Babcock.

James Mirtle
Babcock says the Sabres offer was bigger. He wanted to coach the Leafs.

SportsCentre
Babcock to @tsnjamesduthie: ''It was an opportunity I had to take.''

Back