• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2014 - 2015 Season

Choosing NHL's top franchise player.

Craig Custance asked a dozen NHL executives, coaches and players to send in their top five franchise picks, in order, then assigned point values for each vote to come up with an overall ranking.

To keep things simple, there were no other factors brought to the table. It was simply a request to pick the five best players to build a franchise around. In all, the panel is made up of four current team executives (assistant GM or GM), one former GM, four current head coaches, one respected assistant coach and a player from each conference. The ballot of one of the coaches was excluded from the point total because he preferred not to rank them in any particular order. (The excluded ballot looked like this: Jonathan Toews, Steven Stamkos, Drew Doughty, Shea Weber and Jamie Benn.)

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/cra...x_cid=InsiderTwitter_Custance_FranchisePlayer

_____

The List:
1. Jonathan Toews (43)
2. Sidney Crosby (41)
3. Drew Doughty (21)
4. Ryan Getzlaf (8)
5. Nathan MacKinnon/Shea Weber (7)
6. Anze Kopitar/John Tavares (6)
7. Carey Price/Steven Stamkos (5)
8. P.K. Subban (4)
9. Evgeni Malkin (2)

It is nice that Subban and Price are on there but the fact crosby isnt number 1 makes me ignore the list.

This is total BS.....

If tomorrow morning Crosby and Toews were UFA, 30 GMs would fax Crosby's agent first, and then settle for Toews as a consolation prize if Crosby signs elsewhere....

Toews just leads all his teams to victory - be it WJC, Team Canada, or the Hawks. He plays key minutes, on the PP, PK, last minute of the period/game. Chicks may dig the long ball, but GM's dig the natural born leader who just finds a way to win.

Now if Cindy comes back & takes the Pens to another Cup win, all bets are off, he's #1 to stay (by a country mile) - but he's had a few bad playoffs, and hasn't been all that the past two Olympics either.

What have u done for me lately syndrome.....

Crosby has a bit of a rep as a whiner and cry baby who can get rattled when the going gets tough. Toews is captain serious and delivers when it counts.

Well no. He pretty much sucked the last time the Hawks won the cup.

Choosing NHL's top franchise player.

Craig Custance asked a dozen NHL executives, coaches and players to send in their top five franchise picks, in order, then assigned point values for each vote to come up with an overall ranking.

To keep things simple, there were no other factors brought to the table. It was simply a request to pick the five best players to build a franchise around. In all, the panel is made up of four current team executives (assistant GM or GM), one former GM, four current head coaches, one respected assistant coach and a player from each conference. The ballot of one of the coaches was excluded from the point total because he preferred not to rank them in any particular order. (The excluded ballot looked like this: Jonathan Toews, Steven Stamkos, Drew Doughty, Shea Weber and Jamie Benn.)

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/cra...x_cid=InsiderTwitter_Custance_FranchisePlayer

_____

The List:
1. Jonathan Toews (43)
2. Sidney Crosby (41)
3. Drew Doughty (21)
4. Ryan Getzlaf (8)
5. Nathan MacKinnon/Shea Weber (7)
6. Anze Kopitar/John Tavares (6)
7. Carey Price/Steven Stamkos (5)
8. P.K. Subban (4)
9. Evgeni Malkin (2)

Another proof that Toews is overrated.

Toews just leads all his teams to victory - be it WJC, Team Canada, or the Hawks. He plays key minutes, on the PP, PK, last minute of the period/game. Chicks may dig the long ball, nut GM's dig the natural born leader who just finds a way to win.

Because Sid has never led a team to victory.

If there was a 20 point gap I might buy it....but the gap is mindboggling huge.

The list proves that the NHL doesn't really have a ton of elite talent compared to other leagues.

Because Sid has never led a team to victory.

If there was a 20 point gap I might buy it....but the gap is mindboggling huge.

See my last post - what have u done for me lately syndrome. Crosby's not been all that the past few playoffs & last two Olympics.

Crosby has a bit of a rep as a whiner and cry baby who can get rattled when the going gets tough. Toews is captain serious and delivers when it counts.

He sure delivered last season when they won the cup...he wasn't even top 10 in playoff scoring and if you remember, most media were saying the Hawks were winning ''despite'' of him

Crosby >> Toews but people who fill out surveys like to seem wise and different. Now that Toews is da man, Crobsy will be the smart pick next year.

It wasn't just by chance that the "real" captain of the Olympic team was Toews. Just saying.

See my last post - what have u done for me lately syndrome. Crosby's not been all that the past few playoffs & last two Olympics.

It helps Toews to have studs like Keith/Seabrook on the back end throwing all those nice outlet passes....and it helps to have great wingers along side Toews....

I'm not sure Toews would even get 50 points a season playing with Dupuis and Kunitz....heck, he barely gets 60-70 playing with guys like Kane, Sharp, Hossa

It wasn't just by chance that the "real" captain of the Olympic team was Toews. Just saying.

The real captain was probably a guy Weber...he was the guy Babcock kept referring to when talking about leadership and all....

It helps Toews to have studs like Keith/Seabrook on the back end throwing all those nice outlet passes....and it helps to have great wingers along side Toews....

I'm not sure Toews would even get 50 points a season playing with Dupuis and Kunitz....heck, he barely gets 60-70 playing with guys like Kane, Sharp, Hossa

Don't see a Malkin on the Hawks, just sayin...

Maybe it's just me, but I thought Crosby was Canada's best forward in Sochi.

The first time crosby was under a PPG in the playoffs was this year.

Toews has been over PPG once.

I really like Toews but he is extremely overrated....he is a top 5 centre. Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos....than a battle with a bunch of 4 and 5.

The real captain was probably a guy Weber...he was the guy Babcock kept referring to when talking about leadership and all....

No, showed on the ice who the guys felt was the real captain. Crosby is the more talented player, but Toews has that "special" quality you don't always have in your superstars.

Back