• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2014 - 2015 Season

Yeah and it's a fair enough idea... I just wouldn't do it.

But I'd definitely look for a way to get him if possible. Pleks, NB and JDL?

Eller would part of a deal (that's not gonna happen but let's run with it) as Jarmo supposedly loves him . . . and possibly Gallagher too.

Unless they are Russian they won't

BTW, if I'm MB I call CBJ and maybe offer 27 for Johansen? Of course we then have to sign him too . . .

I would swallow hard & make that deal. Amongst the rarest of finds in the NHL IMO, are big bodied, right handed top line C, Johanssen also brings more of a speed game than Galchenyuk (not by a significant amount however), and I'm still not fully convinced Galchenyuk has what it takes to be a top line C in the NHL (lack of natural defensive awareness & faceoff skills both of which Johanssen is better at).

The only issue is cap hit & age. Don't think Galchenyuk will be in for as big a raise as Johanssen after this season & chucky cheese is younger - albeit not by a lot.

I would swallow hard & make that deal. Amongst the rarest of finds in the NHL IMO, are big bodied, right handed top line C, Johanssen also brings more of a speed game than Galchenyuk (not by a significant amount however), and I'm still not fully convinced Galchenyuk has what it takes to be a top line C in the NHL (lack of natural defensive awareness & faceoff skills both of which Johanssen is better at).

The only issue is cap hit & age. Don't think Galchenyuk will be in for as big a raise as Johanssen after this season & chucky cheese is younger - albeit not by a lot.

Considering Galchenyuk has put up considerably better numbers at every age and every level why do you think Johansen is all of a sudden going to be better now?

The size difference is definitely an advantage for RJ but it's not like he's a net crashing physical player. For his size he's relatively soff. AG in his upcoming 20 year old season will likely match what RJ did last year at 21.

The not a lot younger thing confused me.

Chuck is two years younger. Which is a ton considering they are breaking into the league.

Chuck at 18 :48 GP 9G 18A 27PT
Johansen at 18: WHL 92 points....1.5PPG...chuck put up 2.0 PPG

Chuck at 19: 65GP 13G 18A 31 PT
Johansen at 19: 67GP 9G 12A 21PT

Chuck at 20: ?
Johansen at 20: 40GP 5G 7A 12PT

I wouldn't do it. I don't quite trust Johansen character. I'm not yet convinced he's the real deal and that he won't revert back to mediocrity.

He can dish for sure but he also has a great release. Bobby Mac said today he sees him as a PPG guy and I agree.

That's more than what Subban signed for and not a bad offer for a bridge deal. He doesn't have much negotiation power except sitting out.

It's still a terrible deal for Johansen. He should be praying for some garbage team like Calgary or Florida to make him an offer sheet.

It's still a terrible deal for Johansen. He should be praying for some garbage team like Calgary or Florida to make him an offer sheet.

I don't think it's terrible, he only had one good season. That 32M for 6 years is especially not bad, sending him as UFA at 28. He could probably negotiate a couple of millions higher as well.

Usually not a plan. The kid has no leverage. He'll eventually crawl back (to CBJ) just like PK did two years ago. 'Tis the system.

Usually not a plan. The kid has no leverage. He'll eventually crawl back (to CBJ) just like PK did two years ago. 'Tis the system.

I am so sick of hearing the word leverage but I digress, I feel like I am at a Marty Latz conference. While he has less power, it isn't like Columbus wants to go without him either. He is their best player so if he doesn't play, they are weaker. He could sign an offer sheet and while it would be matched, he could get what he wanted. Columbus' Plan B might not be as good as Johansen's.

He could pull a Phil Kessel too and end up traded.

It isn't as one sided as it appears.

Call it what you will but CBJ controls his destiny more than he does.

It's the whole purpose of restricted free agency. Teams get a level of cost control early on then the players can get whatever the market will bare later on. It's a fair system. And let's not lose sight of the fact that he's a (career high) 63 point player that's being offered over $5m a year to sell off only 2 of his UFA years and 4 RFA years.

That's a pretty sweet deal.

I don't think it's terrible, he only had one good season. That 32M for 6 years is especially not bad, sending him as UFA at 28. He could probably negotiate a couple of millions higher as well.

Sure, the 6 & 8 year deals are pretty good, but that two year deal is downright terrible.

He has the same leverage Drew Doughty had a few years ago; He's their best player.

Sure, the 6 & 8 year deals are pretty good, but that two year deal is downright terrible.
That's what players of his calibre and better get on bridge deals. Hell Subban got less.

He likely wants a bridge deal like O'Reilly got, 2/10 (which was actually more like 2/12 given how little of the lockout season was left when he signed). Given that, I can understand why 2/6 seems way too low. Of course, if he truly wants that deal, the question is how long to wait for that offer sheet.

Can someone tell me where bridge deals are mandated? Why should any player be required to take a two year contract? If he is injured during those two years and can no longer play, he is screwed big time.

The hard part for the players is that most GMs do not sign players to offer sheets. If Johansen waits long enough, he will get one.

Back