• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

I'm not buying it. We had enough talent to beat the Rangers and the Sens. Julien cleaned up the D but at the expense of the counter attack. He removed much of the pressure in the neutral zone and pretty much got rid of the stretch pass. He slowed down the game and wanted to play a trench match and dump and chase and lots of hitting. So he got rid of any talent and speed we had on the bottom two lines to replace it but bigger but slower players. He created much of this problem. Once we were down by a goal we were out. Only once did we come back from a goal deficit in the whole series. Pathetic. I blame the coach(es) heavily for this loss.

I'm not buying it. We had enough talent to beat the Rangers and the Sens. Julien cleaned up the D but at the expense of the counter attack. He removed much of the pressure in the neutral zone and pretty much got rid of the stretch pass. He slowed down the game and wanted to play a trench match and dump and chase and lots of hitting. So he got rid of any talent and speed we had on the bottom two lines to replace it but bigger but slower players. He created much of this problem. Once we were down by a goal we were out. Only once did we come back from a goal deficit in the whole series. Pathetic. I blame the coach(es) heavily for this loss.

I don't think any playoff team was as thinnest as us in level of top 6 forwards. Of course that is not the only reason why we came short but probably one of the most important one,

tbh the only guy that i was really impressed by his playoff performance regarding defensive core was Weber, the rest of our top 4 were so so, nothing to write a page about.

Last edited:

It very much reminded me of how his Bruins would lose to the Habs in the playoffs.

I guess Julien signing was another panic move, consider the length of the contract and money as well(even is not counted on cap but still).

A trash team that we beat 3 times in a week, is one win away.

The Habs didn't need much.
Habs don't have one player as dominant as Karlsson (yes even with Subban) and their top-6 is light years behind the Sens: not one C to match Turris & Brassard's 200-ft game, Ryan, Stone, Hoffman and MacArthur who missed all 3-games vs Habs.

Most importantly playoffs are all about matchups, had the Habs faced the Bruins in round 1, would've likely been a completely different outcome. The NYR negated he one advantage the Habs had...Lundqvist providing .946 goaltending vs Price's .936

Last edited:
I guess Julien signing was another panic move, consider the length of the contract and money as well(even is not counted on cap but still).
Julien move was MB admitting he couldn't swing a deadline deal, instead acquired the best available coach on the market to ensure he team made the playoffs. The goal was to ensure they didn't miss the playoffs, which was starting to look iffy with MT as coach.

As for the moves to beef up the 4th line, the org knew for a long time they were going to end up playing the NYR, who are much bigger, and used the strategy of adding size. Does everyone forget how it worked at that late season game at MSG? Habs ran the NYR out of he rink - yes in hindsight it was flawed strategy due to inept C depth being virtually impossible to overcome.
No one could've anticipated Max wouldn't even score 1-goal, that was the difference in the series Max scoring that breakaway goal in game 5, and Galchenyuk deciding to go MIA without even a slight ounce of care or determination.

Last edited:
I didn't feel good about the hiring of the recycled Julien , despite the euphoria present on this board. I guess he will hold the fort until Bergevin thinks the time is right to rehire Therrien.......

Beefing up the 4th line.was a complete failure of.a strategy. The guys acquired were largely useless

MB has put so much energy the last couple of years on the 4rth line it's kinda pathetic.

The fact this organization has difficulty even developing two decent bottom line players is sad

Julien is a good coach, actually a very good coach.

if people are judging him due to his last few years in Boston let it be known that Boston has been making some poor roster moves since they won the cup.

Julien cleaned up the D and that got the Habs in the playoffs. But the offense strategy was no different than Therrien. Witness the last playoff game, Habs blew their brains out to get a slim 1-0 lead after the first, then had nothing left in the tank. Sounds familiar? How did the Habs manage to get off to good starts in the regular season with Therrien? They played a full court press game on the 200 foot ice surface and couldn't maintain it throughout the season. Nothing substitutes for talent, it takes much less effort to score goals.

didn't the habs have the most third period comebacks in the league?

so no it did not really sound familiar at all

MB has put so much energy the last couple of years on the 4rth line it's kinda pathetic.

The fact this organization has difficulty even developing two decent bottom line players is sad

And they are offering a new contract to Sylvain Lefebvre. Pretty ridiculous.

Back