• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around the League: 2013 - 2014 Season

Like I said though...3 years max and then this will be a bad contract

He's on;y 26 years old. I don't think he'll be in serious decline at age 30, especially if the NHL keeps expanding.

He's on;y 26 years old. I don't think he'll be in serious decline at age 30, especially if the NHL keeps expanding.

Yes he will. The guy looks out of shape and I'm not too sure of his mental durability.

Sure they are all over-paid. I just don't think phil should of gotten that much. he's a 6.5-7mil player imo.

This is simply ignoring the economics of the league

How many guys in the league are making 7.5 plus a year?

almost twice as many as have outpointed him over the last 3 years, and 4 times as many than have outscored him.

Kessel would have drawn a 8.5-9 million x 7 year contract had he hit the open market.

Yes he will. The guy looks out of shape and I'm not too sure of his mental durability.

He became a league superstar in the leagues biggest fishbowl after defeating testicular cancer at 20 yrs old.

This is seriously what you come up with?

He became a league superstar in the leagues biggest fishbowl after defeating testicular cancer at 20 yrs old.

This is seriously what you come up with?

You must not be too familiar with him.

You must not be too familiar with him.

Apparently not

I can understand some of the legitimate criticisms someone could throw at this contract. He's not the type of guy who will likely ever be a captain, as he's very awkward with the media (today's press conference was about as good as I've seen him in front of a lot of cameras and he was a twitchy mess), he's fairly soft and easy to deal with along the boards, so he'll never be the "complete" player that most people prefer as their franchise guy. Of course, it's an 8 year deal and anything can happen, it's a man's game and people get hurt. He's not the most robust looking superstar and one does wonder how well he would bounce back from significant injuries.

But he's a ****ing cancer survivor with one nut who pushed his way out of Boston so that he could go somewhere hockey was worshipped, and despite all of that pressure and the bullshit "Leafs lost the trade" narrative that he's bombarded by since year 2 of his stay in Toronto, he's become a consistent, all around offensive force for the team. He's an elite goal scorer, elite playmaker, and for all intents and purposes QB's the PP from the sideboards...and he's damn good at that too.

I'm cool with criticisms, but let's at least keep them reasonable.

no way would he have signed a 3 year contract so saying that is all you would have given him is stupid

why he didn't test the waters is another issue but it seems few players are willing to do that anymore

no way would he have signed a 3 year contract so saying that is all you would have given him is stupid

why he didn't test the waters is another issue but it seems few players are willing to do that anymore

I didn't say I would have given him three years. I said they will regret it in three years.

Is Kessel overpaid? Yeah, probably, but so are a bunch of players in the league.

For his numbers alone, $8M is good for Kessel. The only problem is that he does nothing else outside of his numbers.

All in all, though, I think it's a very fair deal.

All this ridiculous contract proves is that the lockout was all for nothing. Within 5 years the owners will be looking for yet another way out.

Bottom line is that the Leafs are paying Crosby-like money for a guy who can't hold Crosby's jockstrap. It's entirely based on numbers that were put up in a phony, truncated season. Kessel will never come close to earning that money. All Nonis accomplished was to make contracts even more difficult to get done under the cap. What is Phaneuf going to want now? $7 million? And god help them if Khadri scores 20 goals or more. The Leafs are already in salary cap hell. They're going to be completely hamstrung when they realize that Kessel isn't as good as his salary.

Gomez Part 2.

It might be a strange thing to say about $64M, but the Kessel contract is a ho-hum boilerplate deal, about as surprising as Tm Horton's offering someone $9/hour or whatever the going rate is for quick service joints (Xpo, you may want to chime in here)

Wehave does have a point though, fast forward five years and the owners will be crying that the system doesn't work for them etc just like last time, and will want more concessions and protections from themselves.

Wehave does have a point though, fast forward five years and the owners will be crying that the system doesn't work for them etc just like last time, and will want more concessions and protections from themselves.

of course, why would next time be any different?

Back